• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concept of Charity in Religion

abdul rahim

In Islam there is a requirement for Zakah, which is basically the rights of poor and needy people on wealth of the riches. I would like to know if there is any similar requirement in other religions which deal with charity and care for the poor.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'll answer in multiple posts.

The Bible, Matthew, says this for Christians:

[34] Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
[35] For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
[36] Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
[37] Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
[38] When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
[39] Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
[40] And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For Jews:

The Obligation of Tzedakah

Giving to the poor is an obligation in Judaism, a duty that cannot be forsaken even by those who are themselves in need. Some sages have said that tzedakah is the highest of all commandments, equal to all of them combined, and that a person who does not perform tzedakah is equivalent to an idol worshipper. This is probably hyperbole, but it illustrates the importance of tzedakah in Jewish thought. Tzedakah is one of the three acts that gain us forgiveness from our sins. The High Holiday liturgy repeatedly states that G-d has inscribed a judgment against all who have sinned, but teshuvah (repentance), tefilah (prayer) and tzedakah can alleviate the decree. See Days of Awe.

According to Jewish law, we are required to give one-tenth of our income to the poor.

Judaism 101: Tzedakah: Charity

Treks

In Sikhi, the Code of Conduct, section 4, says:

n. A Sikh shall regard a poor person’s mouth as the Guru’s cash offerings box.
Sikh scripture (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji) mentions charity as a positive thing, but more often reminds us that simply giving charity is not enough; we need to be kind to everyone and remember God. Perhaps the strongest call to charity is actually modifying the idea of the five daily prayer in Islam:

From page 141 of SGGSJ:
First Mehl:
There are five prayers and five times of day for prayer; the five have five names.
Let the first be truthfulness, the second honest living, and the third charity in the Name of God.
Let the fourth be good will to all, and the fifth the praise of the Lord.
Repeat the prayer of good deeds, and then, you may call yourself a Muslim.

Since this thread is about charity specifically, I haven't mentioned the larger Sikh tradition of free food for everyone (langar) and voluntary service (seva).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In Islam there is a requirement for Zakah, which is basically the rights of poor and needy people on wealth of the riches. I would like to know if there is any similar requirement in other religions which deal with charity and care for the poor.

We are to "give to others without reservations and expectations of anything in return" ~Carlita 3:5

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
charity in religion is love of souls, and benevolence towards all as deserves.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
In Germanic culture, charity was regarded innately. While if one was rich enough they had a hoard to take with them to the afterlife (akin to the Pharaohs of Egypt,) for the large part possessions belonged to the people and to no one all the same. If a guest liked a blanket, for instance, and found more use for it than the owner, it was the guests by way of gifting. The Hávamál even outlines charity, and how it can make friends of foes:

None so free with gifts or food have I found
That gladly he took not a gift,
Nor one who so widely scattered his wealth
That of recompense hatred he had.

If wealth a man has won for himself,

Let him never suffer in need;
Oft he saves for a foe what he plans for a friend,
For much goes worse than we wish.

~Hávamál s.39

Greeting wanderers and guests into the warmth of one's home is also regarded as charity; giving of one's material wealth is not the only form of charity.

Fire he needs who with frozen knees
Has come from the cold without;
Food and clothes must the farer have,
The man from the mountains come.

Water and towels and welcoming speech

Should he find who comes to the feast;
If renown he would get, and again be greeted,
Wisely and well must he act.

~Hávamál s.3-4

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've never needed a book to tell me to help my fellow human animals when they are in need. It's always been a "Well, Duh!" type thing. I've never understood why some folks have to be told or read this type of thing, as if it isn't their natural inclination.

arthra

Baha'i

As above mentioned by Daniel in Post 4.. Those who can afford it are asked to contribute 19 % of their income after expenses to meet the needs of various programs..The Huquq'ullah is not meant to be a donation, but is rather meant to be a claim by God for support of the interests of all people. It is partly used to equalize wealth across different parts of the world.[4]

As above see:

Huqúqu'lláh - Wikipedia

Eventually the Houses of Worship that are established are supposed to have dependencies such as a Hospital, University, Hospice for their respective communities.

Baha'i employers in the future are also expected to offer profit sharing for their employees.

Treks

I've never needed a book to tell me to help my fellow human animals when they are in need. It's always been a "Well, Duh!" type thing. I've never understood why some folks have to be told or read this type of thing, as if it isn't their natural inclination.

I speculate it makes some people feel a little self-righteous nowadays, but back when a lot of this stuff was written, perhaps people needed reminding that it was OK/better to share.

Flankerl

8 Levels of Tzedakah

8. When donations are given grudgingly.

7. When one gives less than he should, but does so cheerfully.

6. When one gives directly to the poor upon being asked.

5. When one gives directly to the poor without being asked.

4. Donations when the recipient is aware of the donor's identity, but the donor still doesn't know the specific identity of the recipient.

3. Donations when the donor is aware to whom the charity is being given, but the recipient is unaware of the source.

2. Giving assistance in such a way that the giver and recipient are unknown to each other. Communal funds, administered by responsible people are also in this category.

1. The highest form of charity is to help sustain a person before they become impoverished by offering a substantial gift in a dignified manner, or by extending a suitable loan, or by helping them find employment or establish themselves in business so as to make it unnecessary for them to become dependent on others.

VioletVortex

I don't feel the need to participate in any charity. However, there are instances where I would happily donate money to a particular cause, given that I had a sufficient amount of money. For example, I may become a supporting member here once I am 18 and able to secure a job.

What I would not do is give money to a homeless man. I would bet that same amount of money that he would be intending to spend it on alcohol and drugs. I don't see any relation between charity and the Left Hand Path either. I think the nature of the philosophy leaves it up to personal decision.

Treks

The Hávamál even outlines charity, and how it can make friends of foes:

None so free with gifts or food have I found
That gladly he took not a gift,
Nor one who so widely scattered his wealth
That of recompense hatred he had.

If wealth a man has won for himself,
Let him never suffer in need;
Oft he saves for a foe what he plans for a friend,
For much goes worse than we wish.

~Hávamál s.39

RaginPagan, do you think that second stanza is an encouragement to spend/use wealth and generosity sooner rather than later, because the person you're saving it for, that person who is your friend, could become your foe?

I may not be understanding it, I'm new to this poetry.

Thanks!

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
RaginPagan, do you think that second stanza is an encouragement to spend/use wealth and generosity sooner rather than later, because the person you're saving it for, that person who is your friend, could become your foe?
Not quite. It's advice to be prepared. This time, however, wealth is our weapon. When we have an abundance of something, we should be generous with it - especially to our enemies - rather than hoarding. Imagine this situation: You have a wealth of beer, more than enough to supply a party that you're throwing. Unexpectedly, an argument breaks out because of a guest, and is on the verge of a full-on fight between you and them. You're upset, they're upset, and the mood is in danger.

Our initial reaction might be to kick them out, to deny them your food and drink. As the host, that would certainly be your right, and one way to ensure the party goes on is to remove threats and trouble-causers from that party. Or, one could take that foe aside, offer them a beer, and talk things through - or at least attempt to do so. You've more than enough beer, your friends won't lack for drink, and you mend a bridge.

I've actually done this before, and it was certainly the better option. Back in high school, a classmate and I absolutely did not get along. We were certainly foes. Somehow or another, he owed me $5, and I wouldn't let it go. ($5 was a lot for a freshman, after all.) Every week I would hound him for my money, until finally I got the dean involved. My classmate literally shoved a $5 bill in my face, and that was the end of it.

A few days later, I was watching a movie in the TV lounge with my grandparents on my birthday, enjoying some cake. That classmate came in, and immediately turned around to leave. But I invited him to join us and have some cake; after all, I had more than I could eat. We've been good friends ever since, even when he went back home to Mexico after graduation.