• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confucius and the Buddha

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Is there any evidence to suggest that these two great teachers, who were alive at the same time, knew of each other and were influenced by the others teachings?

Master Vigil

I've never heard of Confucious meeting Buddha, but I have read that he met Lao Tzu. But since Buddhism didn't come to china until Bodhidarhma brought it there, I think it doubtful that they met.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I must concur. I am aware that many Chinese and Japanese forms of Buddhism incorporate quite a bit of Confucian principles, due to the fact that these were widespread in China when Buddhism took root there, and Buddhism always adapts itself to the culture where it is practiced to a greater or lesser degree.

Master Vigil

I still would say no, because even the chinese style of buddhism is a little different than the original tradition that buddha taught. Correct me if I'm wrong. But confucious seemed to have a different outlook on life. Very centered on mankind, and civilization. Humans shape and form the tao, seems to be a difference than the buddhist ideas.

Lloyd

Master Vigil said:
I still would say no, because even the chinese style of buddhism is a little different than the original tradition that buddha taught. Correct me if I'm wrong. But confucious seemed to have a different outlook on life. Very centered on mankind, and civilization. Humans shape and form the tao, seems to be a difference than the buddhist ideas.
Agreed, Confucianism is the philosophy of bureaucrats and patriarchs, not monks and hermits. Confucius was very concerned with tanglible results, ritual for it's own sake, and order, order, order. Granted, there was a fairly strong spiritual aspect to it but there was almost no discussion of consciousness which is a paramount subject within Buddhism. The two traditions complement each other nicely though, even if they're on very different wavelengths.

SATYAKI

I've never heard of Confucious meeting Buddha, but I have read that he met Lao Tzu. But since Buddhism didn't come to china until Bodhidarhma brought it there, I think it doubtful that they met.

No, I don't think so.However,the wisdom of these three masters is truly grand. :bow:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend GG,

Is there any evidence to suggest that these two great teachers, who were alive at the same time, knew of each other and were influenced by the others teachings?

As they never met face to face.
There seems to be no evidence of confucius and buddha being influenced by each other too.
Taoism and buddhism did merge beautifully and Zen is what emerged out of them.
Love & rgds

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I've never heard of any evidence they met or were influenced by each other's teachings.

Master Vigil

I know, right? I really enjoy looking back at these old threads and seeing how I differ spiritually now compared to then. I still feel the same about this OT though. :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
They wouldn't have had to meet to be aware of each other and each other's teachings, however....

Quite true. It's undeniable that there was at least some interaction between Cathy and India during the 6th cent BCE., and since philosophers and religious icons were the celebrities of the period, and since those who are well traveled also tend to be well informed, and since there's usually a mutual fascination between cultures distant from each other, it's pretty safe to assume that there would have been some exchange of ideas between those exposed to the ideas of one or the other.

Whether or not either figure was influenced by the other's teachings is a different story. My first guess would be; probably not.

abhimanyu

I believe it is Lao Tzu's teachings that are more similar to the Buddha's than Confucius's.:)

Smoke

Done here.
It's undeniable that there was at least some interaction between Cathy and India
india-and-cathy.jpg