• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Heresies: What is a real Christian?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Mister_T said:
Anything other than those 2 quotes I posted, I feel, is irrelevant.

I'm not sure whether we should laugh or cry.

Well, both of these fellers are laughing, but I'm sure that it's not for the same reason.
:seesaw:

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Mister_T said:
This pretty much sums up what a Christian is to me. These quotes are the foundation of my beliefs. I don't waste my time worrying about what version of Christianity people are following. Doing so serves no fruitful purpose and creates division, anger, and sometimes hatred. Anything other than those 2 quotes I posted, I feel, is irrelevant.
Correction: Pasted

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
angellous_evangellous said:
I'm not sure whether we should laugh or cry.

Well, both of these fellers are laughing, but I'm sure that it's not for the same reason.
:seesaw:
You could both for all I care. Your actions are what counts.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
sojourner said:
The problem is that the term "Christian" begs a different definition than "follower." Jesus didn't define his followers, other than the fact that they followed him.
John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." NIV

Jesus defined discipleship quite clearly. :D

Squirt

That's not a conservative heresy, which is essential to the OP. Just because I have heard others commit heresies in their definition of a "real" Christian does not mean that I am willing to stretch the defintions of Christ, God, and the Holy Spirit to include anyone who wants to redefine those terms, be they LDS, Rhastafarians, or anyone else who wishes to make up definitions to those terms that are mutually exclusive of normative traditional Christianity.
Tell me, AE, when you and God sat down together and wrote the rules, who had the final say -- you or Him? Your problem is that you simply cannot see beyond your own personal biases. I hate to burst your bubble, but you have no more right than the next person to define the word "Christian." You don't have to like my addition to your little list of "conservative heresies," but I'm telling it way I see it. All you've done is compiled a list outlining your own prejudices. If you don't want people to debate your position, don't ask for their input. The bottom line is this: You define a "Christian" in one way and, in your opinion, I don't qualify. I define a "Christian" in another way and, in my opinion, you don't qualify. It's no more complicated than that.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
NetDoc said:
John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." NIV

That's what I was trying to say. ;)

A

angellous_evangellous

Squirt said:
Tell me, AE, when you and God sat down together and wrote the rules, who had the final say -- you or Him? Your problem is that you simply cannot see beyond your own personal biases. I hate to burst your bubble, but you have no more right than the next person to define the word "Christian." You don't have to like my addition to your little list of "conservative heresies," but I'm telling it way I see it. All you've done is compiled a list outlining your own prejudices. If you don't want people to debate your position, don't ask for their input. The bottom line is this: You define a "Christian" in one way and, in your opinion, I don't qualify. I define a "Christian" in another way and, in my opinion, you don't qualify. It's no more complicated than that.

We can add that one definition (LDS) has no demonstratable connection to Christian history whatsoever, and therefore does not have any meaningful realtionship to the word 'Christian.'

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
NetDoc said:

And to be a disciple is to follow the example and teaching of your master: Jesus loved, so we love, too.

But that doesn't address the fact that being a Christian and being a follower may mean two different things.

Squirt

We can add that one definition (LDS) has no demonstratable connection to Christian history whatsoever, and therefore does not have any meaningful realtionship to the word 'Christian.'
You've obviously missed the whole point of our Savior's message, AE. What a shame.

fredmatthew25

Jesus said follow me. The early church members were called Christians. The Bible teaches quite clearly what it is to be a Christian.

"In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, Charity." -Alexander Campbell

fredmatthew25

Regarding your list of heresies...some of those items listed are meant to be adhered to by people of the faith-tithing being one of them. Some of the other things like hating homosexuals and some of the other things mentioned-while the Bible teaches against homosexuality, (yes, it really does :) we are still supposed to ask these people into a right relationship with Christ.

I think one of the problems today is that the term Christian is used to broadly (It encompases too many people who are lost and far from the truth.)

Squirt

:faint: Will you ever tire of using God's name as a missle?
I've never done it yet, and there's no chance I'm going to. I don't believe in that. But when you start acting like the good Christian you claim to be, I'll probably stop harrassing you. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

Squirt said:
I've never done it yet, and there's no chance I'm going to. I don't believe in that. But when you start acting like the good Christian you claim to be, I'll probably stop harrassing you. :D

Christian :slap: LDS Christian

Squirt

Christian :slap: LDS Christian
Well, you know I always figure that "real" Christians are bound by Jesus' commandment to do until others as you would have them do unto you. I'm just assuming that you're treating me the way you'd want me to treat you. Did I miss something?

nutshell

Squirt,

Just walk away. Lets "turn the other cheek" and let AE slap us around somemore if he wishes, but lets not stoop to his level any longer.

Sincerely,

-nutshell