• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

conservative party accused of 'fundamental' failure" over islamaphobia

Yes, the fact that Trump and Brexit did not happen in those countries is irrelevant. They are still energised by the events elsewhere.

Brexit actually reduces the power the far right has over the Britain people though. They have minimal power in the UK, but quite a lot of power across Europe (and thus in the EU) and this power is increasing.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Brexit actually reduces the power the far right has over the Britain people though. They have minimal power in the UK, but quite a lot of power across Europe (and thus in the EU) and this power is increasing.
If Johnson or one of the other 'no deal' Tories becomes PM, I'd have to disagree.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Haters gonna hate. IMO, it's irrational to rationalize with irrational people. Haters are irrational. There is no trying to understand them. They just need to hate for one reason or another. If a person wants to hate, they'll do so. That, IMO, is an internal mental disorder. Usually a reaction to frustration and feelings of personal failure.

How do you handle hateful people? How do you handle hateful ideas? Do you tolerate hate?

I ask, because while most Muslims are not hateful people, Islam is a collection of hateful ideas. Do you tolerate hateful ideas? Or do you work to marginalize hateful ideas?

icehorse

Premium Member
The same behaviors are being described; bickering over the word to describe it. Anti-Muslim, Islamophobic, its the same behavior. Getting caught up in it creates apologetics on both ends. Prejudice is prejudice. Renouncing one word or another isn't a "real world" issue or problem.

It is absolutely not the same behavior. The ideas of Islam are written down for anyone to read. If you read those ideas and find them hateful, you are not being prejudiced. You are instead exercising your critical thinking skills.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is absolutely not the same behavior. The ideas of Islam are written down for anyone to read. If you read those ideas and find them hateful, you are not being prejudiced. You are instead exercising your critical thinking skills.
The definition of prejudice is against people and without good reason. To read the Quran and point to such verses, by definition that is not prejudiced. Prejudiced behavior is prejudiced behavior. It serves no good purpose to bicker over what word we use to describe it. Kind of like how discussions where homophobia get derailed bg someone wanting to split hairs over what word is used.

icehorse

Premium Member
The definition of prejudice is against people and without good reason. To read the Quran and point to such verses, by definition that is not prejudiced. Prejudiced behavior is prejudiced behavior. It serves no good purpose to bicker over what word we use to describe it. Kind of like how discussions where homophobia get derailed bg someone wanting to split hairs over what word is used.

"Islamophobia" has been a dishonest term from its inception. A far more honest phrase, for a real phenomenon, is "anti-Muslim prejudice".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
"Islamophobia" has been a dishonest term from its inception. A far more honest phrase, for a real phenomenon, is "anti-Muslim prejudice".

Have you seen the definition? I posed it yesterday, here it is again

Islamophobia : dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Did you read this?

Islam as a political force.... What a nonsensical definition. By definition all secularist are Islamophobic regardless of the religion they follow, including Islam.

What???

Tell it to those who defined the definition.

Anyway, you agree with the general definition if not the political aspect?

And of course islam is a political force as well as a religious one.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Why are there so many “islamophobes” that an ideology felt the need to invent a special name for it.

Ask the same of homophobes? My guess is because there are nasty people out there who will hate anything that they dont consider to their liking

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
How do you handle hateful people? How do you handle hateful ideas? Do you tolerate hate?

I ask, because while most Muslims are not hateful people, Islam is a collection of hateful ideas. Do you tolerate hateful ideas? Or do you work to marginalize hateful ideas?
You can't. People will believe what they want to believe. The only control is if they break the law; then they can be given a fair trial and a fair hanging. :)

People predisposed to hate someone or a group of people will find any reason to hate them. Antisemitism still abounds. People are free to cherry-pick from the Quran, the Torah and the Bible to justify their hatred.

Shad

Veteran Member
What???

Tell it to those who defined the definition.

You linked it thus accept the definition.

Anyway, you agree with the general definition if not the political aspect?

Nope as prejudice is not aimed at an idea (Islam) but at people. Which would make it Muslimphobia

And of course islam is a political force as well as a religious one.

Which is problematic as this become vague or a catch-all. Some uses of Islam in politics are major issues. However there are people that interpret Islam differently to the point of not wanting the religion to be part of the nation-state's government.

Shad

Veteran Member
The difference is that being LGBT is not a choice, being an Islamist is a choice.

Tell that to children being indoctrinated by their parents. Indoctrination of youth, in my view, one of the only reason religious belief is held by the majority of humanity.