• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Consciousness

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What is consciousness?

To know what it is we have to start by defining it.

Consciousness-the state of being aware, aware of one's surroundings.

In this sense, computer system have consciousness. Consciousness is necessary for self-driving cars.

I think the definition folks are looking for is that consciousness in the sense of being aware of being aware.

I can contemplate a process for how this works:

The brain, our brain creates an illusion of itself. A non-physical "I" that everything which happens we understand to happen to this "I". The brain then identifies with the "I". So while the brain is awa of what is happening to it, it projects these happenings onto the illusionary "I" so we, the brain, feels it is aware of this "existence" self experiencing these happenings.

The awareness of being aware, but we are actually not. The trick is how the brain can so completely identify with the "I".

I see it with virtual reality games. We so identify with the person in the virtual world we accept that what is happening to this virtual character is actually happening to us.

This to me is the "magic" trick we don't yet understand. How the brain immerses itself into this virtual identity it creates for itself. So much so that for the spiritualist the "I" is the real self, the physical brain is not.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Seems like what you are describing to me is the ego. Consciousness has to be more than that, though, doesn't it?

Yes, I think I need to study Freud more.
Freud divides the mind into 3 parts, the id, the ego and the super ego.
The id being our unconscious desire, the super ego being the ideal self and he ego, task with the duty of bridging the gap between the two.
I suppose the devil, God and us stuck in the middle. I don't think quite the same but maybe parallels.

It does feel like something is missing but I'm not sure what.
Even while intellectually holding this view, I can't stop feeling there is something more here than a simple physical process.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Yes, I think I need to study Freud more.
Freud divides the mind into 3 parts, the id, the ego and the super ego.
The id being our unconscious desire, the super ego being the ideal self and he ego, task with the duty of bridging the gap between the two.
I suppose the devil, God and us stuck in the middle. I don't think quite the same but maybe parallels.

It does feel like something is missing but I'm not sure what.
Even while intellectually holding this view, I can't stop feeling there is something more here than a simple physical process.

Really? I've felt my mental processes slow down and slip away in the past, and this has given me the impression that we are all just a bunch of meat machines that can power down when our brain's processes stop. It feels like there's something more, but all that really is an illusion of the ego and "self identity" it seems. It's an effective illusion, though. :)

I've seen what brain trauma can do to others, though. Their entire sense of self changes when those parts of the brain are damaged, it seems. The brain forms new pathways and new connections are made. The old person dies and a new one is born.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In my Advaita philosophy, Consciousness/Brahman/Atman is the ground/basis of reality. This Consciousness incarnates (animates) the body. Consciousness is what separates animate from inanimate objects.

What Consciousness 'IS' is something we can not get our minds behind. It has been described as pure infinite sat-cit-ananda (being-awareness-bliss) by those masters that have stilled all the noisy levels of their mind and experienced full Brahman-Realization moments.

A spark of this infinite Consciousness is the little voice/experiencer we imagine as being in our head.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Do you not think psychoanalysis to be a pseudoscience?

I keep running into comparisons to Freud. I'm just curious whether I am treading over ground that's already been tread over.

I guess I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. I would strongly question it though.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I keep running into comparisons to Freud. I'm just curious whether I am treading over ground that's already been tread over.

I guess I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. I would strongly question it though.
Personally, I'm not completely dismissive of his ideas; I just think it's more philosophical speculation rather than science.

Yerda

Veteran Member
What is consciousness?

In this sense, computer system have consciousness. Consciousness is necessary for self-driving cars.

I think the definition folks are looking for is that consciousness in the sense of being aware of being aware.
Hullo.

I'd say this is a higher form of consciousness. The kind associated with abstract reasoning. Consciousness is much better understood as experience. Anything that has experiences of any description is conscious to some extent.

This makes the definition easy and instantly grasped by anything with consciousness.

What do you think?

Nakosis said:

The brain, our brain creates an illusion of itself. A non-physical "I" that everything which happens we understand to happen to this "I". The brain then identifies with the "I". So while the brain is awa of what is happening to it, it projects these happenings onto the illusionary "I" so we, the brain, feels it is aware of this "existence" self experiencing these happenings.

The awareness of being aware, but we are actually not. The trick is how the brain can so completely identify with the "I".

I see it with virtual reality games. We so identify with the person in the virtual world we accept that what is happening to this virtual character is actually happening to us.

This to me is the "magic" trick we don't yet understand. How the brain immerses itself into this virtual identity it creates for itself. So much so that for the spiritualist the "I" is the real self, the physical brain is not.
This sounds similar to the description of the conscious self given by Thomas Metzinger. The self is a part of the brain's model of the world - the part that is infinitely close to the centre of the model in some sense. You might find his work interesting.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is consciousness?

I see it as being aggregated with an amazing way of communicating. After all. We are made up of cells and other living organisms of which makes up this singular 'I'.

I think we are essentially organic mechs.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I see it as being aggregated with an amazing way of communicating. After all. We are made up of cells and other living organisms of which makes up this singular 'I'.

I think we are essentially organic mechs.

Without the built in rocket launchers. :D

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is consciousness?

Consciousness is the subjective presence of the experiential and mental states. It cannot be generated from physical interactions but is an independent element of reality that is instantiated in some physical systems.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Consciousness is the subjective presence of the experiential and mental states. It cannot be generated from physical interactions but is an independent element of reality that is instantiated in some physical systems.

Independent of what? The physical brain?

If who we are is attributed to a non-physical substance independent of the brain, then physical damage to this organ should not change a person. But there is an overwhelming amount of neuropsychological evidence to suggest that this is, in fact, not only possible, but relatively common.
Can a brain injury change who you are?

If damage to the brain can change our personality then what does this independent element actually do?

Damage to the brain can cause memory loss. So personality and memory seem tied to the physical brain. So if we remove the brain, what would consciousness be without our memories and our personality?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Independent of what? The physical brain?

If who we are is attributed to a non-physical substance independent of the brain, then physical damage to this organ should not change a person. But there is an overwhelming amount of neuropsychological evidence to suggest that this is, in fact, not only possible, but relatively common.
Can a brain injury change who you are?

If damage to the brain can change our personality then what does this independent element actually do?

Damage to the brain can cause memory loss. So personality and memory seem tied to the physical brain. So if we remove the brain, what would consciousness be without our memories and our personality?
Damage to a calculators causes it to miscalculate. Does not mean that mathematical truths are dependent on the calculator.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Damage to a calculators causes it to miscalculate. Does not mean that mathematical truths are dependent on the calculator.

It means the calculator is no longer the same as it was before.
I don't expect to convince you otherwise especially since I used to use the same argument.

I suppose I kept questioning beliefs until there was nothing left to believe in. Now I just accept that what happens next is a mystery.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It means the calculator is no longer the same as it was before.
I don't expect to convince you otherwise especially since I used to use the same argument.

I suppose I kept questioning beliefs until there was nothing left to believe in. Now I just accept that what happens next is a mystery.
The basic problem is there can never be a causal physical explanation for subjective nature of consciousness, as its not a property that can be observed from the outside. One would have never known that a phenomena like consciousness exists at all though any sort of observation whatsoever if we did not have this prior first person access to it.