• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confirmation Bias

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am watching this YouTube video (TedTalk) about confirmation bias. We have knack for confirming something is true about our beliefs (in general), opinions, and even our own research on a non-statistical topic. This is not only something humans do in general, it is also a positive observation of what happens to a lot of people in various religions regardless if that religion is supernatural, pantheistic, or whatever. There is no bias (favorite worldview) in this point; but, its interesting nonetheless.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I just assume I'm wrong about everything I am certain about. Then on those rare occasions I can actually prove something true, it comes as a pleasant surprise. :D

Though I can see the theological connection, I think this really goes into every aspect of our lives. It's easier to be aware of someone else's confirmation bias then root out our own. So generally, I'm not too judgemental about confirmation bias unless I can actually help someone get closer to the truth of a thing.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I try to question my own thoughts regularly I have had to change my views before. Sometimes it is difficult though.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe confirmation bias is rooted in the desire for the sense of community and a sense of belonging.

lukethethird

unknown member
I like that saying about 'before criticizing the speck in your brother's eye...', because it is about confirmation bias, and it's easier to see it in others than in ourselves, well, except in my case, I'm not biased.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I try to question my own thoughts regularly I have had to change my views before. Sometimes it is difficult though.

Yeah. Thats a healthy thing to do. I notice I have my own biases myself. A lot of them healthy just observation wise. Others I need work on. Think thats a human thing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I just assume I'm wrong about everything I am certain about. Then on those rare occasions I can actually prove something true, it comes as a pleasant surprise. :D

Though I can see the theological connection, I think this really goes into every aspect of our lives. It's easier to be aware of someone else's confirmation bias then root out our own. So generally, I'm not too judgemental about confirmation bias unless I can actually help someone get closer to the truth of a thing.

Actually, thats a good technique. Many of us do the opposite. We say we are certain and get upset when we are wrong. Some things works better backwards.