1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressional talks on coronavirus relief package collapse

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Stevicus, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,197
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Virus aid talks collapse; no help expected for jobless now

This could lead to the expiration of the $600 per month supplement for unemployment, $100 billion to help schools reopen, additional funding for coronavirus testing, and billions to state and local governments which are also in a serious bind these days.

Congress has gone home, but they may return for a vote if an agreement is reached. Meanwhile, Trump says he will issue executive orders if Congress can't reach an agreement.

I wonder what's going to happen. Any thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. tytlyf

tytlyf The Mind Eye

Ratings:
    +2,757
    Republicans want American workers to receive less money. This will in turn leave more money for corporations and special interests.
    Republicans don't have the best interests of the American people in their minds. Capitalism prevents that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +11,644
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Like I suspected. The monopoly of Democrats and Republicans will eventually destroy this country.

• Like Like x 3
  4. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +14,495
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    It does make me wonder if it's a contrived plan by the Pubs to create a stalemate and then have Trump fly in to "Save the day!" through a e.o.? Their fate in November is largely tied to how well Trump does.

OK, it's a "conspiracy theory", I know, but they've been conniving all sorts of stuff for over the last three years now, so nothing surprises me any longer.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +21,714
    Religion:
    Love
    Trump does not have the legal authority to do some things but that won't stop him. SCOTUS may rule against him but that won't stop him. In other words, the Constitutional crisis created by an authoritarian will only stop in one of a few ways: vote in November (with the Army carrying him out of the White House), a military coup (and I really hope it does not come to that) or another impeachment trial (which won't happen).

As far as Congress goes, I'm not sure anything will stop what is about to happen given rampant covidiots running around, collapsing State and local government budgets, masses of people about to become homeless and destitute and continuing sickness and deaths from the pandemic.

That's not exactly an optimistic forecast. :(:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Ov Fire and the Void
    Premium Member It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +15,946
    Religion:
    LHP Heathenry
    As long as millions of the American workforce aren't getting paid, Congress shouldn't be getting paid.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,316
    Religion:
    Christian
    Trump signs EO for 400$/wk UI, payroll tax exemption for workers, moratorium on evictions, and student loan stay.

Nice.

8. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,059
    Religion:
    None
    Someone more familiar with the details can clarify if I'm wrong.

But what I understand is the the Dems were holding out for a broader, more comprehensive, response to all the social problems created by the virus. Republicans weren't interested in that. It looks to me like the Trump faction wants to buy votes as cheaply as possible.
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  9. tytlyf

tytlyf The Mind Eye

Ratings:
    +2,757
    Another distraction. Senate republicans intentionally let the talks fail so Cult45 could take his victory lap signing EO's.
    This way Trump can look like the hero.

10. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    I hope they figure it out bu September so by October we can get our checks. GEEZ!