• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concious Deity in Panentheism

Dena

Is god in panentheism a conscious being who makes decisions through some sort of through process? Or, no? Is there a variety of belief in that area?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'm what I describe as panentheist/polytheist and to me the Source deity is like an energy, the spark of life itself, that flows through all. It is a repository for all knowledge as it touches everything and all life. I believe that singular gods, as we know them, are but manifestations of certain aspects of the Source. So the Source isn't a singular conscious being unto itself, but the Aspects/gods/goddesses that stem out of it are conscious beings. As we are conscious beings, and we are both part of and contribute to the Source, then the gods have that consciousness too and pull from and represent aspects of ourselves and the Whole.

Now, I don't know if any of that made any sense to you, they are just my beliefs on the matter. I'm not a strict panentheist I guess, as not all panentheists hold to the idea of polytheism as well. However, I don't think you'll find many panentheists that would hold that there is any singular consciousness to Deity itself.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I consider myself a panentheist. Like Draka, I have polytheistic leanings, although mine have appeared quite recently.

I believe my God is life itself, and it is Pure Consciousness (not "consciousness" which relies on mental faculties, but something more difficult to describe) itself, so yes, I believe it is aware.

Does it make decisions? I don't know. Possibly, probably, but maybe not the way we would understand it; I doubt it acts upon them. Does it mete it out punishments or rewards, or intervene with the universe's laws? Not in my view, even though I believe it is possible to have some sort of experience with this Noumenon; I believe that every action, thought, event and feeling that occurs, the Divine is experiencing.

My opinion is, if the Divine allows events to occur and has any control over them or any influence in them whatsoever (which I don't really believe, but accept may occur), then it would be allowing them occur to experience a plethora of events.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Odion, I think we have different ideas of consciousness, or as you put it, your concept of the consciousness of the Source Deity is more difficult to describe. When I say that I don't think many panentheists hold there is a singular consciousness to Deity I am thinking more along the lines of willful, decision-making, singular consciousness like would be attributed to us or gods/goddesses. Again, I don't know if I'm communicating this well, but I hope you get my general meaning. :p I would kind of agree with you a little bit that there is a flowing consciousness to the Source in a way, like you I don't know how to describe what I'm meaning, but I don't think of it like a singular consciousness like I just described. I really don't know if I'm making any sense here. :p

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Odion, I think we have different ideas of consciousness, or as you put it, your concept of the consciousness of the Source Deity is more difficult to describe. When I say that I don't think many panentheists hold there is a singular consciousness to Deity I am thinking more along the lines of willful, decision-making, singular consciousness like would be attributed to us or gods/goddesses. Again, I don't know if I'm communicating this well, but I hope you get my general meaning. :p I would kind of agree with you a little bit that there is a flowing consciousness to the Source in a way, like you I don't know how to describe what I'm meaning, but I don't think of it like a singular consciousness like I just described. I really don't know if I'm making any sense here. :p
LOL! I get you, I think. Languages are tricky things. :)

idav

Being
Premium Member
When god is all encompassing then so is it's awareness. Awareness would stem from the source.

Dena

So willful, decision making (as Draka put it) may or may not be a part of your belief system? Just depends on the person?

I am a panentheist! In my perception, it means that God is both immanent and transcendent. Thus, He is both simultaneously Ground of All Being itself, as well as the Supreme Being. A person can see God in others, as an inanimate characteristic, virtue, or quality, or as that One Being who cares for us, loves us, and guides us to what our inner hearts desire.

A Hindu aphorism that I know of, says that 'not a blade of grass moves without the sanction of the Supreme Absolute!'

Treks

I've spent 5 minutes working on a reply and although I'm a panentheist, I'm stuck for words, and haven't made it past two sentences yet! I'm still learning.

If It makes wilful descisions, they would be beyond our comprehension. I think It's conscious, going by my limited understanding of Sikh scripture, but conscious in a way we don't understand. I'm stuck for words. I'll ponder on it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Panentheism does not include a definition of whether God is formless or with form, personal or impersonal.
You can be a panentheist and believe that God is personal and has form and you can be a panentheist who believes God is formless and impersonal.

You can even be a panentheist and believe that God is personal but formless.

There are many things that one might believe about the panentheistic concept of reality.

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
Is god in panentheism a conscious being who makes decisions through some sort of through process? Or, no? Is there a variety of belief in that area?

To extend this idea (or this question) a little further...

What is the role of prayer in panentheism? Or would praying even make sense in this belief system?

In this context I am referring to prayer in two varieties: First, prayers of petition, where the prayer is asking for some blessing from God, and second, prayers of gratitude to thank God (or gods) for some blessing that has already been received.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
To extend this idea (or this question) a little further...

What is the role of prayer in panentheism? Or would praying even make sense in this belief system?

In this context I am referring to prayer in two varieties: First, prayers of petition, where the prayer is asking for some blessing from God, and second, prayers of gratitude to thank God (or gods) for some blessing that has already been received.

Panentheism isn't a religion. It is a concept. Like monotheism or polytheism.
Panentheists exist in most religions but are prominent in Hinduism and Sikhism, who both have prayer as a major part of their practice.

But I'm sure there are panentheists who have a different set of beliefs and practice who would not pray. It really depends on the religion and other beliefs that surround their panentheism.

In Panentheism, God does in fact transcend his/her/its creation. God is superior to his creation. He is the controller. But his creation is manifest from his own Self so that everything is part of him/her/it.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Im also now pantheistic/polytheistic in an anamistic way and while god has consciousness I would not say god is conscious

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to springboard off this post, because there are points I can relate to, but with some differences. Besides, I'm too lazy to think for myself right now. :D

I consider myself a panentheist. Like Draka, I have polytheistic leanings, although mine have appeared quite recently.

Same here. I'm panentheistic and polytheistic, henotheistic if you will. My polytheism only recently surfaced because I stopped fighting "oh, the deities are all just aspects of God". Maybe they are, but they have wills and minds and duties of their own. Even Krishna refers to other deities and demi-gods.

I believe my God is life itself, and it is Pure Consciousness (not "consciousness" which relies on mental faculties, but something more difficult to describe) itself, so yes, I believe it is aware.

Yes.

Does it make decisions? I don't know. Possibly, probably, but maybe not the way we would understand it; I doubt it acts upon them. Does it mete it out punishments or rewards, or intervene with the universe's laws? Not in my view,

I think God does adjudicate the laws of karma at a very complex level. If God is all, then karma is part of God.

even though I believe it is possible to have some sort of experience with this Noumenon; I believe that every action, thought, event and feeling that occurs, the Divine is experiencing.

And stop making me look up words on Wikipedia, dammit! :D

"So much for the courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can all understand!"

"We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days."

"And do you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ish ka kwi ai durugnul!"

"That was not so courteous."

My opinion is, if the Divine allows events to occur and has any control over them or any influence in them whatsoever (which I don't really believe, but accept may occur), then it would be allowing them occur to experience a plethora of events.

My new-found and newly-founded school of Kashmir Vaishnavism says this is so: the unity of everything: panentheism.