• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

concept of satan in hinduism like christianity,islam and Judaism?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
To understand various paths/ways/religions it is necessary to understand the concepts. found this at:
Is there concept of satan in hinduism like christianity,islam and Judaism? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
but like everyone who agrees or disagrees to share his/her views and reason if any to enable everyone to broadbase their understanding.

Judaism
Main article: Satan
In Judaism there is no concept of a devil like in mainstream Christianity or Islam. In Hebrew, the biblical word ha-satan (שָׂטָן) means "the adversary"[2] or the obstacle, or even "the prosecutor" (recognizing that God is viewed as the ultimate Judge).

In the book of Job (Iyov), ha-satan is the title, not the proper name, of an angel submitted to God; he is the divine court's chief prosecutor. In Judaism ha-satan does not make evil, rather points out to God the evil inclinations and actions of humankind. In essence ha-satan has no power unless humans do evil things. After God points out Job's piety, ha-satan asks for permission to test the faith of Job. The righteous man is afflicted with loss of family, property, and later, health, but he still stays faithful to God. At the conclusion of this book God appears as a whirlwind, explaining to all that divine justice is inscrutable. In the epilogue Job's possessions are restored and he has a second family to "replace" the one that died.

In the Torah, ha-satan is mentioned several times. The main time is during the incident of the golden calf. As the source of people's evil inclination, or yetser harah, he is responsible for the Israelites building the golden calf while Moses was on Mount Sinai receiving the Torah from God. In the book of Chronicles, ha-satan incites David to an unlawful census.

In fact, the Book of Isaiah, Job, Ecclesiastes, and Deuteronomy all have passages in which God is credited for creating both the good and the evil of this world.

[edit] Christianity
Main article: Devil in Christianity

Saint Wolfgang and the Devil by Michael Pacher).In mainstream Christianity the Devil is also known as Satan and sometimes as Lucifer, although most scholars recognize the reference in Isaiah 14:12 to Lucifer, or the Morning Star, to be a reference to the Babylonian king (see, for example, the entries in Nave's Topical Bible, the Holman Bible Dictionary and the Adam Clarke Commentary). Some consider the Devil to be an angel who rebelled against God, and has been condemned to the Lake of Fire. He is described as hating all humanity, or more accurately creation, spreading lies and deceit around the world. Other Christians (for example, Christadelphians) consider the devil in the Bible to refer figuratively to human sin and temptation and to any human system in opposition to God. In the Bible, the devil is identified with the serpent in the Garden of Eden and the dragon in the Book of Revelation (e.g. Rev. 12:9), and the tempter of the Gospels (e.g. Mat. 4:1).

[edit] Islam
Main article: Iblis
In Islam the Devil is referred to as Iblis (Arabic: Shaitan, a word referring to evil devil-like beings). According to the Qur'an, God created the Satan out of "smokeless fire" (along with all of the other jinn) and created man out of clay. The primary characteristic of the Devil, besides hubris, is that he has no power other than the power to cast evil suggestions into the heart of men and women.

According to Muslim theology, Iblis was expelled from the grace of God when he disobeyed God by choosing not to pay homage to Adam, the father of all mankind. He claimed to be superior to Adam, on the grounds that man was created of earth unlike himself. As for the angels, they prostrated before Adam to show their homage and obedience to God. However, Iblis, adamant in his view that man is inferior, and unlike angels was given the ability to choose, made a choice of not obeying God. This caused him to be expelled by God, a fact that Iblis blamed on humanity. Initially, the Devil was successful in deceiving Adam, but once his intentions became clear, Adam and Eve repented to God and were freed from their misdeeds and forgiven. God gave them a strong warning about Iblis and the fires of Hell and asked them and their children (humankind) to stay away from the deceptions of their senses caused by the Devil.

According to the verses of the Qur’an, the Devil's mission until the Qiyamah or Resurrection Day (yaum-ul-qiyama) is to deceive Adam's children (mankind). After that, he will be put into the fires of Hell along with those whom he has deceived. The Devil is also referred to as one of the jinns, as they are all created from the smokeless fires. The Qur'an does not depict Iblis as the enemy of God, for God is supreme over all his creations and Iblis is just one of his creations. Iblis's single enemy is humanity. He intends to discourage humans from obeying God. Thus, humankind is warned to struggle (jihad) against the mischiefs of the Satan and temptations he puts them in. The ones who succeed in this are rewarded with Paradise (jannath ul firdaus), attainable only by righteous conduct
Hinduism
In contrast to Christianity, Islam, and Zoroastrianism, Hinduism does not recognize any central evil force or entity such as the Devil opposing God. Hinduism does recognize that different beings (e.g., asuras) and entities can perform evil acts, under the temporary dominance of the guna of tamas, and cause wordly sufferings. The Rajasic and Tamasic Gunas of Maya are considered especially close to the Abrahamic concept , the hellish parts of the Ultimate Delusion called "Prakriti". An embodiment of this is the concept of Advaita (non-dualism) where there is no good or evil but simply different levels of realization.

On the other hand in Hinduism, which provides plenty of room for counterpoint, there is also the notion of dvaita (dualism) where there is interplay between good and evil tendencies.[5] A prominent asura is Rahu whose characteristics are similar to those of the Devil. However, Hindus, and Vaishnavites in particular, believe that an avatar of Vishnu incarnates to defeat evil when evil reaches its greatest strength. The concept of Guna and Karma also explain evil to a degree, rather than the influence of a devil.

To be more specific, Hindu philosophy defines that the only existing thing (Truth) is the Almighty God. So, all the asuric tendencies are inferior and mostly exist as illusions in the mind. Asuras are also different people in whom bad motivations and intentions (tamas) have temporarily outweighed the good ones (Sattva). Different beings like siddha, gandharva, yaksha etc. are considered beings unlike mankind, and in some ways superior to men.

In Ayyavazhi, officially an offshoot of Hinduism prominent in Tamil Nadu (a southern state in India with Dravidian heritage), followers, unlike most other branches of Hinduism, believes in a Satan-like figure, Kroni. Kroni, according to Ayyavazhi is the primordial manifestation of evil and manifests in various forms of evil, i.e., Ravana, Duryodhana, etc., in different ages or yugas. In response to such manifestation of evil, believers, in Ayya-Vazhi religion believe that God, as Vishnu manifests in His avatars such as Rama and Krishna to defeat evil. Eventually, the Ekam with the spirit (the spirit taken by Narayana only for incarnating in the world) of Narayana incarnates in the world as Ayya Vaikundar to destroy the final manifestaion of Kroni, Kaliyan.

Kroni, the spirit of Kali Yuga is said to be omnipresent in this age and that is one of the reasons why followers of Ayya Vazhi, like most Hindus, believe that the current yuga, Kali Yuga is so degraded.

Love & rgds

apophenia

"There ain't no devil, that's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits, Heart Attack and Vine.

That may sound like a joke, but it's a joke which makes a profound suggestion, probably in the direction of advaita. I suspect that this is the most commonly held view (unofficially), which is why it appeals as humour.

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

Friends,
To understand various paths/ways/religions it is necessary to understand the concepts. found this at:
Is there concept of satan in hinduism like christianity,islam and Judaism? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
but like everyone who agrees or disagrees to share his/her views and reason if any to enable everyone to broadbase their understanding.

Love & rgds

I have never heard of a concept of "Satan" in Hinduism, if there is id like to see proof of it. In Hinduism I think evil is just our own deeds, thoughts and Karma.

In Hinduism there is no second to Ishwar or anyone rival to it, There is only Ishwar and that is it, that's why I believe its the only true religion when it comes to complete monotheism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No devil or Satan in Hinduism. Period. No mention in scriptures, no practises that indicate it. Only place you fine it is in some western indologists' total misunderstanding.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend apophenia,

"There ain't no devil, that's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits, Heart Attack and Vine.
Exactly. the point if God is there Satan comes by default; duality.
Do you agree??

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Satya and Vinayaka,

Yes it is known however wanted to know why it is there is Abrahamic paths and not in dharmic. Shall discuss it later.

Love & rgds

apophenia

Friend apophenia,

Exactly. the point if God is there Satan comes by default; duality.
Do you agree??

Love & rgds

Depends on exactly what you mean by god, and by satan. Satan implies Abrahamic religion to me. Abrahamic theology doesn't do it for me.

I don't agree that the hindu definition of god implies any default satan.

Wannabe Yogi

I read about a Swami who had a dream that the Devil was chocking him. Only to wake up with his own hands around his neck.

There are Asuras in Hinduism but they are not at all like Christian demons. I see no system of belief in Hinduism for satan it goes against the very fabric of Hinduism.

Satyamavejayanti

Wannabe Yogi;2857003]I read about a Swami who had a dream that the Devil was chocking him. Only to wake up with his own hands around his neck.

Wise words friend.

There are Asuras in Hinduism but they are not at all like Christian demons. I see no system of belief in Hinduism for satan it goes against the very fabric of Hinduism.

I Agree,

I think we have to take Asura for what it means in Sanskrit, I think it could mean Evil ruler or Bad person who is in control or more appropriately an Adharmic government ect.

Or tamasic tenancies which are in control in a person/society ect.

But it does not mean any supernatural being at all.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend rosan,

You are copy pasting the same post on different threads; which appears as spamming.
Could you be specific in your responses to different threads.

Love & rgds