• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Condemns ISIS for war and hate but okay with Catholic church's past atrocities for centuries?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
ISIS is dubbed as unIslamic by many for their violent and inhumane treatment of people.
But the Catholic church that destroyed sacred pagan temples all over Europe, forcefully converted millions, started wars with their neighbors in the name of religion in Europe and in Israel.
StArted the LGBT persecution, burning atheists and scientists to death and also even protestant who are also Christians.
Later caused the witchunts that killed millions of women, Spanish inquisition that spread all over Europe except maybe England.
Catholic emissaries destroyed native indian lands, killing everyone and practically making them extinct.
Coming to India and forcefully converting people to their religion.

So... You condemn ISIS for the atrocities that might have killed around a few million in the last few years.
But 1.2 billion people are okay being the member of the church that slaughtered people globally in many many millions over 1600 years?

And before the blame game starts, I m a Buddhist and not a fanatical Muslim.
And just curious about the possible reasons that wants to be members of this community.

Subhankar Zac

Okay, to be fair, there were plenty of pre-Christian societies that didn't look favourably on same-sex relations.

In other words, if someone discriminates against a minority, the Christian way is to burn the minority to death.
Well Yeah! Excellent defense...!
Roman empire had many sanctioned LGBT groups and a few Gods, the Greeks had Zeus who had a male lover, Hindus accepted transgender people and tolerated homosexuality very much.
But by all means, blame other cultures...

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
ISIS is dubbed as unIslamic by many for their violent and inhumane treatment of people.
But the Catholic church that destroyed sacred pagan temples all over Europe, forcefully converted millions, started wars with their neighbors in the name of religion in Europe and in Israel.
StArted the LGBT persecution, burning atheists and scientists to death and also even protestant who are also Christians.
Later caused the witchunts that killed millions of women, Spanish inquisition that spread all over Europe except maybe England.
Catholic emissaries destroyed native indian lands, killing everyone and practically making them extinct.

So... You condemn ISIS for the atrocities that might have killed around a few million in the last few years.
But 1.2 billion people are okay being the member of the church that slaughtered people globally in many many millions over 1600 years?

And just curious about the possible reasons that wants to be members of this community.
That is a good question. The Catholic Church's horrific record of atrocities, lunacy, bigotry and deeply embedded corruption throughout its history is much of the reason, besides its theological problems, that I left it.

Subhankar Zac

It's history, get over it. - every single Christian when I asked the same question.

Muslims too follow a man who destroyed Pagan shrines and commanded forced conversions and also killing of non Muslims.
So, none of two are saintly.

Raahim

مكتوب
Muslims too follow a man who destroyed Pagan shrines and commanded forced conversions and also killing of non Muslims.
So, none of two are saintly.

So if I got it right you are hurt because basically Pagans are today's minority and blame monotheists for removing idols etc. (Some by force, some by peace)?

Subhankar Zac

So if I got it right you are hurt because basically Pagans are today's minority and blame monotheists for removing idols etc. (Some by force, some by peace)?

Technically speaking, all theists are pagans... Major religious Gods stem out of pagan shrines.
But I blame people who destroy public properties and temples and impose their view of religious ideals of it.

4consideration

Premium Member
I can't recall seeing anyone on RF saying they are OK with past atrocities.

Where are you seeing Christians saying that? What exactly have they said?

I might point out that most people are not able to time travel so they don't spend that much of their time trying to change things that happened hundreds of years ago. Many people understand that we really only exist in present time, so what is currently happening is the only things that we can actually change.

If we wish to spend our time being angry about the wrongs committed over the past hundreds, or thousands of years, I don't believe any group of people remains innocent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Two corrections; they didn't burn millions of women as witches (not that many, and men and children were also burned), and LBGT persecution didn't start with them. And it's not just history, but even modern times they are guilty of abuse - the priests sex scandals that involved Cardinals and Bishops blaming the victims and the previous Pope trying to cover it up.

I've seen it here numerous times.

idav

Being
Premium Member

We are watching all across the board. When some extremist does something here in the states, guess who it is, not Muslims. I can start counting on my hand from this year. I'm pretty sure both already had their conquests, now here we are with more conquests. Isn't ISIS just mostly killing brothers, non-apostates at this point, well its always brothers I guess but thats another topic? What they are doing is comparable to Hitler though, I'm not just saying that to be dramatic, it really is.

4consideration

Premium Member
I've seen it here numerous times.
Really? I'd like to see what was said that you're thinking is being okay with it.

I'm guessing we may be talking about two different things.

The OP is talking about serious harm being done to others. Can you give us some examples, or at least the context and argument you've seen where people are okay with it in the same way some might be okay with the activities of ISIS today? Do you see Christians on RF supporting forced conversions, killing, torturing, burning, etc. people today?

I have seen, and would also argue, that humanity has a legacy of atrocities committed for various reasons. I don't argue that the Catholic church did some horrible things in its history.

But, what I see people do in discussion about this, and I'm inclined to take this approach myself, is to recognize that with anything in history, when it comes to what is past and what one can't control -- acceptance that it occurred is a form of getting ok with the past being exactly the way the past was, even if there was pain and injustice. That is not the same thing as supporting such things as being ok to do today.

The way I see it, for the OP to be anything other than a strawman, Christians would have to support the Catholic church doing these terrible things today in order for it to be valid to equate them and Catholicism with ISIS today.

Subhankar Zac

I might point out that most people are not able to time travel so they don't spend that much of their time trying to change things that happened hundreds of years ago. Many people understand that we really only exist in present time, so what is currently happening is the only things that we can actually change.

If we wish to spend our time being angry about the wrongs committed over the past hundreds, or thousands of years, I don't believe any group of people remains innocent.

You sir, are either incapable of reading English or funding loopholes to somehow dodge the question by twisting what I asked.
I asked about the membership with a church that has slaughtered millions, not what they are doing right now.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
You sir, are either incapable of reading English or funding loopholes to somehow dodge the question by twisting what I asked.
I asked about the membership with a church that has slaughtered millions, not what they are doing right now.

And your question has been answered.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So...a long time ago...some followers of your religion did this...

Checkmate, bigot!