• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused again. Help!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Again I am in a state of flux. I don't know what to call myself. I like Buddhism and Daoism as philosophies, but religiously I really like Baha'i, Zoroastrianism and Sikhism. I can't pick just one. What am I? :(

Galen.Iksnudnard

Well for starters, I don't think you are allowed to convert into Zoroastrianism anymore. The official answer, which is given by the Parsi priestly hierarchy in Bombay, is that you aren't allowed to. Their religion has banned proselytism since the 12th century or something like that.

Of course, nothing stops you from believing in Ahura Mazda and following the teachings of Zoroaster, but technically, you are not Zoroastrian unless you've undergone some of their rituals. It's kind of like how you aren't technically a Catholic until you've been baptised.

As for Baha'i and Sikhism, there are a lot of similarities, but a few differences too. For instance, Some Baha'is believe in the Judeo-Christian creation story, while the Sikhs do not. Sikhism believes in re-incarnation but the Baha'is don't. Baha'i is Abrahamic while Sikhism is Dharmic.

You can check out this list of similarities and differences:

Baha'i vs Sikhism - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Hope it helps.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Your desire to help the poor, lead a simple life and fight injustice makes me say Sikhi. Others than that it is for you to decide :)

Knight of Albion

What does it matter? Life is a continuum. All people survive death (as will your pet dog or cat or whatever) and what religion you did or did not follow won't make an iota of difference. Nor, of itself, will it advance your soul one jot.

It is only our conduct in this life that will determine our destiny and our future state of being, and our advancement up the spheres of Light, which is the goal of incarnation.

Gandhi famously said that the world's faiths are like the 'branches of a tree'. Every one plays its part in making up the whole and all are connected to the trunk (God).

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Of the choices you given, I would say look into Daoism. :3

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
I believe in a creator God, and neither Buddhism nor Daoism go into that, do they? That's why I said I like them as philosophies instead of religions.

Certain sects of Buddhism believe in a creator God as well. As someone stated earlier, if you examine them, almost all religions in one form or another say the same thing. You can find athiest Christianity, Thiestic Daoism, etc. etc.

The problem is that your probably not going to find one particular religion, or sect within a religion that fills all your needs that doesn't include some beliefs that you don't agree with.

I will say however, that if you continue to seek the religion that perfectly fit's you, in your seeking you will probably end up realizing somewhere along the line, that there is none.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Certain sects of Buddhism believe in a creator God as well.

I will say however, that if you continue to seek the religion that perfectly fit's you, in your seeking you will probably end up realizing somewhere along the line, that there is none.

Which schools of Buddhism have a creator? I'm sure I read about it, but can't remember which it was.

Yes, you're probably right. I just like fitting into one category or another.

vtunie

May I say? Step back and live without faith and purely by empirical rationalism. For a while. A long while. Several years at least.

And in all that time spend NONE of your precious energy (I say that in the straightest possible way) searching for meaning that only confuses you.

For the sake of all that is good, no more philosophy. It is not worth flux and confusion.

Treks

Thirza ji I don't think any of us will ever fit into a category. Like the deer seeking musk which is actually coming from his own body, he looks all around and can't find it, but's its within in.

The problem with categories is that they are mirages. A religion or even a sect within a religion looks unified from the outside, but inside it's full of people with different understanding, knowledge, experience and opinions. When you get in you realise you still don't fit in - no body does.

Unless you join a cult. Ask Breathe, he might be able to help you with that. :p

But even then you can see how cults usually end badly, or they grow and split up because not everyone can agree...

Knight of Albion

What does it matter? Life is a continuum. All people survive death (as will your pet dog or cat or whatever) and what religion you did or did not follow won't make an iota of difference. Nor, of itself, will it advance your soul one jot.

It is only our conduct in this life that will determine our destiny and our future state of being, and our advancement up the spheres of Light, which is the goal of incarnation.

Gandhi famously said that the world's faiths are like the 'branches of a tree'. Every one plays its part in making up the whole and all are connected to the trunk (God).

I say again, it's not what religion you follow, it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing...

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Some ideas within Tibetan Buddhism come close to the idea of a creator god, but none is actually stated to exist.

As far as the OP, what I see leads me to think Hinduism.

Treks

Yeah you've got it ji, concentrate on what you believe and value and seek a religion that matches closes to that.