• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Consciousness of the soul

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I found this an interesting analogy of consciousness
The Soul, the Real Self

The body is compared to a vehicle and the soul to the driver. A car cannot run without a driver. Similarly, the body will not work without the presence of the soul.

Just as a young child may not realize that each and every car needs a driver for it to move, those without developed knowledge perceive the body but fail to see the soul within.

The driver may identify with his car and even feel kinship with drivers of a similar model. Similarly feelings of friendship or enmity arise from identifying with the body.

The driver develops a deep attachment to the car, so in an accident he commonly cries out “You hit me!”If the soul identifies with the body in the same way, then – preoccupied with the
body’s condition – he becomes caught in a web of distress and happiness.

The driver is not satisfied maintaining the car alone without looking after his own needs. Similarly, looking after the body alone cannot satisfy the soul.

Although the driver is not the vehicle, he will move according to the nature of the car, namely fast, slow, etc. The same driver can get out of one vehicle and drive another. Similarly, the soul leaves one body and enters another.

The way I'm familiar with soul apart from this understanding is that the soul is our personality. The personality is how the body identifies, awareness, and how it interprets the world as well as itself. Since the soul is the "mind" of the body, the two are interrelated. The soul is the identity of the person/as the person. The car is the body in which the soul identifies with.
His preferences in looks, culture, and identities in association with the car. His "expression." (I'm deciding whether this association is a negative thing-what consequences can come from identifying with the body or the opposite). I also believe there is spirit that is the "motor" of the car and the person driving it. However, it's not a separate thing that drives and the physical motor itself, but the actual momentum of the car in motion.

It's an interesting theoretical and philosophical way to use these terms soul, spirit, body, mind (and consciousness?). What do you guys think of when you see these words and if these words do apply or don't apply to your religious or spiritual line of thinking?

Of course if you don't have these things in mind, it is fine. We forgive you but don't mess up the thread because of it. Instead, offer some productive insightful feedback.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The Soul, the Real Self

The way I'm familiar with soul apart from this understanding is that the soul is our personality. The personality is how the body identifies, awareness, and how it interprets the world as well as itself. Since the soul is the "mind" of the body, the two are interrelated. So, in this case, the car would be the body and the person, rather than the soul as above, would be making the car look like, act like, and represent who he is by his preferences and association with the car. His "expression." I also believe there is spirit that is the motor of the car and the person driving it. However, it's not a separate thing that drives but the actual momentum of the car in motion.

It's an interesting theoretical and philosophical way to use these terms soul, spirit, body, mind (and consciousness?). What do you guess think of when you see these words and if these words do apply or don't apply to your religious or spiritual line of thinking?

Of course if you don't have these things in mind, it is fine. We forgive you but don't mess up the thread because of it. Instead, offer some insightful feedback.

Just the way I see it.

Body = meat suit. Brain = driver of the meat suit. Soul/mind is the brain in the act of processing information. Spirit is the conscious self-awareness which is a subprocess of the mind.

The mind I suppose is the driver however the "self" is aware of driving so thinks it is in charge.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The Soul, the Real Self

The way I'm familiar with soul apart from this understanding is that the soul is our personality. The personality is how the body identifies, awareness, and how it interprets the world as well as itself. Since the soul is the "mind" of the body, the two are interrelated. The soul is the identity of the person/as the person. The car is the body in which the soul identifies with.
His preferences in looks, culture, and identities in association with the car. His "expression." (I'm deciding whether this association is a negative thing-what consequences can come from identifying with the body or the opposite). I also believe there is spirit that is the "motor" of the car and the person driving it. However, it's not a separate thing that drives and the physical motor itself, but the actual momentum of the car in motion.

It's an interesting theoretical and philosophical way to use these terms soul, spirit, body, mind (and consciousness?). What do you guess think of when you see these words and if these words do apply or don't apply to your religious or spiritual line of thinking?

Of course if you don't have these things in mind, it is fine. We forgive you but don't mess up the thread because of it. Instead, offer some productive insightful feedback.
You don't make clear how "soul" and "mind" are not the same thing, although you seem to suggest that they are somehow different.

And for me, the car/driver analogy doesn't really work. I do not see myself as two things -- a body and something else. Rather, I see myself as an integrated whole, but a whole in which various parts have different but necessary functions. The heart moves blood, blood cells carry oxygen, lungs exchange CO2 and O2, brain controls much -- but not all -- of what I am and do.

In fact, I am the self-driving car. I, in one package, do all of the functions needed to achieve that. And someday, that package will have reached the end of its warranty, and stop working. Then the car won't move -- but the driver won't mind, because the driver will no longer be there.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It's an interesting theoretical and philosophical way to use these terms soul, spirit, body, mind (and consciousness?). What do you guys think of when you see these words and if these words do apply or don't apply to your religious or spiritual line of thinking?
consciousness: a little neural electrical impulse in the shape of Tarzan lord of the jungle, and it swings around through the neurons in a circle trying to find Jane, but Jane is in England.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Just the way I see it.

Body = meat suit. Brain = driver of the meat suit. Soul/mind is the brain in the act of processing information. Spirit is the conscious self-awareness which is a subprocess of the mind.

The mind I suppose is the driver however the "self" is aware of driving so thinks it is in charge.

So the spirit would be the self that is aware of the mind processes within the brain?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In what way do you see them as different?

The soul and spirit?

I think of it like the idiom 'ol soul when a child has the knowledge or wisdom of someone above his so far limited experiences.

The spirit I'd say it's another word for energy, I guess. Spirit or movement/energy that uplifts his emotions. The spirit of awareness. Spirit behind an artistic creation (what moves the artist). "The flow."

Edit. Experiencing vitality

Soul dealing with wisdom, state of mind, and experience. Spirit being what uplifts that mind and body. Being in the flow. Having a eureka moment.

As for the terms, though, it's cultural. Personality and energy would probably be the closest.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You don't make clear how "soul" and "mind" are not the same thing, although you seem to suggest that they are somehow different.

Was it the way I wrote it?
It says "the soul 'is' the mind of the body."

And for me, the car/driver analogy doesn't really work. I do not see myself as two things -- a body and something else. Rather, I see myself as an integrated whole, but a whole in which various parts have different but necessary functions. The heart moves blood, blood cells carry oxygen, lungs exchange CO2 and O2, brain controls much -- but not all -- of what I am and do.

Like the body is the sum of its parts?

In fact, I am the self-driving car. I, in one package, do all of the functions needed to achieve that. And someday, that package will have reached the end of its warranty, and stop working. Then the car won't move -- but the driver won't mind, because the driver will no longer be there.

True. I understand it that way as well. Much more direct, I guess you can say.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Just the way I see it.

The way you see it seems significantly different to me than the OP. The OP write-up said The same driver can get out of one vehicle and drive another. Similarly, the soul leaves one body and enters another.

The brain can not leave a meat suit and enter another. The OP was discussing a soul that is beyond materialism.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
My point of view is that the soul is universal (You) and has awaken within itself (Life). Personality is nothing more than the mask you wear during your waking hours. I think they also call it the Ego.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So in what way is that different from (or the same as) the brain?

I guess there is no difference. There was one in my head but can't quite put it in words. Maybe a metaphysical way of saying the mind in the state of wisdom and clarity while the mind/brain is the process to get to that state maybe through meditation and things of that nature. (Playing with words)

Edit.

Soul identity. Mind processes and pieces that make up that identity.

If you have a puzzle, the mind would be the pieces and process of putting them together (or trying to). When the puzzle has been solved, you see the picture (or person's identity)-their soul. Mind does the dirty work. Soul is the state of being and result of it.

As for how to say it without the terminology, I'm not sure another way to say soul since the mind is always changing and emotions are fluid. So, you can't really can't say the mind is fixed. Your identity is constantly changing and some people call that identity their soul.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The way you see it seems significantly different to me than the OP. The OP write-up said The same driver can get out of one vehicle and drive another. Similarly, the soul leaves one body and enters another.

The brain can not leave a meat suit and enter another. The OP was discussing a soul that is beyond materialism.

Not yet. I recall in high school talking about being able to do a head transplant. Maybe at some point we will be able to figure out how to keep a brain running outside of a body.
Just a matter of mechanics.

Scientists can now keep brains alive without a body

MNoBody

so are people material beings struggling to cope with developing a transcendental nature, [with all the baggage that implies]
or transcendental beings coping with a material awakening?
Reason reduces things down into components, [yielding in this case a tripartite being]
yet "spiritual" tradition speaks of one-ness and unity as being the goals of their practice,
a "remembering" [so to speak], not an acquiring or a receiving.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Not yet. I recall in high school talking about being able to do a head transplant. Maybe at some point we will be able to figure out how to keep a brain running outside of a body.
Just a matter of mechanics.

Scientists can now keep brains alive without a body
My point was that such a feat was not at all what the OP was talking about. He was talking about an immaterial soul that incarnates a physical body with the natural ability to incarnate/reincarnate other vehicles/bodies.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The soul is a unified individual heart, mind and will. The heart is the loves, cares, ambivalences, and hates of the individual. The mind is the understandings, and thought life of the individual. And the will is the volition that drives the body and emanates from the heart and mind. It's a synergy of one unified essence with three parts.

Consciousness is the pathway of all experiences that goes to and from the soul.

The spirit of a person is their heart energy and willfulness, and attitude.

The brain is the vehicle of consciousness to the soul.

The will has temporary, permanent, and when so, forever aspects of its choosings.

Soul, and spirit could be the eternal being existing in an undetectable medium. Or they are energies of finite duration dependent on the body.

All these elements of being are intertwined.