• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused and Not Sure

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No I haven't considered it before, it might be difficult to find a Unitarian Universalist church to go to as I live in small suburban town but I can look online and see if there is one in my area.

I believe part of it is because I'm familiar with it but also because I believe in Jesus' message. I know about the Lutheran denomination as I went to a Lutheran grade school and high school, but beyond that I, admittedly, don't know too much about the other denominations. I haven't considered that but I will look at them. I do know that my view of homosexuality will make it difficult.
Ahh, I see. Still, I'm sure there will be something around, somewhere. UU churches seem to be surprisingly popular in the States.

If you don't know much about other denominations, it may be worth looking at them. One I like is Anglicanism (Episcopalianism), because it's surprisingly liberal. There are many Anglicans in the UK who are not trinitarians, even though it's generally a trinitarian church, and they often do not have a problem with homosexuality -- at least that's been my experience with Anglicanism, personally. It may be worth looking at yourself, though, because I seem to come from opposite land. :D

One I've recently learnt more about is Methodism - but I don't know their stance. It may be awesome though, since they come from Anglicans, who are pretty awesome themselves.

Do you live near any Anglican (or Episcopalian) churches? Are you willing to give us a run down on nearby religious places of worship and their denominations if you know? :)

Ahh, I see. Still, I'm sure there will be something around, somewhere. UU churches seem to be surprisingly popular in the States.

If you don't know much about other denominations, it may be worth looking at them. One I like is Anglicanism (Episcopalianism), because it's surprisingly liberal. There are many Anglicans in the UK who are not trinitarians, even though it's generally a trinitarian church, and they often do not have a problem with homosexuality -- at least that's been my experience with Anglicanism, personally. It may be worth looking at yourself, though, because I seem to come from opposite land. :D

One I've recently learnt more about is Methodism - but I don't know their stance. It may be awesome though, since they come from Anglicans, who are pretty awesome themselves.

Do you live near any Anglican (or Episcopalian) churches? Are you willing to give us a run down on nearby religious places of worship and their denominations if you know? :)

I'll definetly look at learning more about the other denominations, thank you for recommending some of the ones you know!

I don't believe there are any by me but there could be:shrug:. I know there is a Lutheran church, a Non-Denominational Christian church and a Baptist church in my city, there are a few Lutheran churches in neighboring cities also. I'm not sure if that's all there is in my city or even in neighboring one's but it shouldn't be too difficult to look online.

Last edited:

Vorinn

Hi Sarah,

Your post definitely screamed UU to me too. But I'm curious which group of Lutherans your schools were affiliated with. Some Lutheran groups have a reputation for being more liberal than others - I believe that ELCA Lutherans are more liberal than Missouri Synod Lutherans. If you are at all interested in remaining under the broad Lutheran umbrella (and you don't have to be - like I said, your post sounded more UU to me), then you might still be able to find something more to your liking, although they might not agree with you on all points.

Which of the mainline Protestant churches (Episcopalian, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian) you feel more comfortable in may also depend as much on the particular church that is close to you as it does on the overarching doctrine of those churches. This is definitely true in the Episcopal church, where homosexuality has been a huge issue recently. Some churches may be very accepting, while others may have hellfire-and-brimstone sermons. It will depend on your community.

Those are just a few things you might want to think about. I hope that was helpful or informative.

Hi Sarah,

Your post definitely screamed UU to me too. But I'm curious which group of Lutherans your schools were affiliated with. Some Lutheran groups have a reputation for being more liberal than others - I believe that ELCA Lutherans are more liberal than Missouri Synod Lutherans. If you are at all interested in remaining under the broad Lutheran umbrella (and you don't have to be - like I said, your post sounded more UU to me), then you might still be able to find something more to your liking, although they might not agree with you on all points.

Which of the mainline Protestant churches (Episcopalian, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian) you feel more comfortable in may also depend as much on the particular church that is close to you as it does on the overarching doctrine of those churches. This is definitely true in the Episcopal church, where homosexuality has been a huge issue recently. Some churches may be very accepting, while others may have hellfire-and-brimstone sermons. It will depend on your community.

Those are just a few things you might want to think about. I hope that was helpful or informative.

Is there a site that lists all the UU churchs in America? I'm asking because I don't think there is one in my area and I'm wondering how close or far away the nearest one is. My schools are Missouri Synod Lutheran. I'm not very interested in remaining under the broad Lutheran umbrella, I guess the fact that all the pastors I had during the my chapel services in high school and the pastors at the church for my second grade school really turned me off/away with their fire-and-brimstone sermons.

Thank you, it was both helpful and imformative:).

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'll definetly look at learning more about the other denominations, thank you for recommending some of the ones you know!
You're very welcome. :)

I don't believe there are any by me but there could be:shrug:. I know there is a Lutheran church, a Non-Denominational Christian church and a Baptist church in my city, there are a few Lutheran churches in neighboring cities also. I'm not sure if that's all there is in my city or even in neighboring one's but it shouldn't be too difficult to look online.
I'd avoid ND and Baptists for now, to be honest: they're generally quite conservative.

I did a bit of searching, and there are some Episcopalian churches nearby. One or two of them may be near to where you live.

What I would suggest is you go onto Google Maps, and type in something like: anglian church (your city name)

...and then telephone any of the churches that come up in your area to inquire more about them, or visit them if they're close by. Seeking is, generally, an unfortunately lengthy process, so I'd say keep praying, reading scriptures, visiting new places, and so on. You will eventually find something out. :)

Vorinn

Is there a site that lists all the UU churchs in America? I'm asking because I don't think there is one in my area and I'm wondering how close or far away the nearest one is.

Try UUA: Find a Congregation
This website lets you search for a UU church by your zip code.

My schools are Missouri Synod Lutheran. I'm not very interested in remaining under the broad Lutheran umbrella, I guess the fact that all the pastors I had during the my chapel services in high school and the pastors at the church for my second grade school really turned me off/away with their fire-and-brimstone sermons.
I thought they probably were. I think you might find ELCA Lutherans more to your liking, but there is no need to stay.

You're very welcome. :)

I'd avoid ND and Baptists for now, to be honest: they're generally quite conservative.

I did a bit of searching, and there are some Episcopalian churches nearby. One or two of them may be near to where you live.

What I would suggest is you go onto Google Maps, and type in something like: anglian church (your city name)

...and then telephone any of the churches that come up in your area to inquire more about them, or visit them if they're close by. Seeking is, generally, an unfortunately lengthy process, so I'd say keep praying, reading scriptures, visiting new places, and so on. You will eventually find something out. :)

Okay. Google Maps is quite useful, even though I don't use it very often. Yeah I figured it would probably take awhile to something.

Try
This website lets you search for a UU church by your zip code.

I thought they probably were. I think you might find ELCA Lutherans more to your liking, but there is no need to stay.

Thank you! I'll look at the site soon.

Okay, I'll do some looking into ELCA Lutherans also.

cocolia42

Hi. I also have issues with some Christian doctrine, especially since every denomination claims something different. I became a member of the United Methodist Church. They have no social stance other than being against slavery. They take no stance on homosexuality or gay marriage or premarital sex or anything else. They believe that God is a personal god and that we cannot know God's will for another. They also don't preach that fire and brimstone stuff. In fact, I've never even heard the word hell mentioned in any sermon by any pastor at any UMC church that I've ever attended! Keep looking and God will guide you to the right path for you.

Hi. I also have issues with some Christian doctrine, especially since every denomination claims something different. I became a member of the United Methodist Church. They have no social stance other than being against slavery. They take no stance on homosexuality or gay marriage or premarital sex or anything else. They believe that God is a personal god and that we cannot know God's will for another. They also don't preach that fire and brimstone stuff. In fact, I've never even heard the word hell mentioned in any sermon by any pastor at any UMC church that I've ever attended! Keep looking and God will guide you to the right path for you.

I have definetly noticed how every denomination claims to believe something different. I didn't know that the United Methodists had no social stance, that's cool.

I like their view of God, it seems to make alot of sense that he is personal and we can't know his will or plans for another person. I love the fact that you've never heard the word hell mentioned in any sermon, I hate the fire and brimstone style of preaching. Thank you for your information on the United Methodist Church:).

Shuddhasattva

You may wish to look outside the Judeo-Christian reality tunnel; taoism, Buddhism, Hinduism, that kind of thing, but I wouldn't suggest looking to join a religion and submit yourself to doctrines and dogma.

Personal syncreticism is called for, I believe, while still respecting the religions in their own context.

Say you decide that you agree with the Hindu philosophy of God, or rather, a Hindu philosophy of god, as there are multiple, clearly defiend branches and views within Hinduism ... but Hinduism doesn't have Jesus. That's not to say you can't worship Jesus, or believe that Jesus was a great man who taught truth and ethics, and continue to revere him as such, on a personal level. It just isn't Hinduism per se - but nor is it incompatible with Hinduism.

Perhaps we can see different religions as lenses onto the infinite, each totally incapable of actually describing truth, god or ethics beyond the narrow imprimatur of language, and perhaps valid in varying degrees. Nonetheless, can we allow ourselves to look through multiple lenses, whether sequentially or at once, or need we confine ourselves?

Hope this is helpful...

You may wish to look outside the Judeo-Christian reality tunnel; taoism, Buddhism, Hinduism, that kind of thing, but I wouldn't suggest looking to join a religion and submit yourself to doctrines and dogma.

Personal syncreticism is called for, I believe, while still respecting the religions in their own context.

Say you decide that you agree with the Hindu philosophy of God, or rather, a Hindu philosophy of god, as there are multiple, clearly defiend branches and views within Hinduism ... but Hinduism doesn't have Jesus. That's not to say you can't worship Jesus, or believe that Jesus was a great man who taught truth and ethics, and continue to revere him as such, on a personal level. It just isn't Hinduism per se - but nor is it incompatible with Hinduism.

Perhaps we can see different religions as lenses onto the infinite, each totally incapable of actually describing truth, god or ethics beyond the narrow imprimatur of language, and perhaps valid in varying degrees. Nonetheless, can we allow ourselves to look through multiple lenses, whether sequentially or at once, or need we confine ourselves?

Hope this is helpful...

I have thought about doing that.

So when you say personal syncreticism, you're basically saying that you can follow a different religion while still holding some personal beliefs from another?

It seems that some people are fine with confining themselves while others prefer to look through multiple lenses.

It is helpful, it is also an interesting viewpoint.

Hello!!

I'm Sarah and am obviously new here. I was raised Christian, have gone to two different religious grade schools(once was Non-Denominational and the other was Lutheran), I also went a Lutheran high school and have always viewed myself as Non-Denominational. But of late, I'm questioning if I really am completely Christian plus I haven't gone to church in 6 years.

I have found that there are alot of aspects of the Bible I have a hard time accepting or believing, some of those are: homosexuality is a sin, premarital sex is a sin, I have a hard time accepting a lot of the stories in the Bible, I don't think we should fear God either. I also don't like the 'fire and brimstone' way alot of pastors preach.

I believe in Jesus, I don't view him as God but instead as more of a teacher I guess; as he himself said more than once that he is the son of man and not the son of God. I feel that one can get to Heaven by believing in God, but I also think that can't be the only way. I think that God is loving and is accepting of everyone. I do believe there is an afterlife, just not sure that I think it is divided into a section for believers and a section for non believers.

I'm looking for a religion that fits me but I don't want to give up Christianity completely. There are certain aspects of it I still accept/believe. I guess what I am looking for is a religion where I can combine what I believe from Christianity with a religion that fits me. Sorry if this doesn't make sense or seems jumbled, I sometimes have a hard time writing down my thoughts.

Hi there. First i want to say it is odd what you present as your issues with the bible... It leads me to believe you haven't really studied it.

Let me explain:

You said this

ShadowhunterStar said:
homosexuality is a sin, premarital sex is a sin

You didn't talk about tattoos (Leviticus 19:28), Wearing polyester (Leviticus 19:19) or eating shellfish (Leviticus 11:10). Do you find it queer that you choose to complain about homosexuality and premarital sex and not these other items?

Also I detect this idolization of Jesus. He might have been real. But he was written about posthumously. (After he died) You wont find any film or anything like we have today that you could conclude as definite proof. But maybe you don't need proof per se. Everyone around me growing up said he was a great guy. And I am a guy. And one day as a teen I had fight with my mom. I asked my priest if I should be killed. Jesus said I should be. (Matthew 15:4-7)

He said no son... just ask for forgiveness and apologize to your mom. Jesus was not perfect by our recorded account of his words and deeds and those accounts probably have nothing to do with jesus if there ever was a jesus.

Trying to find a religion is good for social purposes as I find I meet a lot of interesting people at church... but they are mostly atheists and going to church exclusively to interact with their community and make new friends.

I can't advise you on a good religion... If I had to based on your comments I would say get involved in the skeptical community.

Skepchick -
Skeptoid

Penn and Teller? etc.

Last edited: