• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compatibility of Major Abrahamic Religions?

Raban

Hagian
For quite a while, me and some of my fellow friends, or as we like to call ourselves, aspiring Theologians, have had the idea that Islam, Christianity, and parts of Gnostic religion are compatible. We also have speculated that if done correctly, and probably with the teachings and philosophies of the far East included (Such as the whole, or parts of texts and ideas I.E. the Tao Teh Ching) a true church, or more true church could be created. Though the Qur'an often states that Christ was not the son of God, and has other things to say about Christianity, some of which isn't pleasant, we believe that certain ideals held by Islam, are lacked in the Christianity, and vice versa. We also believe that some forms of Gnostic Theology, (notably, the relationship, and knowledge of God without heavily relying on the church) would also be a huge part in this hypothetical religion. Now whether or not it is possible to create it is not a topic of concern, but whether other people would be interested in it is something we are very interested in. Your thoughts on whether they A. are possibly compatible B. Whether it is an insane idea, as the multitude of beliefs have spent to long in conflict to truly work together. C. Whether or not if refined more, knowledgeable religious people could conceivably follow such beliefs. Your thoughts?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Being Abrahamic religions, they share similarities, however, they also are in some ways very different from each other. I know that when debating on the forums I'm often astounded at the basic differences between my beliefs and those of Muslims, Christians, and Jews. There are some basic differences that don't "meet" in the middle, is my opinion. Creating a new syncretic version such as what you're proposing would have to resolve those issues, with all the problems involved, examples being, which form of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are you going to use to "represent" the respective religions? I for one would not want my beliefs represented by any of the mainstream groups, as I disagree with some important tenets/beliefs.
So, like any other new religion, it would only be suitable to people who either already share those views, or people converting from some other religion entirely, with no Abrahamic religious biases.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For quite a while, me and some of my fellow friends, or as we like to call ourselves, aspiring Theologians, have had the idea that Islam, Christianity, and parts of Gnostic religion are compatible. ... Your thoughts?

I think the idea is shallow and amateurish: Christianity is founded upon the divinity of Christ while Islam rejects the divinity of Jesus, but surely we can pick and choose areas of 'compatibility' and whip up a "more true church." Good grief ... :facepalm:

(But thanks for leaving Judaism alone.)

Renji

Compatibility of the Major Abrahamic Religions... I think the answer is this: "?".

I don't think they are or will be compatible enough, especially Catholicism and Gnosticism (which regards them as heretics). But in case of similarities, maybe there are some similarities.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think people who have the luxury to browse around, and pick-and-choose religion, don't really need or understand religion in the first place.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Feel free to correct me on this, but doesn't the Baha'i faith serve to reconcile the various Abrahamic traditions? In other words, hasn't this already been done?

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
The overall intent makes sense: Wisdom is not singly-sourced; and more importantly, wisdom that is embraced by otherwise conflicting religious perspectives, originating independently all over the world, is likely to be wisdom indeed; but building up a mythology around a number of other mythologies, without recognizing it all as mythology, doesn't do much to "reconcile" anything. Furthermore, "wisdom" that is not embraced by practically all religious perspectives needs to be recognized as preference, not wisdom, in order for reconciliation to be effective and legitimate.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The overall intent makes sense: Wisdom is not singly-sourced; and more importantly, wisdom that is embraced by otherwise conflicting religious perspectives, originating independently all over the world, is likely to be wisdom indeed; but building up a mythology around a number of other mythologies, without recognizing it all as mythology, doesn't do much to "reconcile" anything. Furthermore, "wisdom" that is not embraced by practically all religious perspectives needs to be recognized as preference, not wisdom, in order for reconciliation to be effective and legitimate.

That was sweet.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
For quite a while, me and some of my fellow friends, or as we like to call ourselves, aspiring Theologians, have had the idea that Islam, Christianity, and parts of Gnostic religion are compatible. We also have speculated that if done correctly, and probably with the teachings and philosophies of the far East included (Such as the whole, or parts of texts and ideas I.E. the Tao Teh Ching) a true church, or more true church could be created. Though the Qur'an often states that Christ was not the son of God, and has other things to say about Christianity, some of which isn't pleasant, we believe that certain ideals held by Islam, are lacked in the Christianity, and vice versa. We also believe that some forms of Gnostic Theology, (notably, the relationship, and knowledge of God without heavily relying on the church) would also be a huge part in this hypothetical religion. Now whether or not it is possible to create it is not a topic of concern, but whether other people would be interested in it is something we are very interested in. Your thoughts on whether they A. are possibly compatible B. Whether it is an insane idea, as the multitude of beliefs have spent to long in conflict to truly work together. C. Whether or not if refined more, knowledgeable religious people could conceivably follow such beliefs. Your thoughts?
Define true here. Truth is subjective, not objective. When I reflect upon my own religious conviction, I feel that they are true. I also feel that the church I attend is a true church. Now, there are many who would disagree and instead argue that they have the true church, and in fact, they do. The reason being that truth is subjective. What maybe true for one person may not be true for another.

Now, as an observer, one can see various aspects of different religions that appear to be incorrect and simply wrong. And in fact, they probably are. However, for the insider, those ideas are still true. So I think you're going about something that really is impossible as we are talking about something that is subjective. At best, you could make something that is more true for yourself.

In order to get the religions to be completely compatible though would mean that you would have to ignore the server incompatibility that often exists, and in effect, do a disgrace to each religion. Instead of making something that is compatible, you really would be stripping the religions of what make them distinct. Really, in the end, you would end up having to ignore much of what the religions teach, and instead, shove your own ideas into them, basically creating entirely new religions in the process.

There is no problem taking ideas from other religions and applying those ideas to one's own faith, but that is very different then trying to force different religions to be compatible with each other. I take Asian Philosophy very seriously, and do borrow from it. However, I also understand that Taoism is not Christianity. Even though I can find similarities, to play up those similarities too much is doing an injustice to the religion, and in the end, masks what the religion is actually teaching.