• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazata

I take it that the forum name "Conservative only" is honored more in the breach than in the observance.

Tambourine

I take it that the forum name "Conservative only" is honored more in the breach than in the observance.
I've been adressing conservatives specifically, and made a point to avoid questioning any of their actual beliefs, so I consider my participation here to be in the spirit of the rules.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I know I've accidentally posted here when the thread title did not indicate conservative only. But I've deleted my posts when I realized it.

The software where people can indicate religious preferences and open up DIRs for posting apparently does not exist for politics.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Here's how I'd put it.
Conservatives are often more liberal than liberals.
Tom
It's hard to know what "conservative" means on a forum like this. Who decides?

For example, I have voted Conservative most of my adult life and have always characterised myself as what we used to call a "pink Tory". I am a believer in market economies (subject to regulation to avoid abuse) and the power of the profit motive to produce good social outcomes and avoid waste. I supported Thatcher's reforms of industry and her cutting back of the power of the trade unions in the 1980s. I feel a lot of sympathy with Republicans of the Lincoln Project today and I am on record doing so on this forum in the last 24hrs.

However, if "conservative" on this forum means "blindly supporting Trump", then I'm not one of those, obviously. But then, the forum does not, to my knowledge, say that "conservative" means one specific strand of N. American conservatism.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It's hard to know what "conservative" means on a forum like this. Who decides?

For example, I have voted Conservative most of my adult life and have always characterised myself as what we used to call a "pink Tory". I am a believer in market economies (subject to regulation to avoid abuse) and the power of the profit motive to produce good social outcomes and avoid waste. I supported Thatcher's reforms of industry and her cutting back of the power of the trade unions in the 1980s. I feel a lot of sympathy with Republicans of the Lincoln Project today and I am on record doing so on this forum in the last 24hrs.

However, if "conservative" on this forum means "blindly supporting Trump", then I'm not one of those, obviously. But then, the forum does not, to my knowledge, say that "conservative" means one specific strand of N. American conservatism.
Just look at me as the standard :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
There is a sticky at the top of this forum and the other political only forums explaining things:

Definitions for the restricted political areas.

We know nobody reads it, but it's there. We can't make people read, unfortunately. :shrug:
Thanks, and I buy into about half of that list, since a lot of it does not make much sense to traditional conservatives on this side of the Atlantic. I identify with what you might call the " technocratic, internationalist" conservatism of people like John Major or David Cameron, though not with the "populist nationalism" of Bozo (Johnson) or Trump.

But the populist nationalists have moved the goalposts so far and so fast in the last 5 years that is hard to know these days whether people like me still qualify as conservative or not. We have become almost orphans.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Thanks, and I buy into about half of that list, since a lot of it does not make much sense to traditional conservatives on this side of the Atlantic. I identify with what you might call the " technocratic, internationalist" conservatism of people like John Major or David Cameron, though not with the "populist nationalism" of Bozo (Johnson) or Trump.

But the populist nationalists have moved the goalposts so far and so fast in the last 5 years that is hard to know these days whether people like me still qualify as conservative or not. We have become almost orphans.
The centre ground has been deleted.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Here's how I'd put it.
Conservatives are often more liberal than liberals.
Tom
It's funny that you mention it. Even though I consider myself conservative, I do find a lot of liberal ideas appealing, but have been loathe to say it beforehand.

I suppose you could say I'm a closet liberal who wants to go about things conservatively. A lot of people today lack patience which I understand, but it would be necessary if you're going to do something right. I think if we did that, we wouldn't need things like conservatism and liberalism anymore much less a sub-forum characterizing the two.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The centre ground has been deleted.
This is my abiding fear about politics in the English-speaking world at the moment. We seem to be frogmarched into signing up to stupid caricatures of a mature political position. But then, you can hardly communicate nuanced politics in 140 characters. :rolleyes:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is there a discription (not personal biased) of what conservative is to know who should post here despite their opinions on issues that may or may not be one's position?

For example, one can have a strong opinion against Christianity and still be a Christian.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Is there a discription (not personal biased) of what conservative is to know who should post here despite their opinions on issues that may or may not be one's position?

For example, one can have a strong opinion against Christianity and still be a Christian.
The sticky to the DIR section pointed out by @Quintessence contains a list of things typically subscribed to by "conservatives" within the meaning of the forum definition. It's a very N American list, including a load of US-specific culture war, hot button issues like abortion, same sex marriage and states' rights, that have little or no resonance in other countries, so as a Brit I've ignored those.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

That's definitely a valid assessment.

I know there are conservative liberals out there. Rather, please let there be.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

***MOD POST***

For the second time in this thread:

Folks - if you don't identify as a political conservative, please don't post comments at all in the Conservative Only DIR. If you do post anything, you may ask respectful questions only. Same goes for any and all DIRs.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
***MOD POST***

For the second time in this thread:

Folks - if you don't identify as a political conservative, please don't post comments at all in the Conservative Only DIR. If you do post anything, you may ask respectful questions only. Same goes for any and all DIRs.

Please don't bold red (and don't quote me in regards to rules-its highly discriminative and I don't appreciate it). I don't read bold red because it hurts my eyes.

Maybe it would be good to post our political views in our replies to know who is conservative and who isn't?

It's hard to know based on discussion and there isn't a space for political views with religion; so, how would one know if one has not asked first?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.