• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressional talks on coronavirus relief package collapse

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Virus aid talks collapse; no help expected for jobless now

WASHINGTON (AP) — A last-ditch effort by Democrats to revive Capitol Hill talks on vital COVID-19 rescue money collapsed in disappointment at week’s end, making it increasingly likely that Washington gridlock will mean more hardship for millions of people who are losing enhanced jobless benefits and further damage for an economy pummeled by the still-raging coronavirus.

President Donald Trump said Friday night he was likely to issue more limited executive orders related to COVID, perhaps in the next day or so, if he can’t reach a broad agreement with Congress.

The day’s negotiations at the Capitol added up to only “a disappointing meeting,” declared top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer, saying the White House had rejected an offer by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to curb Democratic demands by about $1 trillion. He urged the White House to “negotiate with Democrats and meet us in the middle. Don’t say it’s your way or no way.”

This could lead to the expiration of the $600 per month supplement for unemployment, $100 billion to help schools reopen, additional funding for coronavirus testing, and billions to state and local governments which are also in a serious bind these days.

Often an impasse in Washington is of little consequence for the public — not so this time. It means longer and perhaps permanent expiration of a $600 per-week bonus pandemic jobless benefit that’s kept millions of people from falling into poverty. It denies more than $100 billion to help schools reopen this fall. It blocks additional funding for virus testing as cases are surging this summer. And it denies billions of dollars to state and local governments considering furloughs as their revenue craters.

Congress has gone home, but they may return for a vote if an agreement is reached. Meanwhile, Trump says he will issue executive orders if Congress can't reach an agreement.

Ahead is uncertainty. Both the House and Senate have left Washington, with members sent home on instructions to be ready to return for a vote on an agreement. With no deal in sight, their absence raises the possibility of a prolonged stalemate that stretches well into August and even September.

Speaking from his New Jersey golf club Friday evening, Trump said “if Democrats continue to hold this critical relief hostage I will act under my authority as president to get Americans the relief they need.”

Trump said he may issue executive orders on home evictions, student loan debt and allowing states to repurpose COVID relief funding into their unemployment insurance programs. He also said he’ll likely issue an executive order to defer collection of Social Security payroll taxes, an idea that has less support among his Republican allies.

I wonder what's going to happen. Any thoughts?

tytlyf

Not Religious
Republicans want American workers to receive less money. This will in turn leave more money for corporations and special interests.
Republicans don't have the best interests of the American people in their minds. Capitalism prevents that.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It does make me wonder if it's a contrived plan by the Pubs to create a stalemate and then have Trump fly in to "Save the day!" through a e.o.? Their fate in November is largely tied to how well Trump does.

OK, it's a "conspiracy theory", I know, but they've been conniving all sorts of stuff for over the last three years now, so nothing surprises me any longer.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Trump does not have the legal authority to do some things but that won't stop him. SCOTUS may rule against him but that won't stop him. In other words, the Constitutional crisis created by an authoritarian will only stop in one of a few ways: vote in November (with the Army carrying him out of the White House), a military coup (and I really hope it does not come to that) or another impeachment trial (which won't happen).

As far as Congress goes, I'm not sure anything will stop what is about to happen given rampant covidiots running around, collapsing State and local government budgets, masses of people about to become homeless and destitute and continuing sickness and deaths from the pandemic.

That's not exactly an optimistic forecast. :(:mad:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump signs EO for 400$/wk UI, payroll tax exemption for workers, moratorium on evictions, and student loan stay.

Nice.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As long as millions of the American workforce aren't getting paid, Congress shouldn't be getting paid.
Someone more familiar with the details can clarify if I'm wrong.

But what I understand is the the Dems were holding out for a broader, more comprehensive, response to all the social problems created by the virus. Republicans weren't interested in that. It looks to me like the Trump faction wants to buy votes as cheaply as possible.
Tom

tytlyf

Not Religious
Trump signs EO for 400$/wk UI, payroll tax exemption for workers, moratorium on evictions, and student loan stay.

Nice.
Another distraction. Senate republicans intentionally let the talks fail so Cult45 could take his victory lap signing EO's.
This way Trump can look like the hero.