• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complex Or Complicated?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and it's TOOLMAKER.. ......TOOLMAKER!!!!!!!!

you squeeling excuse of a .........

no
no excuse
none
it's too complicated

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ooh, 'brain' the adjective...

"I'm painting the kitchen today. My wife wanted a nice bright eggshell, but I've chosen brain instead."
"Brain" is a verb too.
tenor.gif

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I am finding the complex of complications to be overly complicating the complexity

Heyo

Veteran Member
This won't be that much fun, but tis
better here than in that other thread.

As I grok things....
"Complicated" is about a lot of parts doing a lot of things,
but without complicated interactions with other parts.
A typewriter is complicated.

"Complex" is about a lot of parts doing a lot of things
without deterministic relationships with other parts.
Emergent properties arise from complex systems.
A brain is complex.

Argue away, folks.
"Complicated" is about a lot of different pieces interacting in different ways (following multiple rules).
Chess is complicated.

"Complex" is about a lot (and I mean a lot) of pieces interacting according to simple rules.
GO is complex.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This won't be that much fun, but tis
better here than in that other thread.

As I grok things....
"Complicated" is about a lot of parts doing a lot of things,
but without complicated interactions with other parts.
A typewriter is complicated.

"Complex" is about a lot of parts doing a lot of things
without deterministic relationships with other parts.
A brain is complex.

Argue away, folks.

Ok, sure.

Never worried about it much but that is usually how I'd use the words, not 100% though.

Think I risk miscommunicating by using an improper "complex" on occasion?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I asked @Revoltingest this question. He hasn't yet replied. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Please explain how you can tell that a brain exhibits emergent properties and that those "emergent properties" are not simply the effects of causes that we don't yet understand.
"Emergent properties are properties that manifest themselves as the result of various system components working together, not as a property of any individual component.

To put that another way, it is a property that a complex system or collection of system parts has, but which individual parts do not possess." - https://sciencetrends.com/what-are-emergent-properties-definition-and-examples/

With that definition you should see the answer as obvious.
Brains exhibit a property (thinking) that a single part (neuron) doesn't have. And we do understand the causes and effects of complex systems that have emergent properties. (Though not all the different properties of brains, yet.)

Meditate over this Zen koan to receive enlightenment to the topic:

What is the sound of a single hand clapping?

joe1776

"Emergent properties are properties that manifest themselves as the result of various system components working together, not as a property of any individual component.

To put that another way, it is a property that a complex system or collection of system parts has, but which individual parts do not possess." - https://sciencetrends.com/what-are-emergent-properties-definition-and-examples/

With that definition you should see the answer as obvious.
Brains exhibit a property (thinking) that a single part (neuron) doesn't have. And we do understand the causes and effects of complex systems that have emergent properties. (Though not all the different properties of brains, yet.)

Meditate over this Zen koan to receive enlightenment to the topic:

What is the sound of a single hand clapping?
Thanks for replying. I deleted the post you replied to because I hadn't realized that the OP was posted in the Jokes forum.