• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

conservative party accused of 'fundamental' failure" over islamaphobia

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
This is quite interesting.

Mohammed Amin: It is time to abandon the word “Islamophobia"
Modern usage of “Islamophobia” comes from the 1997 report by the Commission on British Muslims and Islamophobia: Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All.

I wrote in 2012 that the report was seriously flawed, because it conflates attitudes towards Islam and attitudes towards Muslims. Re-reading the report while composing this article I noted that it does not contain a short, quotable definition of “Islamophobia”; perhaps one of the many disadvantages of committee authorship.

Subsequently, there have been attempts to steer the word Islamophobia away from its somewhat nebulous Runnymede 2017 definition, and instead to use it as a shorthand for reprehensible behaviours such as:

• anti-Muslim hatred,
  • anti-Muslim bigotry,
  • anti-Muslim prejudice,
  • anti-Muslim discrimination.
However, when people seek to use “Islamophobia” as a shorthand for the above behaviours, others respond by asserting their freedom to have negative views of Islam, and profess a legitimate fear of Islam, thereby harking back to the original meaning of “Islamophobia” as understood by the Runnymede 2017 report.

Source https://www.conservativehome.com/pl...is-time-to-abandon-the-word-islamophobia.html

Altfish

Veteran Member
This is quite interesting.

Mohammed Amin: It is time to abandon the word “Islamophobia"
Modern usage of “Islamophobia” comes from the 1997 report by the Commission on British Muslims and Islamophobia: Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All.

I wrote in 2012 that the report was seriously flawed, because it conflates attitudes towards Islam and attitudes towards Muslims. Re-reading the report while composing this article I noted that it does not contain a short, quotable definition of “Islamophobia”; perhaps one of the many disadvantages of committee authorship.

Subsequently, there have been attempts to steer the word Islamophobia away from its somewhat nebulous Runnymede 2017 definition, and instead to use it as a shorthand for reprehensible behaviours such as:

• anti-Muslim hatred,
  • anti-Muslim bigotry,
  • anti-Muslim prejudice,
  • anti-Muslim discrimination.
However, when people seek to use “Islamophobia” as a shorthand for the above behaviours, others respond by asserting their freedom to have negative views of Islam, and profess a legitimate fear of Islam, thereby harking back to the original meaning of “Islamophobia” as understood by the Runnymede 2017 report.

Source https://www.conservativehome.com/pl...is-time-to-abandon-the-word-islamophobia.html
I don't have a problem at all with that.
Perhaps we should adopt the phrase 'Muslimophobia'. or 'Dark skinned Asianophobia' - whichever, it is endemic in the Tory party.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Perhaps we should adopt the phrase 'Muslimophobia'. or 'Dark skinned Asianophobia' - whichever, it is endemic in the Tory party.

Who is the Home Secretary?

You cannot get much higher than that in the Tory party, but he is still in the running to do so.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Thanks. This is just furthers my conviction that Islamophobia is a nonsensical term used to shut people up.

Mine too.

Who is the Home Secretary?

You cannot get much higher than that in the Tory party, but he is still in the running to do so.

Obama got into the Oval Office but that doesn't change the fact the States had problems with societal racism during his tenure.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is an inconvenient fact that the Left would rather ignore.
No, it is a fact that there are asians within the Tory party. May had very few left and he was 3rd choice.

Ask Baroness Warsi what she thinks of her party's treatment of Muslims.

Notanumber

A Free Man
No, it is a fact that there are asians within the Tory party. May had very few left and he was 3rd choice.

Ask Baroness Warsi what she thinks of her party's treatment of Muslims.

The Tory party has treated her very well. Peerages are not ten a penny.

I prefer Priti Patel.

Shad

Veteran Member
Obama got into the Oval Office but that doesn't change the fact the States had problems with societal racism during his tenure.

Obama was between a rock and a hard place. The flip side was the messiah or savior complex people projected which expected him to bring "them out of Egypt" so to speak

Shad

Veteran Member
The UN created the Universal Declaration on Human Rights. Muslim majority countries rejected the UDHR and created their own, Sharia-friendly version, called the Cairo Declaration on Human Rights in Islam.

This is more of a slap to the UN than Muslims. After all which side caved? Muslims or the UN? It was the latter.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
This is more of a slap to the UN than Muslims. After all which side caved? Muslims or the UN? It was the latter.

I'm not familiar with this, can you say a little more? thanks

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Obama was between a rock and a hard place. The flip side was the messiah or savior complex people projected which expected him to bring "them out of Egypt" so to speak

I agree. My point was to counter NAN's claim that the Tories can't possibly be racist because Sajid Javid is the Home Secretary

The UNDHR guides the HRC yet members that rejected the UNDHR are council members. The UN, as always, is weak and caves instead of maintain a standard it created itself....

OHCHR | HRC Welcome to the Human Rights Council
OHCHR | CHR Background information

I agree with this also. It doesn't make any sense at all. Those members should be summarily removed from the HRC but who has the backbone to do it?

Yes, a backward step to try to reach a compromise.

A plan that has obviously failed as utter tyrannies now take their place on the HRC and lecture other countries on what constitutes a breach of human rights. We have governments like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia & China on the HRC. It is an obscenity. What's worse is they can use their presence on the council to bolster their international persona - "look, we're on the Human Rights Council so obviously we have a track record as a tolerant nation".

EDIT: Sorry @Firemorphic, you probably got an alert telling you I quoted you only to find this post doesn't mention you. I had a response planned for something you said but I'll move it to a dedicated post.