• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compassionate Parvati

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah OK - I guess I think of Hindus from Fiji, Malaysia and Mauritius to just be from there, with their origins a while before being rather cloudy. Perhaps a century from now this process will have happened with diaspora populations in the West, Africa etc also.

Regardless, devotion for Mother continues among Her children, to bring us back to the OP a little.

I posted some lines from Shankara in Starry's thread over in the Vedanta DIR - those were written for Mother in her aspect as Lalita Tripura-Sundari.

That's sort of sore spot for many Fijian born Indians actually. But that's a whole other story lol.

Oh nice. Might check em out. :)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Andhra or Tamilnadu. That perhaps should not be difficult to find.
:shrug:
I don't think even my Ma knows. Maybe one uncle might but it's not a discussed thing in my family. I assume there was a tragedy somewhere or they're just not talkative I dunno.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Or perhaps they really don't know. Leave it then. Words used in talking can indicate origin. You must have read about the African-American who found his roots just because of one word for violin he remembered his grandfather used (Roots). We have left Kashmir for 150 years but use many Kashmiri words in conversation (but then we are not totally cut off from our people). I agree, all this is academic, it can hardly lead you to the place of your ancestors.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, thanks for the heads up. I can remember not to prod it!

Is that side of your family's language Fiji Hindi?
Yes Fiji Hindi. All fluent in English too. It's actually kind of freaky since no Fijian seems to have an accent when they speak English.

Kirran

Premium Member
Yes Fiji Hindi. All fluent in English too. It's actually kind of freaky since no Fijian seems to have an accent when they speak English.

:O What do you mean? Australian accents?

Or literally just totally neutral accents?

Southern British people might say I have no accent. But northerners, Americans and Kiwis would likely disagree.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
:O What do you mean? Australian accents?

Or literally just totally neutral accents?

Southern British people might say I have no accent. But northerners, Americans and Kiwis would likely disagree.

Just a neutral accent.