• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Judaism and Process Theology

Recently I've been tremendously moved by the works and podcasts of Conservative Rabbi Bradley Shavit Artson - Dean of the AJU in LA - particularly when it comes to the way he marries Judaism with process theology.

Not sure I wholeheartedly agree with process thought, but I do think its tenets to be possible and realistic. That is to say, its answer to the question of human suffering is the least patronizing I've heard so far.

As I'm getting more familiar with Rabbi Artson's work, I find myself constantly asking, if one's views on Torah and the nature of Gd are so wildly progressive, what is the impetus for leading a conservative life? Why accept halakha as legally binding? If Gd is constantly evolving, why insist on the authority of scripture? Would process theology not be better aligned with the reform or even reconstructionist movement?

My question to you all is: Do you think Conservative Judaism is compatible with process theology? Or do you think it irrelevant to compare denominational values with philosophy?

From Wikipedia, the basic themes of Process Thought:

- Gd is not omnipotent in the sense of being coercive. The divine has a power of persuasion rather than coercion. Process theologians interpret the classical doctrine of omnipotence as involving force, and suggest instead a forbearance in divine power. "Persuasion" in the causal sense means that Gd does not exert unilateral control.

- Reality is not made up of material substances that endure through time, but serially-ordered events, which are experiential in nature. These events have both a physical and mental aspect. All experience (male, female, atomic, and botanical) is important and contributes to the ongoing and interrelated process of reality.

- The universe is characterized by process and change carried out by the agents of free will. Self-determination characterizes everything in the universe, not just human beings. Gd cannot totally control any series of events or any individual, but Gd influences the creaturely exercise of this universal free will by offering possibilities. To say it another way, Gd has a will in everything, but not everything that occurs is Gd's will.

- Gd contains the universe but is not identical with it (panentheism, not pantheism or pandeism). Some also call this "theocosmocentrism" to emphasize that Gd has always been related to some world or another.

- Because Gd interacts with the changing universe, Gd is changeable (that is to say, Gd is affected by the actions that take place in the universe) over the course of time. However, the abstract elements of Gd (goodness, wisdom, etc.) remain eternally solid.

- Charles Hartshorne believes that people do not experience subjective (or personal) immortality, but they do have objective immortality because their experiences live on forever in Gd, who contains all that was. Other process theologians believe that people do have subjective experience after bodily death.

- Dipolar theism is the idea that Gd has both a changing aspect (Gd's existence as a Living Gd) and an unchanging aspect (Gd's eternal essence).

dantech

Welcome to the forums.

I believe Levite is our only conservative member here, so he will no doubt answer your questions.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I just want to preface my response by saying that I studied under Rabbi Artson, and I have great respect for him: he is a mensch and a fine scholar.

But I disagree with him very much in regard to his theology.

To be fair to him, I think there are elements of pure process theology that R' Artson, in his particular theological work, modifies and reshapes. I think, for example, the way that he deals with reality is not quite as an ultimately insubstantial series of events; I think-- though I could easily be in error-- that he would probably say that it was more of a melding of material phenomena and mental/spiritual phenomena.

Also to be fair, I don't think there's any question for R' Artson that Jews should be observant. He has always been crystal clear on that point. And while I am not sure he would invoke the authority of scripture, per se, he would and has certainly been quite clear on the importance and authenticity of rabbinic authority, which in some ways boils down to the same thing.

However, I think your questions as to reconciling elements of process theology and rabbinic thought and tradition are entirely fair questions, and I have never been able to see effective answers for them. Nor have I heard any from R' Artson. Perhaps in the years since I studied under him, he has come up with such answers-- I don't know.

But at least when I was hearing him speak, I felt that he never offered good answers. It always seemed to me that for R' Artson, he needed process theology in order to establish a theology wherein God was truly omnibenevolent, yet acknowledged that evil and suffering exist within the world. In order to achieve this, he sacrificed God's omnipotence in favor of omnibenevolence. While I understand that many process theologians attempt to depict the God of their theology as still sort of omnipotent, since (as you note) they claim that the classic conceptualizations of omnipotence necessitate God being the primary and direct actor of all actions. However, I think this argument is a straw man-- a large number of scholars in Rabbinic tradition (and, for that matter, some schools of thought in other Western religions, also) characterize God as omnipotent but do not depict Him as the primary and direct actor of all actions. So it really does boil down to either God being omnipotent or not.

And while I understand why R' Artson would wish this, I find such a theology entirely unsatisfactory. To me, if God is not omnipotent, not omniscient, not truly capable of everything, then I fail to see why He is God. Though it is, emotionally, a harder theology, I would far rather that God be omnipotent, but not omnibenevolent. Which is not to say I don't believe God is basically good-- only that He is not solely and essentially God. I think God is basically good, but that-- from our perspective, here within this plane, this life-- can be ruthless sometimes, sacrificing the immediate good of individuals within specific lifetimes on earth in favor of more overarching, long-term good for the universe or humanity as a whole or the Jewish People as a whole or so on and so forth.

For R' Artson, that's a dealbreaker, a no-go. For him, God must always desire only good for every individual, and be willing to do His best to make only good for every individual, but-- because of the reality of evil and suffering-- be unable to ensure only good for every individual.

For me, however, such a God is no God at all, as I cannot conceive of worshipping anything so imperfect, so ineffectual. I also have trouble with the idea of God changing and evolving in the sense that process theology demands-- to me that seems entirely contrary to God's eternality and omnipresence. But honestly, that's hugely secondary to the omnipotence issue.

Some of the other elements of process theology, though, I have no problem with, given the proper recontextualization and adaptation. For example, something approaching or roughly analogous to theocosmocentrism is found in Lurianic Kabbalah-- although that's also, in its most refined form, essentially a kind of monism, which sort of negates the theocosmocentric aspect of it. Likewise, in terms of free will, I might characterize the universe very similarly to what you described above, with the key difference being that it is not that God "cannot totally control any series of events or any individual," so much as that God chooses not to totally control any series of events or any individual. This goes back to omnipotence, and the mischaracterization of it in process theology: omnipotence is just that, that God has the power to potentially do anything. It does not necessarily follow that God does do everything He is capable of. He may well choose not to do things, if He has good reasons not to do so.

In any case, process theology-- even in R' Artson's adapted form-- leaves me wholly unsatisfied. And, for what it is worth, I have heard R' Elliot Dorff (shlit"a), our movement's greatest philosopher and one of our finest poskim, make similar critiques of R' Artson's theology, though of course with great respect and collegiality.

Is it compatible with Conservative Judaism? It would probably be hard for it not to be. The range of theological options just within traditional Jewish thought is considerable; historically, as long as one observed the mitzvot according to the halachah, our tradition has given vast space to toleration of philosophical and theological differences. In a sense, that is still the case: if one follows the mitzvot, one's philosophical motivations are to a great extent irrelevant. And since we have long recognized that everything we may speculate about the true nature of God, once stripped of anthropomorphisms, metaphors, analogies, imagery, and so forth, amounts to nearly nil in the face of the ineffability of Ein Sof-- at least from our perspective, within this plane of existence-- there is little reason to suppose process theology to be any ranker a heresy (or the reverse, I suppose) than any other theology.

But I must say that personally-- disregarding, for the moment, the halachic minimums of observance as our primary standard-- I think the problem is not the compatibility of process theology with Conservative Judaism, but with any traditional Judaism, or any kind of even vaguely traditional conceptualization of God as both ultimate and personal-- to say nothing of covenantal.

But of course, R' Artson would say very differently.

Thanks for your reply. :)

it is not that God "cannot totally control any series of events or any individual," so much as that God chooses not to totally control any series of events or any individual. This goes back to omnipotence, and the mischaracterization of it in process theology: omnipotence is just that, that God has the power to potentially do anything. It does not necessarily follow that God does do everything He is capable of. He may well choose not to do things, if He has good reasons not to do so.

I'm inclined to agree with you, Levite. For me, it's a stretch to say that any gd who has created, sustains and sources the Universe(s) cannot also affect changes within it. I'm more inclined to believe that He chooses/has chosen not to, for reasons we are rarely privy to. That said, I agree with Rabbi Artson in that Gd's role in creation is more like a mother: always aware of the highest possibility within any context, and willing to offer that possibility when called upon, but not able to protect us from life, nor from the consequences of our own actions. It's possible that at times we are simply unable to understand this highest possibility, blinded by our own egos and selfish concerns.

Another theme introduced by R. Artson is the idea that Gd cannot (for our purposes, does not) break the rules. In a universe that operates on natural laws, Gd cannot override them. I'm of the opinion that perhaps Gd even is these laws, which, for me, supports the previous point made regarding the dissonance between human understanding of justice, and Gd's.

I understand the diversity in theological perspective within Judaism (it's this unique characteristic that I value most), but I guess my question really is: why observe mitzvot if one does not believe we have been commanded to do so? Or rather, how does one land on the Conservative approach if one's convictions about Gd, Torah, the nature of existence, etc. make living traditionally (in accordance for the most part with halakha) unnecessary? Why not be Reform?

Or does it simply not matter?

For my part, it is for my own spiritual needs that living Jewishly within the Conservative structure fits me, while I don't believe that Gd Himself necessarily requires me to. So I'm wondering if others, such as Rabbi Artson, but also any Conservative Jew, also feel this way, or if there is a deeper, scripture/rabbinical thought-based foundation for the two being compatible. Like, for instance, the Conservative opinion that while traditional Judaism needs no reform, we must still adapt to the values of modern society. Is that uniquely suited for process theology? Am I just talking out of my tuches? :p

Levite

Higher and Higher
I'm inclined to agree with you, Levite. For me, it's a stretch to say that any gd who has created, sustains and sources the Universe(s) cannot also affect changes within it. I'm more inclined to believe that He chooses/has chosen not to, for reasons we are rarely privy to. That said, I agree with Rabbi Artson in that Gd's role in creation is more like a mother: always aware of the highest possibility within any context, and willing to offer that possibility when called upon, but not able to protect us from life, nor from the consequences of our own actions. It's possible that at times we are simply unable to understand this highest possibility, blinded by our own egos and selfish concerns.

Yeah, I definitely agree that God's behavior and choices are much like a parent's. A good parent teaches their children, sets expectations of behavior, and when they are young, provides some measure of punishment and reward; but when the children begin to get a little older, the parent must give the children room to make their own decisions and make their own mistakes, even if those mistakes can be painful or upsetting. But then the parent must be there to offer comfort and sympathy as the children learn from their mistakes. It's not that the parent lacks the ability or opportunity to prevent some or even all of those mistakes, but that they must refrain from intervening, stand back from acting, for the ultimate good of the children-- even when the children don't see it that way at the time.

Another theme introduced by R. Artson is the idea that Gd cannot (for our purposes, does not) break the rules. In a universe that operates on natural laws, Gd cannot override them. I'm of the opinion that perhaps Gd even is these laws, which, for me, supports the previous point made regarding the dissonance between human understanding of justice, and Gd's.

I think the way I would put it is that God designed this universe to work in a certain way, according to natural laws, and designed people to have free will. God may have the power, the ability, to change these things by radically altering the universe, recreating it, or perhaps occasionally by intervening (although I think too much intervention would eventually denature the universe), but that God chooses not to exercise that power, so that the universe can exist as He wishes it to exist, and so that human free will continues to be a phenomenon with meaningful reality. Ultimately, if God had wanted the universe to be different, had wanted humans not to have free will, or to be constrained it its use, He would have created a different universe. He didn't.

I don't want to say that God is (or is in) the natural laws of the universe because I think He could have made the universe-- and thus the natural laws thereof as well-- differently. But had He done so, He would not be different.

I understand the diversity in theological perspective within Judaism (it's this unique characteristic that I value most), but I guess my question really is: why observe mitzvot if one does not believe we have been commanded to do so? Or rather, how does one land on the Conservative approach if one's convictions about Gd, Torah, the nature of existence, etc. make living traditionally (in accordance for the most part with halakha) unnecessary? Why not be Reform? Or does it simply not matter?

Well, I don't know how would come to a Conservative approach to observance without commandedness. I think that there can be different notions of the precise nuance of the meaning of commandedness, but without commandedness, I think it would be hard to take the Conservative approach per se.

That doesn't necessarily mean that one might not come to a very similar level of observance from different approaches. For example, I am a little friendly with Rabbi Arthur Green, the scholar of chassidism and former head of RRC, and I can say that he lives quite observantly, certainly to the level of many observant Conservative Jews-- more observant than many Conservative Jews, actually. And his theology is certainly not Conservative. Likewise, I know several other Reconstructionist rabbis who are more traditionally Kaplanian in their thinking, and they also are quite observant. For that matter, my wife and my mother are both Reform rabbis, and I am friendly with a number of other Reform rabbis, such as Rabbis David and Jackie Ellenson, and they are all quite observant-- as observant as many observant Conservative Jews.

It is possible to be fairly observant for theological reasons that have little to do with traditional concepts of commandedness. I must admit that personally, I don't find most of those theologies and reasons very compelling. But many do, and in the end, it's more important to be observant than to be observant for a specific reason.

So I don't know that it makes a difference, in the end, whether one is Conservative or not. To my mind, I think it is important to be halachically observant in some meaningful fashion, but that is not only for theological reasons, but because I think halachah is the integral framework of Jewish tradition and society, without which our culture would devolve into either chaos or ineffectual vagueness. If we wished to dispense with it, it would necessitate substituting something else that could equally successfully hold Judaism into some sort of coherence. And so far, I have seen nothing proposed that could be that something else. But to be halachically observant does not necessitate one being affiliated with the Conservative movement. Or Orthodoxy, for that matter.

For my part, it is for my own spiritual needs that living Jewishly within the Conservative structure fits me, while I don't believe that Gd Himself necessarily requires me to. So I'm wondering if others, such as Rabbi Artson, but also any Conservative Jew, also feel this way, or if there is a deeper, scripture/rabbinical thought-based foundation for the two being compatible. Like, for instance, the Conservative opinion that while traditional Judaism needs no reform, we must still adapt to the values of modern society. Is that uniquely suited for process theology? Am I just talking out of my tuches?

No, I don't think that's uniquely suited for process theology. I think there are other theological approaches that work very well for Conservative Judaism. If you haven't read anything by R' Elliot Dorff, I recommend his work very much. You might want to look at The Unfolding Tradition: Philosophies of Jewish Law, and For the Love of God and People: A Philosophy of Jewish Law, and perhaps also Knowing God: Jewish Journeys to the Unknowable. Although I have various areas of disagreement with R' Dorff also, I think overall, his theology and philosophy tends to be much more effective than R' Artson's.

I absolutely will. Been interested in hearing from others on the topic of where observance and theology intersect for a long time, and trying to reconcile my desire to be more observant with my progressive ideology at the same time. Thanks for the recommendations!

Akivah

...I find myself constantly asking, if one's views on Torah and the nature of Gd are so wildly progressive, what is the impetus for leading a conservative life? Why accept halakha as legally binding? If Gd is constantly evolving, why insist on the authority of scripture?

I view the Tanakh as being similar to the US Constitution in that while it forms the bedrock of our beliefs and can't be changed, the actual day-to-day details are interpreted to fit changing facts and circumstances. I believe totally in G-d's words and He appointed judges to apply the Laws to specific circumstances. I lead a Conservative life because I feel most comfortable with it.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Been interested in hearing from others on the topic of where observance and theology intersect for a long time, and trying to reconcile my desire to be more observant with my progressive ideology at the same time...

I am constrained, as are others, by the rules of the Conservative DIR from exploring this and other potential topics with you. You might want to pose your query in the general Judaism DIR.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Either that or ask a moderator to move this thread to Judaism DIR so that the previous posts are not lost.

Generally speaking, my rabbi is on the liberal side of Conservative in terms of theology, and usually holds that continuing the tradition of generations of our ancestors is pretty strong motivation in itself to adhere to mitzvoth and halachah (on which he tends toward the stricter side, in contrast to theology). To me, this is definitely true, but not enough to replace Gd-given mitzvoth as a motivator.

Rhiamom

So I don't know that it makes a difference, in the end, whether one is Conservative or not. To my mind, I think it is important to be halachically observant in some meaningful fashion, but that is not only for theological reasons, but because I think halachah is the integral framework of Jewish tradition and society, without which our culture would devolve into either chaos or ineffectual vagueness. If we wished to dispense with it, it would necessitate substituting something else that could equally successfully hold Judaism into some sort of coherence. And so far, I have seen nothing proposed that could be that something else. But to be halachically observant does not necessitate one being affiliated with the Conservative movement. Or Orthodoxy, for that matter.

YES! This! And a bit more, too; Reform Jews observe the mitzvot that are meaningful to them. It is not just the observing of some halacha that matters, but feeling the obligation to observe them all that matters. I think like a Reform Jew, but I cannot accept that the mitzvot are not binding, because they are the glue that holds Judaism together. I may think many of the mitzvot are silly rules made up by rabbis, but those are OUR silly rules, like them or not. I am bound, whether I personally think any given rule is Moshe mi Sinai or something my rabbi made up on the spot. And I want to be bound, too, so that I always have something more to do, another mitzvah to begin observing, a path to follow.