• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confucianism Gods

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Some probably are. The gods, or god, are of little enough importance in Confucianism. That is, not much is made of them in comparison to the role they play in some other religions. Moreover, I don't know of anything in Confucianism that would preclude one from being a monotheist. Or, for that matter, that would encourage one to be a monotheist.

Antibush5

In Confucianism you can take a religious view by worshiping Tian which is Heaven, you could also worship the normal Chinese deities, my personal favourite is Wen Chang. People often say about ancestor worship, but from what I've studied, its not so much worship more paying respect to your dead family members.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I always saw it as more of a political, social, familiar system then one about gods. it neither say here nor their... though i think it was historicaly based from a polythistic system...
I read a few places that Confucianism is monotheistic. Is this true?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
In Confucianism you can take a religious view by worshiping Tian which is Heaven, you could also worship the normal Chinese deities, my personal favourite is Wen Chang. People often say about ancestor worship, but from what I've studied, its not so much worship more paying respect to your dead family members.
This has been my understanding, as well.

From what I recall, Tian is used for both "Heaven" and "God" in Chinese (a new religious movement, "Supreme Master Ching Hai", uses "God" and "Heaven" pretty much interchangably) - at least this is what I have been told. I'm not sure if it's "Gods" though, since I haven't really read it in Chinese I'm not sure - but Chinese doesn't mark plurals except in the pronouns, unless Heaven references "the collection of deities".

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
Yes, religious confucianism is pretty much monotheistic, holding Heaven as the highest authority. During the earlier dynasties, there also was the ruler of Heaven, Shangdi, sole and undivided just God. Something akin to Abrahamic lord. His name even means "Lord on High", and was considered by early jesuits to be compatible with bible's God.

I think its the China's complex history that has shaped Confucianism to its current undefined form, and its modern state is not least the handwork of People's Republic. But if you'd ask the master what he'd think...I'm not sure. I suppose he never was to start a new religion, simply building a new frame for existing wisdom. For him, though, Heaven and Shangdi were the real deal.