• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confusion

Nomad

If anyone can answer this question, please do.

Why are there so many denominations? Why so many interpretations of Christianity? With so many different versions it gets confusing. :bonk:

Befuddled,
Nomad :banghead3

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Nomad said:

Why are there so many denominations? Why so many interpretations of Christianity? With so many different versions it gets confusing. :bonk:

Befuddled,
Emperor Constantine took the Bible from a series of essays into the Bible we know today, expelling the books he didnt want, and keeping the ones he did. Well the Orthodox church and the Catholic churches were first. The protestands broke off of the catholic church because of Martin Luther and his thesis about God. There has always been a battle between the Catholic and protestant church, which is why you could possibly hear bitterness between the two religions. (people at my school dislike catholics... they're non-denom) Many people belied very strongly about a different passage or two, and sectioned off from there. The LDS church has an entirley different book ATTATCHED to the bible, and for that some people think they arent christian. Its all a matter of how you worship... but it does seem that we should all be of one doesnt it...hmm...

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Nomad said:

Befuddled,
because so many people interprit things differently, it kinda makes it fun :D

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
If we were all the same wouldnt the world be dull?
People would be boring.​
And there would be no call for this forum... because we would have nothing to discuss.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Nomad!

I didn't know there would be an answer to your question on Goole, but there was !:D

There's no denying that Christians have done an outstanding job of splintering off into a staggering number of denominations and sects. A 1995 census of religious groups in America identifies over 150 Christian denominations (including 19 different Baptist groups), and doubtless many more exist worldwide. Which of them, if any, is "right"?

First, it should be noted that differences of opinion among Christians are nothing new. The New Testament contains a number of accounts of disagreements and factions among the earliest believers. Unfortunately, this ancient trend has never changed and is unlikely to do so, given the weaknesses and shortcomings of Christ's followers. Though Jesus himself expressed the desire that his Church be characterized by love and unity (see John 17), Christians through the ages have rarely lived up to this standard.

Having acknowledged that, it is also important to realize that the vast majority of differences among Christians have arisen from disagreements over "non-essential" issues. Should baptism be by immersion or sprinkling? Can women be ordained as ministers? What form of church government should be adopted? Is dancing permissible for Christians? While some of these questions may be important and worth debating, none of them can be considered absolutely essential to the faith.

And with all that disagreement over peripheral issues, Christianity has remained remarkably consistent on the central beliefs that define the faith: the divinity of Christ, his sacrificial death for our sins, and the need for repentance and faith to enter into a right relationship with God. That is the heart of the Gospel, and it has never changed. Sure, some people have called even those basic beliefs into question, but in doing so they have placed themselves outside the Christian faith.

So it is probably impossible to find one group or denomination that is right about everything, but we can all be right about what matters most.

Nomad

I'd like to thank you all. It dose make things more interesting... :confused:
But theres always others who are overwhelmed with the many different denominations (ME!). How is one supposed to be "in tune with the almighty" when trying to bend to 150 of different beliefs at once?! I was born into a (non-practicing) Catholic family. I'm almost 18 and I've only been to church about a total of five times in my life. The most important thing I learned (in my oppinion) is, not to let the collection plate pass without putting in at least a dollar.

In short: I'm going through my "what the bleep am I gonna do with the rest of my life?" phase :woohoo: . I've always been one to ask guestions and cause general havoc in a religious debate, but I want to commit to something before I die :162: . Religion is something I hope to commit to before I'm 25. Sorry if I'm confusing. I just seek answers. Whether there true or not is up to my faith.

Thanks

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nomad said:

Befuddled,
Hi, Nomad.

The Apostle Paul said that the gospel of Jesus Christ was built on a foundation of Prophets and Apostles with Jesus Christ as the chief cornerstone. He said that this organization was to continue to exist "until we come into unity of the faith." He said that otherwise, we'd be tossed about like children, hearing all kinds of doctrines and not having any way to know which of them to believe. I think he was right.

Scott1

Nomad said:
Why are there so many denominations?
Pride.
Why so many interpretations of Christianity?
Pride.
With so many different versions it gets confusing.
Sure does.... but there has been an answer to this confusion from the begining:

"The sole Church of Christ [is that] which our Savior, after his Resurrection, entrusted to Peter's pastoral care, commissioning him and the other apostles to extend and rule it. . . . This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him." This is why Jesus himself prayed at the hour of his Passion, and does not cease praying to his Father, for the unity of his disciples: "That they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be one in us, . . . so that the world may know that you have sent me." The desire to recover the unity of all Christians is a gift of Christ and a call of the Holy Spirit."

Immaculata pray for us,
Scott

Nomad

(Curiosty, have fun!)

Then according to you, only the church that Christ entrusted to Peter is the "closest" to the "original" doctrine?

You yourself are a victim of pride. How can one be humble before God if one is proud among men(and women)?

I will give my oppinion now.

There is no true doctrine of the Christian God. With so many diffferent versions and rituals and prayers, one is tempted to follow other more "simple" paths. I myself have studied the occult (wicca, demonism, etc.) and have found one thing consistent in nearly every religion on the planet:

(Insert Religion Here) Is the only way to get to heaven, Hell, Enlightenment, Etc.

The promise of an everlasting reward at the end of life is what is consistent.

Nomad

My oppinion is not my final thought. Just what i have noticed

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nomad said:
Then according to you, only the church that Christ entrusted to Peter is the "closest" to the "original" doctrine?

You yourself are a victim of pride. How can one be humble before God if one is proud among men(and women)?
How does this make Scott a "victim of pride"? You're equating conviction with pride. The two are not the same thing at all.

fromthe heart

Nomad said:

Befuddled,
If you just take a look around here you can see why...everyone has there own opinion for themselves on what is meant in scripture...I can't say that we are all to understand it the same either...mostly what Scott said is fact...Pride keeps some from admitting there are flaws in what they believe..others have such a mindset that they just aren't willing to hear another opinion. I recently posted a thread on why as well and in reading the answers it became apparent...we are not all carbon copies of each other...perhaps if all the Christian leaders would get together and just go on Biblical words they could narrow it down to one set of beliefs and all but given just the opinions here on these forums it's very clear it won't happen until God comes back and they are governed by the Master Himself!:)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
fromthe heart said:
If you just take a look around here you can see why...everyone has there own opinion for themselves on what is meant in scripture...I can't say that we are all to understand it the same either...mostly what Scott said is fact...Pride keeps some from admitting there are flaws in what they believe..others have such a mindset that they just aren't willing to hear another opinion.
I'm sure pride is a part of it, and I think that making a sincere effort to understand other people's opinions is important.

I recently posted a thread on why as well and in reading the answers it became apparent...we are not all carbon copies of each other...
Was that your thread? I've been looking for it. Why don't you post something on it ("Hi, Katzpur!) so I can find it?

perhaps if all the Christian leaders would get together and just go on Biblical words they could narrow it down to one set of beliefs and all but given just the opinions here on these forums it's very clear it won't happen until God comes back and they are governed by the Master Himself!:)
As nice as that sounds, it's simply not workable -- and I know you've already stated that, so I'm not disagreeing.

First of all, more than half of all Christians are Catholic or Orthodox, and they don't accept Sola Scriptura as a true doctrine. Neither do Mormons (although we account for just a tiny percentage of all Christians). Since the Bible itself doesn't state that it is a complete record of God's word, we're in a bit of a bind. Even if you eliminate Catholic, Orthodox and LDS Christians from the group, you've got 30,000 different denominations who all believe that they are "just going on Biblical words."

Nomad

Faith is easily overcome when divided. And the creature knows that.
Its sad that the end of the world must come to an end, before all are united.

No offense meant, Scott. Sorry.

(Note: I'm not a Christian. I'm very open to just about any religion, with the exception of Left Hand Paths. Been there, done that. Not for me.)

DTrent

The diversity of religions is becuz people have become followers of men instead of listening to God. To a large extent, teachings they hold in common, but that differ from the Bible, originated in ancient Babylon = Babel = Confusion.
The instigator of such religious confusion is identified in the Bible as Satan the Devil, the "god of this system of things". (2Cor.4:4) So we would need to make sure that we are really worshipping the true God, the Creator of heaven and earth,and that our worship is pleasing to Him!

It was foretold that the true faith would be 'lost' for a time after that which is causing a restraint (the last apostle) died. THEN Satan would have a field day with his confusion and lies! This we see with how the 1st century way of living as a Christian gave way to churches full of hypocrisy!
But as the last days or the end of the age, as some Bibles put it got closer, there would be a RESTORATION of TRUE Christianity!
What religion/way of life/faith do you see today that follows as close as possible 1st century Christianity, not involving themselves in politics, not being 'part of the world', but keeping busy preaching and teaching about God's kingdom govt and living as clean a life as possible in this wicked world??

Nomad

You make an excellent point, DTrent. "Follow God not men." :clap

Is there a way to follow God today that is not taught by men. The Bible is one answer but is still very confusing to me (I'm still very young :bonk: ).

You wrote:
"What religion/way of life/faith do you see today that follows as close as possible 1st century Christianity, not involving themselves in politics, not being 'part of the world', but keeping busy preaching and teaching about God's kingdom govt and living as clean a life as possible in this wicked world??"

I've yet to see such a Christian Faith.

If there is one, make it known.

may

If you just take a look around here you can see why...everyone has there own opinion for themselves on what is meant in scripture...I can't say that we are all to understand it the same either...mostly what Scott said is fact...Pride keeps some from admitting there are flaws in what they believe..others have such a mindset that they just aren't willing to hear another opinion. I recently posted a thread on why as well and in reading the answers it became apparent...we are not all carbon copies of each other...perhaps if all the Christian leaders would get together and just go on Biblical words they could narrow it down to one set of beliefs and all but given just the opinions here on these forums it's very clear it won't happen until God comes back and they are governed by the Master Himself!:)
True christianity is already governed by Jesus christ.

may

You make an excellent point, DTrent. "Follow God not men." :clap

Is there a way to follow God today that is not taught by men. The Bible is one answer but is still very confusing to me (I'm still very young :bonk: ).

You wrote:
"What religion/way of life/faith do you see today that follows as close as possible 1st century Christianity, not involving themselves in politics, not being 'part of the world', but keeping busy preaching and teaching about God's kingdom govt and living as clean a life as possible in this wicked world??"

I've yet to see such a Christian Faith.

If there is one, make it known.
I have found it :) and it is very good

may

Faith is easily overcome when divided. And the creature knows that.
Its sad that the end of the world must come to an end, before all are united.

No offense meant, Scott. Sorry.

(Note: I'm not a Christian. I'm very open to just about any religion, with the exception of Left Hand Paths. Been there, done that. Not for me.)
the bible teaches that the end of false religion will come ,and the end of manmade goverments will come . then Jesus can rule without the influence of both of these . he is ruling now in Gods established heavenly kingdom goverment Daniel 2;44 but when the opposers are out the way it will be great blessing in store for those who are willing to be governed by king Jesus christ .......... i have put my vote in for this established heavenly kingdom goverment , because it is the only way to peace on the earth .REVELATION 7;9-10its all happening in these the last days .

CDWolfe

Progressive Deist

Why are there so many denominations?

Because so many people have so many different beliefs. They start off going to a church growing up, get to where they don't like that old church as an adult, and they form their own church and do things their way.