• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer filesystems: RAID dead. ZFS and BTRFS instead.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If you were once into filesystems and have been out of it for a while watch this video:

Most of us are not cutting edge admins. I think this video introduces very well major developments in filesystems.

Hardware support for parity checking has changed, thus making RAID 5 and 6 ineffectual against 'Bit rot'. In response admins have begun using file systems that are RAID aware and that check for parity. The main one that has been in use now for several years is ZFS. Another is BTRFS.

So when you hear about these: ZFS and BTRFS the reason is that they provide parity checking. ZFS provides the most parity checking, and BTRFS provides some checking and has some additional features.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Interesting video. I've never counted on Raid to protect against data corruption. I use a versioning backup system for that ( dirvish on a linux OS or Syncback on Microsoft ). I use Raid strictly to protect against HW failure.