• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compassion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Life is suffering in one way or the other yes, but when live in the moment life is not suffering.
But death is a part of life too when it happens in a natural way, but not when it is forced by one self or others, then it is not compassion anymore

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In Buddhism Compassion for every living being is one of the great teaching. How do you view compassion in your life toward other living beings?

Personally if see a wasp or an ant in my house, i carry them outside and let them fly or crawl away.
I live in a rural area and have a deal with any bugs I find in the house. It is assumed that they want to move on to their next incarnation and I simply invoke my Shiva aspect and deal with the little buggers accordingly. I often will add, "Say hello to Allah!" as they get taken out. What could be more compassionate?

That rule does not apply outside the house because that is THEIR house and I am the interloper. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Life is suffering in one way or the other yes, but when live in the moment life is not suffering.
The only thing suffering should teach the individual is that they need not suffer.
But death is a part of life too when it happens in a natural way, but not when it is forced by one self or others, then it is not compassion anymore
Even then, it can still be the result of compassion (or perhaps a warped sense of compassion).

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Can you not carry them out instead of "taking the out" ?
The bugs does not harm me so i have no reason to harm them
Of course I could. With an animal or bird, I would capture and release outside. With an insect, not so much. It's not worth my time or effort. I already have enough compassion and peace of mind to satiate a small village, so I have a clear conscience.

I ran over a racoon the other day by accident. First time ever. I really did not want it to happen. But, it was impossible for it not to happen the way it played out. He darts out in front of the truck, i cant swerve away, then thump, thump.

And all i could say was, that was a waste.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I ran over a racoon the other day by accident. First time ever. I really did not want it to happen. But, it was impossible for it not to happen the way it played out. He darts out in front of the truck, i cant swerve away, then thump, thump.

Or maybe the creature was not well and used you as an opportunity.

Or maybe the creature was not well and used you as an opportunity.

I gauss its possible. Mayby he committed suicide. But, i gotta hunch he really wanted to cross the street alive. I wish he would have been as smart as a human would have been and looked before crossing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

You did not kill it on purpose and you show compassion toward it after it passed away, it means you still have compassion :)

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
tami, you are always in my heart

tibetian.jpg

we had 2, now only 1... litter mates... 17 years old...

"cosmo" is still strong happy and not in pain B"H

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
question? is it compassionate?

in June, this year, Cosmo was mis-diagnosed with a seizure disorder. The ER Vet was strongly encouraging euthanizing him. The ER Vet gave him 2 weeks...

The diagnosis didn't fit, we ignored it. Stopped the seizure meds, and he has never had a seizure. I am with him virtually 24/7.

Cosmo's only problem? he can't walk, some sort of neurological disorder causing muscle wasting in his back 2 legs. When he sleeps his back legs twitch. And he is a deep sleeper... he "blips" while he is dreaming, it is so cute. When we were on vacation, the doggie hotel didn't communicate this to the night staff. they misinterpreted his sleeping behaviors as a seizure because of his age. And this is why the Vet made the grossly inaccurate prognosis.

I made Cosmo a "marionette" harness from dowel rods, bicycle handlebar tape, tent cordage, and 2 harnesses from petco. And now he gets out and walks many times a day. He is happy. And Strong. A good eater. Beloved by my wife and kids. He has a fan club of kids, neighbors, and the neighborhood dogs. He is actually getting stronger, and can "bunny hop" around on carpet, but wood floors.... no bueno...

Cosmo is a Tibetian Spaniel, bred here in america, the pedigree has a long life span. 20 years is not uncommon.

My mother-in-law and a few of my friends ( "farmers" ) are visibly uncomfortable around Cosmo. Each of them has had multiple dogs, each of them have had to make hard compassionate end of life choices for their pets. They tell me, they can see it in Cosmo's eyes. He is sad. He can't walk, or run, or get to the food, or water on his own. They say, "He can't be a dog."

I see what they see. I think. But I see more than that. These are very low-energy dogs by breed. "Bed Warmers" "Comfort Hounds". And they sleep 16-18 hours day normally.

But he can't walk on his own, and i imagine for a dog, this is a very troubling situation psychologically.

But i can't let go, and he seems to be getting better **in spite of it all**.

My current approach, and i think it's good: watch for pain and fear and any signs of increasing health problems.

status quo or improvement = keep on going
as long as he stays strong and happy, i will continue the 24/7 care.

but this thread makes me curious, on an intellectual / spiritual perspective:

is it cruel or compassionate?

go ahead be blunt. you won't change my mind. i'm just curious.

with much love and great respect,

-DF-

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my view you doing the right thing :) And yes it is compassion because you giving all you have to make your dog feel better, you wanting your dog to be able to get around. That is compassion.

But had you said , i can not aford medicine and you put your dog down (ending its life) then that would not be compassion.

Yes i said earlier that suffering is a part of life, but wanting someone to not feel pain or lose of home is also compassion. :)

Hope my answer gave you an answer :)

You did not kill it on purpose and you show compassion toward it after it passed away, it means you still have compassion :)

Heres a bit of a conflict going on in me. An issue aside from the racoon.

Its when i debate with some folks on different beliefs. As soon as they start there ad hominum attacks and even outright lies on there own part, i feel alot of anger. So, ill attack back. But sometimes i wont attack back, ill channel my anger and press them hard to be accountable.

However, theres yet still other times i feel this overwhelming compassion for them because i see a clear insecurity and it displays itself under a mask.

I say its conflicted in me because sometimes i feel anger and want them to be accountable, then other times i feel compassion.

Why is this conflict there? Is it because those times i want them to be accountable is due to my own doubts/insecurities? If it is, i certainly do not manifest my insecurities under a mask, i choose courage to seek answers for my doubts.

But, what could be the cause of the conflict? Mayby also the anger toward them is my compassion for the world (not wanting the world to be confused by deception).

Your thoughts?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Can it be that the anger is actually toward you self for not being able to forgive them in the moment? or that when someone do you wrong you feel anger because you feel it is not fair they pick on you?

The reason example buddhists try not to get angry and try to feel compassion in every situation is because we do not always know if the "attack or trouble" comes from earlier in life or even past lives. So why should be get angry if what actually happening was our own karm from earlier times when we was the attacker or person who was harming/talking bad about others.