• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer Hell

pearl

I was recently informed that Microsoft would no long support Windows seven. The very next day I was all done.
The culprit came during the night and left me with an unsuccessful reboot. Realizing my predicament I grudgingly bought a new computer with Windows ten. Never did I realize how intimidating this process was going to be. I had saved all my documents of Microsoft Word, and was informed that also is no longer supported, I would have to buy Microsoft Office in order to retrieve whatever I had saved. Fortunately my daughter has it and it is good for 5 computers. The one bright spot is the amazing help I got from Staples, and of course my husband who somehow made it all work. I sure I'm probably not the only person so unpleasantly surprised.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I sure I'm probably not the only person so unpleasantly surprised.

When I saw the thread title, I was not surprised because so many people are sent there these days. When I read about Microsoft, I was even more not surprised given how often they are the cause. When I read that the cure was spending money, I was still more not surprised.

I write this as a retired IT guy with decades of experience of computer hell of one sort or another where I needed to find a road out of where I had landed.

That's the reason that there are so many images like this floating around the internet

209824.png

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was recently informed that Microsoft would no long support Windows seven. The very next day I was all done.
The culprit came during the night and left me with an unsuccessful reboot. Realizing my predicament I grudgingly bought a new computer with Windows ten. Never did I realize how intimidating this process was going to be. I had saved all my documents of Microsoft Word, and was informed that also is no longer supported, I would have to buy Microsoft Office in order to retrieve whatever I had saved. Fortunately my daughter has it and it is good for 5 computers. The one bright spot is the amazing help I got from Staples, and of course my husband who somehow made it all work. I sure I'm probably not the only person so unpleasantly surprised.

Forget word, download open office for free, it will open your old .doc documents.

Ellen Brown

I sympathize with you. I write Fiction, and windows 10 has made keeping track of my files a Hell. After lots of different solutions that did not seem to work, I finally have a USB Solid State Hard Drive where I put anything that I am working on, or have worked on in the last year. I have to be careful that the software does not change where the files I save are going. This I have to watch very carefully.

Linux seemed appealing for a while but I am a writer, not a geek and do no wish to become one...

Ellen Brown

Forget word, download open office for free, it will open your old .doc documents.

When I got my first Computer back in the early 90s, I used Word Perfect and loved it. Because of my Engineering work, when Symphony came out it was very good, though in those days, the memory made lots of errors.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I find LibreOffice better and with more updates. I stopped using MS Word when it became bloatware with ribbons

ChristineM

Premium Member
When I got my first Computer back in the early 90s, I used Word Perfect and loved it. Because of my Engineering work, when Symphony came out it was very good, though in those days, the memory made lots of errors.

We had WP at the office for a while. Then moved over to linux and started with Ted before adopting open office

ChristineM

Premium Member
I find LibreOffice better and with more updates. I stopped using MS Word when it became bloatware with ribbons

We had been on OpenOffice for 10 years before LibreOffice came on the scene, so like teaching old dogs new tricks we stuck with OO

I understand it will open .doc files too

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
We had been on OpenOffice for 10 years before LibreOffice came on the scene, so like teaching old dogs new tricks we stuck with OO

I understand it will open .doc files too
They're basically the same. I just prefer the more frequent updates and aesthetic.

ChristineM

Premium Member
They're basically the same. I just prefer the more frequent updates and aesthetic.

I can understand the aesthetic, but why does it need lots of updates? My thinking, if updates are needed there is a problem.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I can understand the aesthetic, but why does it need lots of updates? My thinking, if updates are needed there is a problem.
It is an open software as with OO and the developers are very responsive to user comments; rather than there being anything wrong, it's just trying to improve upon what already works, as with any software I guess.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It is an open software as with OO and the developers are very responsive to user comments; rather than there being anything wrong, it's just trying to improve upon what already works, as with any software I guess.

Horses for courses.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was recently informed that Microsoft would no long support Windows seven.
You think you gots problems...
I'm still running Windows 98.
I need a DOS kernel environment to run my main operating system,
BOS7, which is an obsolete British system I've had since 1986.
Try getting support for either of those!

pearl

I sympathize with you. I write Fiction, and windows 10 has made keeping track of my files a Hell. After lots of different solutions that did not seem to work, I finally have a USB Solid State Hard Drive where I put anything that I am working on, or have worked on in the last year. I have to be careful that the software does not change where the files I save are going. This I have to watch very carefully.

My daughter works in systems and has always used Apple.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm really liking Linux. I also seem to be seeing less background processes and RAM usage under certain versions of it, over Windows 10.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember that, it was my first computer. Had much fewer problems.
Parenthetical aside...
DOS based operating systems (eg, Win 98) were horribly
inefficient & slow. I was only able to switch BOS from native
mode to a DOS application when computers reached the 486
stage. Then the DOS speed penalty became insignificant.