• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Consciousness

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's hard to argue with Physicists like James Jeans, Max Planck and others, especially when what they say unites science and religion.
Max Planck had no understanding regarding consciousness. His opinions on the matter is merely opinion, nothing more really. So is that of most scientists or religious people.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Is there really an agent of perception you are calling 'the subjective mind', or is there simply the act of perception itself, sans an agent of perception?

Is there an agent of flowing water called 'river', or is there simply flowing water?

The realized man feels the same pain and pleasure as the ordinary man, but is not attached to them in a way that says 'this is MY pain; this MY pleasure'; for him, there is just the experience of pain or pleasure; there is just the flow of life from one moment to the next, and he is that flow.

'Satori is just like ordinary everyday life, except that it is about 2 inches off the ground'
Suzuki
Sensory information has to be processed in order to be perceived. If it isn't processed, then there is no awareness of it.

crossfire

Premium Member
Sensory information has to be processed in order to be perceived. If it isn't processed, then there is no awareness of it.
From this thread:
What is objective?
godnotgod said:
crossfire said:
I would agree with you that everything is subjectively processed. This allows for existence outside of your mind. (If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? Yes! imo)

There are pressure waves, but no sound. For sound to occur, a receptor such as an ear must be present to detect the sound, and a processor, such as a brain, is required to interpret what the receptor detected. But even then, there is only the registration of the pressure waves. What is finally needed is consciousness.
let me repeat:
godnotgod said:
and a processor, such as a brain, is required to interpret what the receptor detected.

ajay0

This common realization of the same reality is unlearned and unconditioned. We did not compare notes before making our statements, nor did we consult some textbook in arriving at our conclusions. It is not a religious doctrine of any kind. It is a presence that one simply awakens to; one that was there all the while. And this is typical of the wisdom so realized independently of one another all over the world in different times and places.

This is very well put.

The only fact you truly know is that you exist. All the rest is conceptual constructs in mind. ~ Gilbert Schultz

However we miss this essential reality due to lack of attention and create the unreal conceptual self with its intrinsic dualistic perception due to excess of conceptual thought and imagination. Just as pain calls for attention to the body, suffering is a similar call for attention to this unnatural state of the mind.

It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy -- truth liberates. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

godnotgod

Thou art That
From this thread:
What is objective?

let me repeat:

When I said that 'everything is the subjective', I meant that who you really are is the universe itself. So there is no individual separate self; there is only the universal Self, playing itself as the individual self.

You left out the most important part of perception:

godnotgod said:

"...a processor, such as a brain, is required to interpret what the receptor detected. But even then, there is only the registration of the pressure waves. What is finally needed is consciousness."

A tape recorder in the forest can record the sound pressure waves of the tree falling, but there is no sound until a conscious being hears the tape.

In the Jacobo-Grinsberg experiment I cited earlier, Test Subject A directly heard and felt the stimuli which was recorded via the EEG machine, but Test Subject B, though his brain registered those same stimuli as shown by his EEG record, was unaware of them. If you are sleeping, you may not hear sounds in your environment, but your brain registers them. Where is subjective mind?

If the sound being heard is a fire alarm, the brain processes the sound, but it means nothing until consciousness decides what to do about it.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Max Planck had no understanding regarding consciousness. His opinions on the matter is merely opinion, nothing more really. So is that of most scientists or religious people.

What Planck is saying is the result of insight into the nature of things. Insight is to see things as they are, without thought. There is no opinion here since opinion is the product of the thinking mind. Pure consciousness is not thinking. It is seeing.

crossfire

Premium Member
So are you saying that the brain is the subjective mind?
No. I'm asking where the sensory perceptions are processed and experienced. If they are processed in the brain, then are they also experienced there? At least we've finally established the centralized processing center for sensory perceptions. With the centralized processing also comes a sort of unity among all things since all perceptions are centrally processed.

crossfire

Premium Member
Oh, within Buddhism, there are six base-sense media, not just five. There is also the pattern-recognition sense base media dedicated to detecting ideas.
Nibbedhika Sutta: Penetrative

"And what is the cause by which perception comes into play? Contact is the cause by which perception comes into play.

"And what is the diversity in perception? Perception with regard to forms is one thing, perception with regard to sounds is another, perception with regard to aromas is another, perception with regard to flavors is another, perception with regard to tactile sensations is another, perception with regard to ideas is another. This is called the diversity in perception.

"And what is the result of perception? Perception has expression as its result, I tell you. However a person perceives something, that is how he expresses it: 'I have this sort of perception.' This is called the result of perception.​

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Oh, within Buddhism, there are six base-sense media, not just five. There is also the pattern-recognition sense base media dedicated to detecting ideas.
Nibbedhika Sutta: Penetrative

"And what is the cause by which perception comes into play? Contact is the cause by which perception comes into play.

"And what is the diversity in perception? Perception with regard to forms is one thing, perception with regard to sounds is another, perception with regard to aromas is another, perception with regard to flavors is another, perception with regard to tactile sensations is another, perception with regard to ideas is another. This is called the diversity in perception.

"And what is the result of perception? Perception has expression as its result, I tell you. However a person perceives something, that is how he expresses it: 'I have this sort of perception.' This is called the result of perception.​
I do love your thoughts on this. Coherency IS something to strive for.

godnotgod

Thou art That
However a person perceives something, that is how he expresses it

Yes, and therein lies the problem. That is the problem with perceptual reality, and one of the reason the Buddha sought higher ground, ie 'Ultimate Reality', that is transcendent of perceptual reality.

Part of how perception is interpreted has to do with what we already know from past perceptions, stored in the brain, to which the current perception is compared.

crossfire

Premium Member
Yes, and therein lies the problem. That is the problem with perceptual reality, and one of the reason the Buddha sought higher ground, ie 'Ultimate Reality', that is transcendent of perceptual reality.

Part of how perception is interpreted has to do with what we already know from past perceptions, stored in the brain, to which the current perception is compared.
Which is why clinging to perceptual distortions is considered to be makyo.

godnotgod

Thou art That

...and why perceptual reality cannot ultimately be trusted. This, of course, includes the brain, which essentially hallucinates reality.

"I think it helps to compare the experience of self to subjective contours – illusions such as the Kanizsa pattern where you see an invisible shape that is really defined entirely by the surrounding context. People understand that it is a trick of the mind but what they may not appreciate is that the brain is actually generating the neural activation as if the illusory shape was really there. In other words, the brain is hallucinating the experience. There are now many studies revealing that illusions generate brain activity as if they existed. They are not real but the brain treats them as if they were."

The Illusion of the Self | Sam Harris

Like the sleep-dream world we know to be an illusion upon the act of waking up, we too know the level of consciousness as 'wakefulness' to also be an illusion upon awakening to yet higher levels. of consciousness. This awakening to a higher level is what the Buddha's experience was all about. And just like the dream world, which absolutely seems real while we are on that level of consciousness, the level of wakefulness (Waking Sleep; Identification) also seems perfectly real to most of us. And it does so partly because, unlike the dream world which vanishes upon waking, the next level does not vanish. But when transcending it occurs, consciousness is transformed so that it's true nature is now revealed. It is this transformation of consciousness that Planck experience to some degree, allowing him insight into the nature of consciousness.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That

...and you can only realize that because a higher state of consciousness, one that is accurate, illuminates what makyo actually is. Those caught in the world of makyo cannot see this as their view is still driven by the ordinary conditioned mind of perceptual reality, which thinks that consciousness is an emergent phenomena of the brain.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What Planck is saying is the result of insight into the nature of things. Insight is to see things as they are, without thought. There is no opinion here since opinion is the product of the thinking mind. Pure consciousness is not thinking. It is seeing.
Demonstrate Planck had insight.

crossfire

Premium Member
...and you can only realize that because a higher state of consciousness, one that is accurate, illuminates what makyo actually is. Those caught in the world of makyo cannot see this as their view is still driven by the ordinary conditioned mind of perceptual reality, which thinks that consciousness is an emergent phenomena of the brain.
Sentience is vulnerable to delusion, but sentience is also the means by which delusion is overcome and awakening occurs.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Sentience is vulnerable to delusion, but sentience is also the means by which delusion is overcome and awakening occurs.

That's exactly right.

It seems where we disagree is whether 'the subjective mind' is real or not. I still see it as one aspect of the subject/object split, which is healed when awakening occurs, and duality is dissolved into oneness.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Demonstrate Planck had insight.

I wish this kind of intuitive insight were provable via Logic, Analysis, and Reason, but it is not, as it is transcendent of these methods of the thinking mind. The only way you can confirm what he is saying is to see it in the same manner that he is seeing it, and that involves a transformation of consciousness.