• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecting

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
This topic is mainly targeted at those who believe in God(in whatever form).

Its easy to feel the 'presence of God' in certain places. Perhaps a specific place of worship, like a beautiful temple, grand church, or a sacred grove. Certain areas in nature, whether officially 'holy' or not can also bring that out in our hearts. But what about when we're running errands, or sitting at work? Where is God, then?

For those of you who believe in some form of Godform/s, do you feel called to connect with them in daily life? And if you do, what specific ways do you connect with the divine while amongst the mundane?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Its easy to feel the 'presence of God' in certain places. Perhaps a specific place of worship, like a beautiful temple, grand church, or a sacred grove. Certain areas in nature, whether officially 'holy' or not can also bring that out in our hearts. But what about when we're running errands, or sitting at work? Where is God, then?

For those of you who believe in some form of Godform/s, do you feel called to connect with them in daily life? And if you do, what specific ways do you connect with the divine while amongst the mundane?

Yes God can become a way of life. All thoughts, aspirations and actions are founded upon God given virtue.

Work then becomes worship as it is done in that spirit of service.

Regards Tony

Lain

I ask the Lord to help me with all things, offer my acts as sacrifices, when going outside, etc, and often try to perpetually ask Him for mercy (a practice recommended by the Fathers, to never cease praying in that way). In the Faith we are called to "pray without ceasing," and so these are ways to fulfill it during life. I also invoke the Saints and angels during these times also, or while I am laboring call to mind things I have remembered about God or prayers memorized, or work on memorizing things and turning over knowledge in my mind. Before talking to others I will say "Lord give me the grace to be gracious" to get some light in me to prevent speaking out of turn (I should do this on the forums more).

It is also said God is the One in whom we "live and move and have our being," so God is everywhere in all things.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
what specific ways do you connect with the divine while amongst the mundane?

There was a small Christian book I read entitled "Practice the Presence of God". And another saying is "Make Me your constant companion."

So sometimes while driving, he's in the passenger seat. While sitting at the computer, he's standing just a little behind me on the right. I'm far from one pointed about this practice, but it's fun because it's so easy even if I can only hold it for a few seconds at a time.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Now remember to "patrol" so some of the non-religious don't turn this into a debate. :)

Even as an atheist, I tried to believe in God. I know there are some positive benefits in believing in God, so I tried that.

I found out that I didn't have to believe in God to get everyday positive feelings. When I go to the baker and on purpose knowingly is nice, I usually get nice back. I then generally learned to find the nice in everyday situations by using a positive cognitive behavioral approach.
So here is my answer. God or the positive is in me as how I approach life. If I do the work and work with myself I can learn to be more positive.
I accept that other people use God, because it works for them and that is what makes me a friendly atheist. I don't as such consider religion any of these negative words. Religion in my understanding can be used as a positive to find the positive in everyday life.

I am just a human born into a secular society and I was in effect conditioned to do without God. But I get how God works as a positive for some humans.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I perform arati (light waving ceremony) to a murti of my chosen deity. As for Vishnu and Krishna, I feel them as so friendly and so close to me that I think its a bit "superfluous" to perform arati to them. I like to take "darshan" by looking at pictures of the gods.

The Crimson Universe

I think i had a calling between 2015-2017. At that time I was going through a lot. Mentally, emotionally and physically.
It was the only time i held onto God.
Praying was the only way i used to connect to Him. People here usually worship idols or images. That's fine with me. I guess it helps in concentration, devotion or something. I tried that as well, but it didn't appeal to me much. Being a believer of an all-pervasive, invisible God, i feel His presence all around me.
When i'm not infront of an idol, i find him in the backseat of a cab or up in the sky. ;)

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member
In this life, as a male, performance is what counts. A saying that most affected me about religion is,"God helps those who help themselves''. You hone techniques and with repeated work you improve performance. I don't think of religion except during alone time.It's not on God to do my work...I do think of moral actions and reactions to situations everyday. I suppose I live like I'm an atheist most of the time....Well, back to one aspect of the topic; where do I feel the most connection to religion is during meditation and when alone in a silent Church. Waiting in the car,parked, quiet time where thoughts just seem to approach from some distance I pray, and am fully aware that I may be praying to a vacant concept but I want there to be God. I want there to be God because we need God!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know what to say here. I may feel an invisible presence, but I can't be sure its God.

I may have connected with God several times. Its hard to describe, but when I sought for God to make a decision for me that decision was always given back. It remained mine. Even once when I had supernatural knowledge of a future opportunity, the choice remained mine. I think otherwise I would have ignored that opportunity and turned my nose up, but the knowledge did intrigue and sway me. I was ready to consider the opportunity because of that foreknowledge, yet the choice was mine. This leads me to believe I connected with something that believed in my choices. Therefore in hindsight I think it was the God of the scriptures.

How did I connect? The time that I gained foreknowledge I laid on my face and focused on the goodness of love, and at some point in my mind it was like I heard rumbling or swirling. I felt connected and my interrogatives became answers in the form of riddles except for one which suggested a time to expect something. The riddles were not clear, which is why I call them riddles. They were not promises, and I am still trying to resolve them. They could be nothing, but that other one became a job.

Another time I connected with something was when I was in a grove of trees on a small inlet surrounded by water. Sounds crazy now, but I felt like the trees were listening. I spoke a sloppily directed wish to the trees or to the greater-ness beyond the trees or whatever was listening. It was night, quiet, stars out, cool and breezy. My wish resulted in an opportunity, one which I did not pursue. I probably should have. I gained no future knowledge, nothing like that other time on my face.

Another time something similar happened. I was in traffic. I made a wish, had that connected feeling. An opportunity came. I again deferred. I learned my lesson. "Don't make wishes that you don't intend to follow through on. Don't waste prayers. Don't tease yourself or the powers that might be."

syo

Its easy to feel the 'presence of God' in certain places. Perhaps a specific place of worship
Nah, gods don't like that. Gods are present at the mundane everyday life. They show us how things are done. Lighthouses.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Since I see God as a metaphor for connectedness to the Universe, I often get that feeling when I am able to relax and contemplate regardless of where I or what I am doing.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Like most Hindus, (and many members of other faiths, differing symbols)) we keep a small Ganesha on the dash of the car. It's both for help in avoiding accidents mystically, and as a constant reminder. But I've seen a of religious stuff hanging from car mirrors.

While driving along, or shopping, I'm constantly reminded of my faith, whether it's crossing a river, a train track, or in a store looking at a nice bowl, or cloth.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have deity pictures and statues all over the house. I have a strip of pictures along the inside top of my windshield as well as a small brass Ganesha on my dashboard and a Radha-Krishna pendant hanging from my mirror. I have a playlist of bhajans in my phone I play when I’m driving and at home.