• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer problems

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I have been having a serious problem with my laptop. When I type in Word, the text jumps to another line and gets stuck in between another sentence. I thought I solved that problem when I downloaded this program called TouchFreeze-1.1.0 because I stopped having the problem after that, but now it is happening again. It is not that bad in Word but on forums it is much worse. Whole sentences that I typed just disappear and I have to keep doing an undo and start over. It is getting so bad that I cannot post on this forum anymore if it cannot be fixed. It is also happening on the Delphi Forum I post on.

I am typing this in Word. I thought that the problem in Word was not that bad but I just had to correct what I typed three times since I started writing this paragraph. My husband is also having the same problem on his laptop but it is not as bad.

I am losing my mind. I write so many posts I do not have the time to deal with this anymore!

Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so what is the solution?

ManSinha

You have not mentioned:

1. What is your operating system? Windows? Mac? Linux?
2. Which version of Word are you using?
3. Are the latest fixes and patches installed?
4. Have you run a disk diagnostic checking for errors?

How to stop laptop's jumping cursor when using a word processing program

Couple of solutions: In escalating order of difficulty

1. IF Windows - use System Restore - sys restore - to try and restore to a point when the problem was not happening IF Mac - do same thing using Time Machine - if you do not know what I am talking about ask for details
2. Uninstall Office - reboot and then reinstall Office
3. Back up your important files, music, documents, pictures, shows etc - reformat your hard drive and reinstall your operating system - ask for details if you need to

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You have not mentioned:

1. What is your operating system? Windows? Mac? Linux?
2. Which version of Word are you using?
3. Are the latest fixes and patches installed?
4. Have you run a disk diagnostic checking for errors?
Windows 7
Microsoft Office 7
It is running updates

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I have been having a serious problem with my laptop. When I type in Word, the text jumps to another line and gets stuck in between another sentence. I thought I solved that problem when I downloaded this program called TouchFreeze-1.1.0 because I stopped having the problem after that, but now it is happening again. It is not that bad in Word but on forums it is much worse. Whole sentences that I typed just disappear and I have to keep doing an undo and start over. It is getting so bad that I cannot post on this forum anymore if it cannot be fixed. It is also happening on the Delphi Forum I post on.

I am typing this in Word. I thought that the problem in Word was not that bad but I just had to correct what I typed three times since I started writing this paragraph. My husband is also having the same problem on his laptop but it is not as bad.

I am losing my mind. I write so many posts I do not have the time to deal with this anymore!

Sometimes it does happen to me. It generally happens because my thumb or palm just ever so slightly brushes against the touchpad. Try being more mindful of where your hands are in relation to the trackpad and this should solve itself.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Augustus is probably right. I don't know why both laptops would be doing it, so your priority should be backing up your documents and pictures.

Simple things to try after you back everything up. Since both laptops are doing it, eliminate anything they have in common such as a common power outlet/printer etc. Consider any recent changes before this started. Disconnect all peripherals like printers and mice. Shut down, boot back up. Try using a different mouse or external mouse. Then I'd try removing and refreshing the drivers for the keyboard. Then I'd try using an external keyboard, such as a USB keyboard and disabling the built in keyboard. You may need a tech to help unless you are willing to accept the risk of doing it yourself. Don't do all of the troubleshooting steps at the same time.

Its unusual, and it could be a driver problem/virus infection/keyboard problem/conflict between hardware devices. Its too vague to say what it is.

Bob the Unbeliever

Windows 7
Microsoft Office 7
It is running updates

Okay. There are some excellent alternatives to Office, and they are both free, and well maintained. The best, IMO, is Libreoffice. It is a descendant of Open Office, and is still being updated. Free to download.

Even better-- it is capable of reading (and saving to) all the Microsoft office doc formats, including the spreadsheet stuff.

If you do not experience the symptoms in a different writing venue? (even something as simple as NOTEPAD, which is still there under 'Accessories', then the issue is with Office 7 (possible).

Secondly. You can still get to Windows 10, for free. Several ways. The simplest? Is to just do it-- yes, Windoze 10 will nag you sometimes to 'register'. But it still works more or less. Some of the deep customizing options are disabled, but that's about it. If you don't care about customizing? There you go.

Finally? As others have pointed out, it *could* be an issue with your touchpad.

Here's a simple diagnosis: Attach an external mouse. Put a small piece of cardboard over the touchpad-- use some of that blue tape if needed, to keep it there.

See if your problems go away.... if so? Update the touchpad's drivers. Most of the newer drivers have "palm rejection" settings that you can play with.

Or just keep using the mouse... ;)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

You might try checking what programs you have running is startup. When you start your computer all these applications start running in the background. Most of them are helpful but sometimes they might interfere with other applications. You can disable them one by one and see if that helps. You can usually find information about each one online and decide whether it is something you want to keep.

Windows 10 it works a little differently but I found a link that shows how to access your startup files in Windows 7.
How-To Disable Startup Programs In Windows 7 and Vista

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Backup your files
Clean install operating system
Restore programmes and files
Thanks but I cannot do that.
I do not have the OS, it came installed with my laptop that I got off Craigslist.
I do not know how to Restore programmes and files[.
I don;t know enough about computers so I only do simple things lest I mess something up...
If it gets complicated I take it to a tech.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It would appear that your version of Word is behind the times - we are at version 16 which is Word 2016. That may be a part of the issue.
Thanks but I do not think that is not the problem.
I like Word 2007 better than Word 2016. I have Word 2016 at work and I could get Microsoft Office 2016 for free from work for home use but I do not want it.

If Word 2007 was the problem, then I would not have the same jumping around of text when I am typing right into the forum.
The problem is even worse in the forum.
I think my mouse pad needs to be disabled but I do not know how to do it.
Who uses a mouse pad anyway?
I never had these problems on my desktop computer.

I am completely losing my mind with this text jumping around all over the place.
I do not have time for this.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Okay. There are some excellent alternatives to Office, and they are both free, and well maintained. The best, IMO, is Libreoffice. It is a descendant of Open Office, and is still being updated. Free to download.

Even better-- it is capable of reading (and saving to) all the Microsoft office doc formats, including the spreadsheet stuff.

If you do not experience the symptoms in a different writing venue? (even something as simple as NOTEPAD, which is still there under 'Accessories', then the issue is with Office 7 (possible).

Secondly. You can still get to Windows 10, for free. Several ways. The simplest? Is to just do it-- yes, Windoze 10 will nag you sometimes to 'register'. But it still works more or less. Some of the deep customizing options are disabled, but that's about it. If you don't care about customizing? There you go.

Finally? As others have pointed out, it *could* be an issue with your touchpad.

Here's a simple diagnosis: Attach an external mouse. Put a small piece of cardboard over the touchpad-- use some of that blue tape if needed, to keep it there.

See if your problems go away.... if so? Update the touchpad's drivers. Most of the newer drivers have "palm rejection" settings that you can play with.

Or just keep using the mouse... ;)
Thanks Bob. You are so kind and helpful.
I have the same problem while writing right into the forum, and it is even worse than when I am in Word, so I logically deduced it is not a problem with Word or my OS.

I always use a mouse for everything.
That touchpad is utterly useless.
I just covered the stupid touchpad with cardboard, so now I will see what happens.
I am not holding my breath that this will fix the problem, not anymore than I am holding my breath waiting for God to do anything. :rolleyes:
But if this fixes the problem, I will proceed to the next step.

What I don't understand is why this just started happening... This laptop had been working okay up till just the last few days, and I did not do anything to the computer. :confused:o_O

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Thanks so much. I read on that website and found out how to disable the touchpad varies according to the brand of laptop you have. But I found someone who had exactly the same problem I am having on an HP. which is what I have. I also tried Touchfreeze and it seemed to work for a while, then stopped working.

How to Disable Touchpad
‎01-26-2010 07:45 AM​

I just bough my HP Mini 311-1000, running Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. The touchpad is SO sensitive that the slightest brush by my thumbpad sends the cursor off in wild, random directions. I'm using a wireless mouse for the most past and would like to disable the touch pad when I'm typing. I've installed the freeware program "Touchfreeze", but it apparently does not work with Win 7. Any help out there? Thanks.​

But the solution they gave him did not work for me because my HP model is different.....
I do not have a HP6730b, but am having the same problem this poster is having:

I have a HP6730b and our company switched to Windows 7 and there's no access to disable the touchpad. While I'm typing, the cursor jumping around all over the place and is driving me crazy. I've read the previous posts but those don't apply in this situation. I had no trouble disabling the touchpad with Vista but I can't access anything in the control panel that will enable me to do this. Under devices, mouses, etc., no touchpad is listed and all it says under devices is HID-Compliant Mouse OR PS/2 Compatible Mouse. How can I disable this thing?!?!?!?!
I tried putting cardboard over the touchpad and that seems to be working so maybe I have isolated the problem. At least if I know it is the touchpad and not some other problem such as a virus, I can move forward for a solution.
I might try calling HP on Monday and ask how to disable the touchpad and/or I might call the computer tech and ask him.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You might try checking what programs you have running is startup. When you start your computer all these applications start running in the background. Most of them are helpful but sometimes they might interfere with other applications. You can disable them one by one and see if that helps. You can usually find information about each one online and decide whether it is something you want to keep.

Windows 10 it works a little differently but I found a link that shows how to access your startup files in Windows 7.
How-To Disable Startup Programs In Windows 7 and Vista
Thanks. I think this has something to do with the touchpad because since I covered it with thick cardboard I am not having the problem. I need to disable the touchpad but I do not know how. I looked around all over and there is nothing in the Control Panel that refers to the touchpad.

I have no user manual for this laptop since I got it from a Craigslist ad. I guess I need to call HP.

Bob the Unbeliever

Thanks. I think this has something to do with the touchpad because since I covered it with thick cardboard I am not having the problem. I need to disable the touchpad but I do not know how. I looked around all over and there is nothing in the Control Panel that refers to the touchpad.

I have no user manual for this laptop since I got it from a Craigslist ad. I guess I need to call HP.

Hey-- if the cardboard works? Switch up to thick plastic sheeting, like a flexible sheet of some sort (thicker than sandwich wrap, but thinner than window glass).

Cut a piece large enough to go over the whole bottom part where you rest your hands. You can secure it with tape at either edge (wrapping around the case-- don't cover any cooling holes!) or use some double-sticky tape underneath. A pair of strips vertical at either side, won't interfere with anything important, and won't affect the feel-- the plastic will just dip a bit between the tape strips.

Smooth plastic will last for years, easy to clean, and replaceable when it gets dirty. I'm thinking a plastic sheet like you'd use for baking/cutting-- one that is thin (about 1/16" or a couple of mm) and could be cut with heavy scissors.

Then? You don't need to worry about it. I had a laptop which "ate" keyboards-- that is, the built-in one kept dying. I'd replace with a new one from Amazon, at $15 a pop, and within a month? Dead again. I finally pulled it permanently, and "replaced" it with some corrugated plastic sheet I cut to *just* fit into the hole. A wireless Logitec keyboard and mouse used only one tiny dongle for both. Win-win. The set I purchased used replaceable/disposable batteries, lasting about 6 months or so. Used that setup for several years. I found I much preferred the movable keyboard to the built-in one anyway-- move around to avoid fatigue. It would sit neatly on top of the now plain base of the laptop.

Good Luck!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Hey-- if the cardboard works? Switch up to thick plastic sheeting, like a flexible sheet of some sort (thicker than sandwich wrap, but thinner than window glass).

Cut a piece large enough to go over the whole bottom part where you rest your hands. You can secure it with tape at either edge (wrapping around the case-- don't cover any cooling holes!) or use some double-sticky tape underneath. A pair of strips vertical at either side, won't interfere with anything important, and won't affect the feel-- the plastic will just dip a bit between the tape strips.

Smooth plastic will last for years, easy to clean, and replaceable when it gets dirty. I'm thinking a plastic sheet like you'd use for baking/cutting-- one that is thin (about 1/16" or a couple of mm) and could be cut with heavy scissors.

Then? You don't need to worry about it. I had a laptop which "ate" keyboards-- that is, the built-in one kept dying. I'd replace with a new one from Amazon, at $15 a pop, and within a month? Dead again. I finally pulled it permanently, and "replaced" it with some corrugated plastic sheet I cut to *just* fit into the hole. A wireless Logitec keyboard and mouse used only one tiny dongle for both. Win-win. The set I purchased used replaceable/disposable batteries, lasting about 6 months or so. Used that setup for several years. I found I much preferred the movable keyboard to the built-in one anyway-- move around to avoid fatigue. It would sit neatly on top of the now plain base of the laptop.

Good Luck!
Thanks Bob, I might try that plastic, but for now the cardboard is working. I might also try to find out how to permanently disable the touchpad on this laptop, because I do not need it for anything.... but for now I am good to go....

You don't know how grateful I am for this solution...:)
I not only post on RF, I also have my own forum and a Baha'i Forum I post on so I could not afford to have this holding me up....... I am already SO behind on posts today even though I got up two hours earlier than I planned to since the phone rang the phone at 9 am and woke me up. :mad:

I do not know what to do when the keys on a laptop are no longer readable. That is not a problem on the laptop I am now using because it has hardly been used, but the older laptop I was using has this problem. My husband is now using that older laptop and it is not a problem for him because he knows how to type without looking at the keyboard... :rolleyes:

Bob the Unbeliever

Thanks Bob, I might try that plastic, but for now the cardboard is working. I might also try to find out how to permanently disable the touchpad on this laptop, because I do not need it for anything.... but for now I am good to go....

You don't know how grateful I am for this solution...:)
I not only post on RF, I also have my own forum and a Baha'i Forum I post on so I could not afford to have this holding me up....... I am already SO behind on posts today even though I got up two hours earlier than I planned to since the phone rang the phone at 9 am and woke me up. :mad:

I do not know what to do when the keys on a laptop are no longer readable. That is not a problem on the laptop I am now using because it has hardly been used, but the older laptop I was using has this problem. My husband is now using that older laptop and it is not a problem for him because he knows how to type without looking at the keyboard... :rolleyes:

You are so welcome! Disabling your 'pad is pretty easy-- if you are modestly familiar with the idiosyncrasies of Micro$oft Windoze.

On the flip side? If what you have works-- why mess with it further? :)

One of the Best Engineering Advice I've ever heard was, if it ain't broke, don't be poking around trying to "fix" it.

:D

(ironic... I know... I know... )