• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compromising your religion to "keep up with the times"

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
SoyLeche said:
So, you are saying that it is impossible to have more than one all powerful, perfect being - to put it simply - because if not, there is no problem.
No. I'm not saying it's impossible. But having more then one all powerful, perfect being would cause me to pick what ever suits my fancy. I would to tend to gravitate to whatever fits me best.

Aqualung

Tasty
Victor said:
No. I'm not saying it's impossible. But having more then one all powerful, perfect being would cause me to pick what ever suits my fancy. I would to tend to gravitate to whatever fits me best.
But only one of those all powerful beings created us and this world and teaches us and stuff. That's the one that is worthy of our worship.

Quiddity

SoyLeche said:
Interesting to know that I am going to be less of a father than my Dad is because I needed him to get to this point.... my poor son.
You lost me here...:confused:

Quiddity

Aqualung said:
But only one of those all powerful beings created us and this world and teaches us and stuff. That's the one that is worthy of our worship.
How is he all powerful if was dependant upon something else to create him? Dependancy implies imperfection. Imperfection implies ungodlike qualities. What else is he dependent on? Can he die? Can the other gods take him out? What do the other gods have to offer?

~Victor

Aqualung

Tasty
Victor said:
How is he all powerful if was dependant upon something else to create him? Dependancy implies imperfection.

well, continuing with this speculation - he wasn't always perfect. He wasn't always god. Although he was always God, in that as long as we have existed he has been our God and our object of worship, he wans't always god.

Quiddity

Aqualung said:
well, continuing with this speculation - he wasn't always perfect. He wasn't always god. Although he was always God, in that as long as we have existed he has been our God and our object of worship, he wans't always god.
Then what in the world makes him any different from the others? Aside from he created us.

Aqualung

Tasty
his creating us and caring for us is what makes him special. Like what makes your father any more special to you than my father? the fact that he created you and cared for you.

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
You lost me here...:confused:
You said that if there were a being that created God then he would be more deserving of our worship. I'm making the next logical step and saying that my Dad is more deserving of being called my baby's father than I am because I wouldn't be a father without him.

SoyLeche

meh...
Aqualung said:
his creating us and caring for us is what makes him special. Like what makes your father any more special to you than my father? the fact that he created you and cared for you.
I fixed your quote

Quiddity

Aqualung said:
his creating us and caring for us is what makes him special. Like what makes your father any more special than my father? the fact that he created you and cared for you.
And the other gods don't care?

Quiddity

SoyLeche said:
You said that if there were a being that created God then he would be more deserving of our worship. I'm making the next logical step and saying that my Dad is more deserving of being called my baby's father than I am because I wouldn't be a father without him.
Ah I see what you mean now. Although my biological father wouldn't care if I should love to my grandfather or other father figure men for that matter. I wanna meat my grandfather...:149: He cared enough to bring my father to existance. How bad can he be? ;)

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
And the other gods don't care?
They care for their children. God doesn't need their help with us -- he's got it under control. (Coincidentally, they don't need God's help with theirs either).

Be aware - this is all speculation. We really don't know how it works exactly.

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
Ah I see what you mean now. Although my biological father wouldn't care if I should love to my grandfather or other father figure men for that matter. I wanna meat my grandfather...:149: He cared enough to bring my father to existance. How bad can he be? ;)
And yet, he isn't your father. The analogy isn't perfect, but I think it gets to where Aqua and I are coming from.

Quiddity

SoyLeche said:
They care for their children. God doesn't need their help with us -- he's got it under control. (Coincidentally, they don't need God's help with theirs either).

Be aware - this is all speculation. We really don't know how it works exactly.
Fair enough. But keep in mind that this is all foreign to a) early [and most all] christianity b) early [and all] Judaic beliefs. So I think I stand firm in dicrediting such beliefs.

Thanks for the discussion.
~Victor

pdoel

Aqualung said:
Ok. I must ask. What prophet or scripture has taught you that there are many "god-like" beings? Or that only one of these beings created us, and He is the only one worthy of worship?

Everything I've ever been taught has taught me there is but ONE God. God created all things. In the beginning there was God, and only God. He created all things.

Your premise here seems to be exactly the stuff you are ranting about. You don't like that people have changed their views to "keep up with the times". But some people asked some questions about where did God come from, and suddenly the answer is that some other being created Him, and one before him, and before him, and before him.

Isn't this exactly what you are speaking of? Christianity has taught us for thousands of years that there is but one God.

Why are you now changing all of that? What "prophet" taught you this?

Aqualung

Tasty
pdoel said:
Ok. I must ask. What prophet or scripture has taught you that there are many "god-like" beings? Or that only one of these beings created us, and He is the only one worthy of worship?
Paul. There are many gods and many lords, but to us there is one God the FAther, of whom are all things.

pdoel said:
Everything I've ever been taught has taught me there is but ONE God.
There is one God, but other gods as well.

pdoel said:
Isn't this exactly what you are speaking of? Christianity has taught us for thousands of years that there is but one God.
And I do not disagree.

Quiddity

Pdoel, I think they were clear when they said:
SoyLeche said:
We really don't know how it works exactly.
I think they also said it was speculation and was not in scripture.

~Victor

SoyLeche

meh...
pdoel said:

Everything I've ever been taught has taught me there is but ONE God. God created all things. In the beginning there was God, and only God. He created all things.

Your premise here seems to be exactly the stuff you are ranting about. You don't like that people have changed their views to "keep up with the times". But some people asked some questions about where did God come from, and suddenly the answer is that some other being created Him, and one before him, and before him, and before him.

Why are you now changing all of that? What "prophet" taught you this?
What is it about "the times" that Aqua is changing for? I believe that the thread started with something to the effect of Aqua ranting about people changing their religious beliefs according to changes in society. I don't see that this falls into that category. Actually, I only started reading this thread recently. I'm not even sure how it got on this topic.

pdoel

Aqualung said:
Paul. There are many gods and many lords, but to us there is one God the FAther, of whom are all things.

There is one God, but other gods as well.

And I do not disagree.
My name is not Paul.

Deut 6:4 "Hear, O Isreal: The LORD our God is one LORD."

1 Kings 8:60 "That all the people of the Earth know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else."

Isa 44:6 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."

Mark 12:29 "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear O Isreal; The Lord our God is one Lord."

I'd say those are rather clear. Again, what "Prophet" has told you that what God himself told us, is wrong?

Quiddity

pdoel said:
My name is not Paul.

Deut 6:4 "Hear, O Isreal: The LORD our God is one LORD."

1 Kings 8:60 "That all the people of the Earth know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else."

Isa 44:6 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."

Mark 12:29 "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear O Isreal; The Lord our God is one Lord."

I'd say those are rather clear. Again, what "Prophet" has told you that what God himself told us, is wrong?
Sounds clear to me.