• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complete written Torah in english

ametist

I dont understand. Have I misread the posts? Didnt paarsurrey give the same link with xkatz? and it is fine that he added his comment? It just means a further study will need further commentary study from other sources to see the differences maybe.

ametist

It's going to be hard to find what you're looking for on the internet. A couple of links have been presented, but most of the translations and commentaries are going to be in print rather than electronic; a good set of commentary often contain several volumes, and reading several different ones is highly recommended.

I have four different Torah translations I use just for my daily study.

Yes, I get the point. :) It is a vast study. I have plenty of time though.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A Stone Edition Tanakh, The Jewish Study Bible, Fox's The Five Books of Moses, and a Hertz Chumash.

I strongly recommend that you add Plaut and Alter. The WRJ Commentary is a great supplement as is the JSB. Finally, if you can afford it the 5 volume JPS Commentary is, in my opinion, indispensable.

outhouse

Atheistically
Good post.

If one wants to follow ignorance.

I would never follow a later apologetic interpretation, that just promotes the orthodox Jewish spin on ancient Israelite books.

Cultural and physical anthropology combined with a varied opinions of different historians place the Torah in a much clearer light.

Way to much bias in the Jewish spin that does not line up accurately with known history.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I dont understand. Have I misread the posts? Didnt paarsurrey give the same link with xkatz? and it is fine that he added his comment? It just means a further study will need further commentary study from other sources to see the differences maybe.

The best thing is to understand by yourself; one should make up one's point of view without a bias from the text and the context; and remove the contradictions if found with other places in the Torah; a little thinking would do that.

Then one could study any other comments and see the differences if any. It is not difficult to discern truth ; truth glitters like anything.

Moses never commanded to ask from the commentators. If the scriptures cannot reveal the truth to a sincere seeker; then what use it is for.

One should not make Torah a dead book of rituals; good for nothing;and begging help of the commentators.

Is Torah an obscure book? I don't think so.

With all the corruption made into Torah by the narrators/scribes/clergy; it can still give light/guidance to the truthful seekers in ethical/moral/spiritual matters; if Torah ever provided light to the Jews in times of Moses.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If one wants to follow ignorance.

I would never follow a later apologetic interpretation, that just promotes the orthodox Jewish spin on ancient Israelite books.

Cultural and physical anthropology combined with a varied opinions of different historians place the Torah in a much clearer light.

Way to much bias in the Jewish spin that does not line up accurately with known history.

History is an infant or a toddler before the Word Revealed on Moses. History is useful as an aid to reason/knowledge but not an end of itself as one thinks. The absolute Truth is in the Word Revealed. History only deals with the past while the truthful Word Revealed deals in the past/present/future and even goes beyond the time and place into the absolute dimension.

Regards

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
History is an infant or a toddler before the Word Revealed on Moses. History is useful as an aid to reason/knowledge but not an end of itself as one thinks. The absolute Truth is in the Word Revealed. History only deals with the past while the truthful Word Revealed deals in the past/present/future and even goes beyond the time and place into the absolute dimension.

Regards

Stop talking about things you are completely ignorant of. :facepalm:

ametist

The best thing is to understand by yourself; one should make up one's point of view without a bias from the text and the context; and remove the contradictions if found with other places in the Torah; a little thinking would do that.

Then one could study any other comments and see the differences if any. It is not difficult to discern truth ; truth glitters like anything.

Moses never commanded to ask from the commentators. If the scriptures cannot reveal the truth to a sincere seeker; then what use it is for.

One should not make Torah a dead book of rituals; good for nothing;and begging help of the commentators.

Is Torah an obscure book? I don't think so.

With all the corruption made into Torah by the narrators/scribes/clergy; it can still give light/guidance to the truthful seekers in ethical/moral/spiritual matters; if Torah ever provided light to the Jews in times of Moses.

Regards

:) Rather empowering and encouraging. Thank you.

outhouse

Atheistically
how about you first stop that facepalming to everypost you read. it is really childish.

So is the ignorance of those who purposely fail to do credible research before posting garbage.

This is supposed to be an educational site.

Not one where people choose to trash others beliefs to proselytize their own mythology.

The world is poorer for having to read his pathetic reply.

outhouse

Atheistically
:) Rather empowering and encouraging. Thank you.

It is rather ignorant.

Moses has no historicity as ever existing, and he factually did not exist as written. There is not one word in the koran that is accurate here. Nor the bible the koran was plagiarized from.

Israelites evolved from displace Canaanites and other Semitic speaking people who factualy used Canaanite mythology, deities, pottery, and alphabet.

No mass exodus ever took place, and Israelites and their culture did not exist prior to 1200 BC and at that time they were only proto Israelites, who had not developed any of the culture as reported in the bible.

roger1440

I do stuff
I have a copy of the Jewish Study Bible in the PDF format that I had downloaded from the Internet last year using a file sharing program. Its contents are pretty much like Christian study Bibles. It has maps, charts, foot notes, cross references, commentary on each book, etc. The Christian study Bibles I use are the New International Version and the New King James Version.
0978019529751_500X500.jpg

ametist

It is rather ignorant.

Moses has no historicity as ever existing, and he factually did not exist as written. There is not one word in the koran that is accurate here. Nor the bible the koran was plagiarized from.

Israelites evolved from displace Canaanites and other Semitic speaking people who factualy used Canaanite mythology, deities, pottery, and alphabet.

No mass exodus ever took place, and Israelites and their culture did not exist prior to 1200 BC and at that time they were only proto Israelites, who had not developed any of the culture as reported in the bible.

Now, you are making your point. Perhaps we can get to somewhere from here on.
There is a prophet whose existence is mentioned in muslim and non muslim sources in history closer to his time. his name is muhammed and he, altough he wasnt gonna go along the judaist teachings, confirmed that there was a valued prophet named moses who was given a divine book.. I find it slightly weird he did that because he could have just said there is no such prophet as moses or a book that is given to him by god. So, I take this as the confirmation that moses existed. Also, it is a bit difficult to imagine whole group of people first imagining a person and then imagining a religion and then writing a book which bring lots of obligations etc. Life could have been fun without that a lot of things to do and not to do.
Anyway, If I am permitted, I would like to gather as much opinion and sources as possible and get on with my search.

it is difficult to get to direct evidence of existence of moses as a person because many libraries are destructed in time and many written documents in those big and small libraries got lost. But I think because of the above reasons he existed.

outhouse

Atheistically
There is a prophet whose existence is mentioned in muslim and non muslim sources in history closer to his time. his name is muhammed and he, altough he wasnt gonna go along the judaist teachings, confirmed that there was a valued prophet named moses who was given a divine book.. I find it slightly weird he did that because he could have just said there is no such prophet as moses or a book that is given to him by god.

He plagiarized the bible.

His only sources was the bible and oral history from the bible.

The fact he used previous mythology shows no divine inspiration at all.

take this as the confirmation that moses existed

:biglaugh:

Nice! what great methodology, some guy who is plagairizing pervious mythology almost 2000 years in the past has historical credibiliy :facepalm:

Please dude, that is embarrassing.

it is difficult to get to direct evidence of existence of moses as a person because many libraries are destructed in time and many written documents in those big and small libraries got lost. But I think because of the above reasons he existed

We have direct evidence, we have factual evidence of their Canaanite heritage.

Maybe you dont understand the meaning of "factual" or plagairized.