• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Consciousness is Relative

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
People, you are literally looking at a thing right now. Your correct response to me stating "Consciousness is relative", should have been: "Well, thank you, Captain Obvious"

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
People, you are literally looking at a thing right now. Your correct response to me stating "Consciousness is relative", should have been: "Well, thank you, Captain Obvious"

You still haven't explained what you mean by "relative". Relative to what? Do you mean that consciousness always has an object? Or something else?

John muir

Unfair question socrates you *******. it caught my eye and cant help it. Either way i choose you, surely can prove me wrong. So i will stand over here in love undefined and unbound. Any statement to quantify a quality i will surely show you your error because you will not understand.

Now socrates i know you are as smart as a whip wanna give the kiddies a little showin how its all done!? Although i am not sure any would see it because that is just stupid hanging out with dumb! They live in lala land of the smart dummer than dumb. Hell trees make more sense.. Hahahaha.. "So said socrates"

Neutral Name

Have you ever read Dr John Lilly ? He got really deep.
The thing that inspired me about Lilly was that he decided to explore the nature of consciousness experientially, which yields very different results to thinking about it, whether logically or otherwise.

“ Exploration of human consciousness
In the early 1960s, Lilly was introduced to psychedelic drugs such as LSD and (later) ketamine[19] and began a series of experiments in which he ingested a psychedelic drug either in an isolation tank or in the company of dolphins. These events are described in his books Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer: Theory and Experiments and The Center of the Cyclone, both published in 1972. Following advice from Ram Dass, Lilly studied Patanjali's system of yoga (finding I. K. Taimni's Science of Yoga, a modernized interpretation of the Sanskrit text, most suited to his goals). He also paid special attention to self-enquiry meditation advocated by Ramana Maharshi, and reformulated the principles of this exercise with reference to his human biocomputer paradigm (described in Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer: Theory and Experiments and The Center of the Cyclone).

Lilly later traveled to Chile and trained with the spiritual leader Oscar Ichazo (whose attitude to metaphysical consciousness exploration Lilly characterized as "empirical" in his book The Center of the Cyclone). Lilly claimed to have achieved the maximum degree of satori-samādhi consciousness during his training.[citation needed]

Lilly's maxim: "In the province of the mind what one believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits. These limits are to be found experimentally and experientially. When so found these limits turn out to be further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind there are no limits. However, in the province of the body there are definite limits not to be transcended."[20]

Thanks, I have bookmarked Dr. Lily. Drugs and isolation chambers can create other forms of consciousness but I don't think they necessarily can explain all forms.

The Reverend Bob

Unfair question socrates you *******. it caught my eye and cant help it. Either way i choose you, surely can prove me wrong. So i will stand over here in love undefined and unbound. Any statement to quantify a quality i will surely show you your error because you will not understand.

Now socrates i know you are as smart as a whip wanna give the kiddies a little showin how its all done!? Although i am not sure any would see it because that is just stupid hanging out with dumb! They live in lala land of the smart dummer than dumb. Hell trees make more sense.. Hahahaha.. "So said socrates"

In the book the Chief is a tricky devil, my friend. In the book, the Chief is a Shaman who is trying to liberate himself and the inmates. When the Chief can truly understand who he is and what he can do, when he liberates himself, it is then he can choose to liberate others or he can just choose to be an *******

John muir

Well ua know i was
In the book the Chief is a tricky devil, my friend. In the book, the Chief is a Shaman who is trying to liberate himself and the inmates. When the Chief can truly understand who he is and what he can, when he liberates himself, it is then he can choose to liberate others or he can just choose to be an *******
I was jack without the attitude and then i went out to the mountain and became chief like that! The mountian in native lore is called seat of god. Am i god? Oh heaven forbid the world is filled with them they think love a realtive thing. A kind of quantifiable they can dish out as they please. Pitiful lots of phds too!

Road Less Traveled

Consciousness can be relative to a bunch of gobbledygook.

All self proclaimed spiritual sensei masters and gurus of gobbledygook have to say are things like, ‘good is evil, evil is good, up is down, down is up, a wave in an ocean means we are all one and that a saint is one and the same with someone who kidnaps a child, kills them, slices them open and smuggles drugs through their dead body,
beauty is ugly.’ And the crowd goes wild in awe.

And on and on and on.

Neutral Name

Okay, . . . . . . . . then let me paraphrase you a bit from your OP:

"Do any of you want to dispute the point that consciousness is relative to Skwim?"​

So all you people out there; Is consciousness relative to me or not? (Don't even ask me what this means.)

Possibly. Are you conscious in any way?

The Reverend Bob

Well ua know i was

I was jack without the attitude and then i went out to the mountain and became chief like that! The mountian in native lore is called seat of god. Am i god? Oh heaven forbid the world is filled with them they think love a realtive thing. A kind of quantifiable they can dish out as they please. Pitiful lots of phds too!
Love is an indisputable fact.