• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confucianism’s 大学 Dà xué ~ As I See It ~ part 1

Thea

account deleted
Follow your :heartbeat:, can't go wrong with that:)

Sanathana Dharma describes God as:
Sat Chit Anandam = Being Awareness Bliss
Hence I felt a good connection reading your "As I See It"

Also, can we put God in words, or is God beyond words?
I need to read between the lines, to get glimpses
Agreed. :heartdecoration: And I love that description of God. Even though I think that God is beyond words. :)

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
@Cobie

Again, and this is the last time I will ask (the third time I have asked you) What God are you referring to?
God of Abraham, or some other God?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Knowing the Root
知本 zhī běn

~~~~~<>~~~~~
~~~~~<>~~~~~

The teachings for your subject of study, are :
大学 Dà xué 之 zhī 道 dào

shine the radiant inner light,
在 zài 明 míng 明 míng 德 dé

love people,
在 zài 亲 qīn 民 mín

come to rest in awareness of God.
在 zài 止 zhǐ 于 yú 至 zhì 善 shàn 知 zhī

~~~~~<>~~~~~
~~~~~<>~~~~~

Come to rest, after that it’s God’s will;
止 zhǐ 而后 有 érhòu yǒu 定 dìng;

God’s will, after that it’s possible to calm down;
定 dìng 而后 能 érhòu néng 静 jìng;

calmed down, after that it’s possible to be peace-loving;
静 jìng 而后 能 érhòu néng 安 ān;

peace-loving, after that it’s possible to think things through;
安 ān 而后 能 érhòu néng 虑 lǜ;

thought things through, after that you are ready.
虑 lǜ 而后 能 érhòu néng 得 dé.
I have never ceased to be amazed by the wisdom of Kung Fu Tze. I hope you post often in the forum.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Ready for ?

The Chinese Communist Party ?

There’s a lot to be said for discontent.

Confucianism was and is, strongly opposed to the Communist party. And vice versa. The Communist party tries to bulldoze Confucian temples far more than even Christian or Buddhist, and much more than Taoist (who generally thrive by keeping to themselves).

Yet Confucianism is so hated because it reminds Communism of why it eventually will fail.

Btw, if you trace back the roots of Chinese communism, it is less like Russian communism, and has more to do with a school of thought known as Mohism. Mohism advocates universal love, abstaining from ceremonies, and a sort of blanket equality. The problem of universal love, thoygh is that it fails to understand that treating everything equally is fine if you're a Taoist and mostly stay out of gove or actively advise it to doas little as possible. But trying to provide equality is like the picture of people looking into a baseball game with a wall in the way. It involves either treating everyone equally and letting them succeed or fail (the short kid won't be able to see over the wall), or overmanaging and in fact not treating everyone equally. The picture is of the shorter kid getting a box to stand on, but this sort of heavy-handed meddling not only makes those who do something feel burdened for their own success, but if the government is willing to meddle to support people it likes, it is also means the government will likely hinder those who are "too privileged." China had a famine because it stabbed its farmer in the back.

Confucianism on the other hand, understood that rewarding worth was more important than treating people equally . Taoism like Mohism, didn't value the worthy but they did it because they saw the risk of competing over merit as bad, not out of a misguided sense of equality. That people should try to find their own ambitions, not compete with others. Bottom line, Mohism sucks, as do its Communist descendants.

You should read Mencius. Confucius has alot of nonsense statements about "this is how the master shaves, and this is how he drink tea, and this is how he sleeps." I didn't find it a good read, whereas Mencius remarks about just as it's the duty of the governed to show filial piety to the ruler, the ruler must also serve their people. He tells that taxes should be capped at 10% and the ruler should ensure people have farmland and housing because they contribute when they have food and clothes and are happy. That they should concentrate on not making too many rules but treating people as their children (not to be confused with treating them like children). He also mentions a park which seems big, then shows that such place doesn't allow hunting (and in modern days, you can't sleep on the bench), and he says the reason it seems big is that it is like gaping pit that people stay clear of. They can't enjoy it, there are too many rules, abd they get caught.

Thea

account deleted
I do not consider The Great Learning to be a Confucian text. Confucius did not write it, he collected old texts from various states. The Confucians used it but that does not make it exclusively theirs. It was and is read by all, also by the Daoists. :)

I would love to know where Confucius found The Great Learning. Does anyone know which state it came from?

@shunyadragon You’re very knowledgeable, do you know where it came from?

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I do not consider The Great Learning to be a Confucian text. Confucius did not write it, he collected old texts from various states. The Confucians used it but that does not make it exclusively theirs. It was and is read by all, also by the Daoists. :)

I would love to know where Confucius found The Great Learning. Does anyone know which state it came from?

@shunyadragon You’re very knowledgeable, do you know where it came from?

Actually, you are likely correct, Confucius wrote very little if anything original. He traveled the kingdoms and collected literary works ie poetry, wisdom works, historical records, legal documents, and other collections of writings. His immediate students were likely involved in the collection and compilation of these works.It would be difficult to differentiate the compilations made by Confucius and his students. I got hints of this in studying the poetry and other works collected, and found them disjoint and not in order of source or time the works were finally compiled in the works we have today. Some appear blended in the compilation as in 'The Great Learning' which appears ot have parts of different material from other literary works collected. The origins of some of the works, like poetry, history, and some legal works may be traced to time and place of origin, but not all.

Last edited: