• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Heresies: What is a real Christian?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

What is a "real" Christian?

There are conservative Christian theologians who promote various heresies related to salvation that cause some people who claim to be Christian accuse other people who claim to be Christians to not be "real" Christians.

Some conservative heresies that I'm aware of add the following requirements for someone to be a "real" Christian (I have either been accused on RF of not being a Christian or have personally heard pastors require the following, and I'm not talking about Fred Phelps):

1) The requirement to believe that the Bible is the perfect word of God
2) The requirement to hate homosexuals
3) The requirement to share one's faith
4) Tithing
5) Speaking in tounges
6) Voting for Bush - seriously
7) Being against abortion
8) Hating black people (in the South, of course)
9) Hating Mexicans (in Texas)
10) Supporting Israel
11) Hating Muslims
12) Yawning in a boring illogical Scriptural discussion
13) Wearing a dress to church
16) Wearing jewlery to church

So have you heard of anyone adding anything else to be a "real" Christian?

What is a "real" Christian to you?

A

angellous_evangellous

Dang!

How can I forget:

1) Wives doing what the husband says
2) Marrying
3) Husband works, wife stays home to homeschool the kids
4) Hate homosexuals
5) Never divorce

A

angellous_evangellous

Victor said:
One that is in Grace.

So everyone is a real Christian, even if they don't claim to be one at all?

We're all alive and breathing by the grace of God, and therefore in grace.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
angellous_evangellous said:
So everyone is a real Christian, even if they don't claim to be one at all?

We're all alive and breathing by the grace of God, and therefore in grace.

Darn it...I forget youre not catholic.:banghead3
We believe in different types of Grace.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06689a.htm

The one I speak of is santifying Grace. The kind that attaches to the soul and becomes a part of you and your daily life.

A

angellous_evangellous

sandy whitelinger said:
Don't forget about hating homosexuals.

I listed hating homosexuals twice. Oh yeah, you have to hate homosexuals. And when you're done hating them, you read the Bible and then hate them some more. After that, you write your congressman to keep them from having insurance and visiting eachother in the hospital, keep them from having families, and keep them from buying homes. After that, you hate them some more.

You also have to picket gay day at Six Flags and Disney World. And hate them some more. Then you have to not hire them (Ross Perot) and send promote hate literature (James Dobson). And hate them some more.

Also, boycott movies and write networks that have gay actors or themes. And hate them some more.

Next, bash them everywhere you get the chance. And then, you guessed it, hate them even more.

If I hated all the people that conservative Christians tell me too, I couldn't call myself a Christian at all.

EDIT: btw, are those two guys in your avatar? What are they doing together?

A

angellous_evangellous

alexander garcia said:
Hi, did the Messiyah ever say anyone was a Christian ?

Nowhere. It's a name that outsiders gave to the followers of Jesus at Antioch in Acts 11.26. It was designed to make fun of the group.

It means "little Christ" and was originally derogatory. Remember that the Jesus followers were claiming to follow one who was crucified and supposedly raised from the dead. It was just as foolish and incredible then as it is now. Christians, however, very soon began to wear it as a badge of honor, because we truly do want to be like Jesus (that is, who the apostles through the NT say that Jesus is).

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
13) Wearing a dress to church.

real_men.gif

does this count?

Squirt

So have you heard of anyone adding anything else to be a "real" Christian?
Well, of course. To be a Christian, one must believe in the "real" Jesus and not the "LDS" Jesus. How on earth could you have forgotten the most important criteria?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Squirt said:
Well, of course. To be a Christian, one must believe in the "real" Jesus and not the LDS "Jesus." How on earth could you have forgotten that one?

That's a good one.....limitless collection of Gods....

Squirt

It means "little Christ" and was originally derogatory.
Where did you get this definition? I believe it more accurate means "follower of Christ" or "disciple of Christ."

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
there are hardly any real christians in this world except for the devout in the east. the devotut in the west are usually discriminatory, ignorant, etc. i myself am christian and look at me. *Points to FF avatar. i also follow a very mystical path of christianity not known in much of the US or europe. many christians are diverse and different.

Adstar

It's a name that outsiders gave to the followers of Jesus at Antioch in Acts 11.26.

Yes it was a tag that outsiders gave to us. But Christ is just another way of saying Messiah. So i suppose the closest word today would be Messianic.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Karl R

~Lord Roghen~ said:
there are hardly any real christians in this world except for the devout in the east.
Then, by your definition, I would not be considered a "real" christian?

I follow a very western, non-devout, non-discriminatory, non-mystical set of beliefs.

~Lord Roghen~ said:
many christians are diverse and different.
I agree with that statement.

SoyLeche

meh...
Squirt said:
Well, of course. To be a Christian, one must believe in the "real" Jesus and not the "LDS" Jesus. How on earth could you have forgotten the most important criteria?
It's been a while, but hasn't AE said that specific thing to us, multiple times?