• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comparitive religion: WuWei ( not the bear )

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Hello Friends, I'm putting this in the announcements sub-forum because it is an RFC ( request for comment )

Background:

I'm considering taking a detour off the current path I am on which is essentially ultra-orthodox Judaism. It's concepts, especially in the book of psalms, are, believe it or not, too lofty for me. Or my brain takes them to lofty places in error... ( tomato / tomahto )

Either way, practicing Abrahamic religions for me, at this point in my life... ( and per Drs orders ) is too agitating for me. Depending on the subject matter, it makes me very anxious, leading to insomnia, and other racing thoughts.

Previously ( some of you may remember ) when this happened last I was exploring Yoga as an alternative. That wasn't a good fit for me for several reasons.

Then I found daoism. Old school daoism. And it is sublime, in my personal opinion. Specifically the idea of WuWei ( not the bear ). So much and so little in one word. Well. It's very peaceful compared to what I'm used to practicing.

Further Background:

What I love about WuWei as a concept is that it treats the concept of infinity without *interfering* with infinity. It is, by definition, a grounded practice. As a comparison, when I am practicing Judaism, I'm standing at attention, swaying, trembling, occasionally bowing, and sweating like you wouldn't believe. The melodies are heart-breaking, but also... they trigger me. So, I've decided to take a break from it.

As I mentioned earlier, and also on my status updates on my profile page. I am, sorry to report, I am struggling. But I am going to be OK, I have a brand new set of meds, It's a friggin pandemic, no problems getting rest, and I'm going to put down Jewish practice for a while, and cultivate WuWei ... ( not the bear ).

I'll still identify as Jewish:

I will still be maintaining my religious label as Judaism. * Not Old-school * I'll stop pretending to be a DJ... Just regular old Judaism which involves, believe it or not, making jokes and talking about food.

However I will be adding myself to the Daoist-Dir ( Non-revealed if you're looking for it ) as part of my 3 choices. If there are any other daoists out there besides WuWei ( yes, the bear ) it would be great to see you over there. I will try my best not to sound like Yoda, I promise. :D

I would be remiss not to recognize @Jayhawker Soule who turned me on to the whole daoist thing here. It's a long story, but basically, there's a very cool thing happening in Reform, Renewal, Reconstruction, and Conservative movements where Judaism is being presented in a totally new manner. As *drumroll*
...... a way of life.

Doesn't seem too innovative from the outside, however, It's a very Daoist approach to Judaism.

• Gender neutral? of-course.
  • Halacha? whats that?
  • Tribal? heck-no.
  • Nit-picky? never.
  • Personal freedom? Darn-skippy.
It's a completely *peaceful* approach to an old ( forgive me ) barbaric practice. I think this is going to be really-really healthy for me.

And now for the ask:

I would like to start going thru the DaoDeJing one chapter at a time and talking about what it means with any interested RF'er via discussion ( not debate ).

Please reply to this post if you are interested.

One of my favorite chapters if i recall is chapter 64, I think. It describes the idea of WuWei in it's most sublime perfection. Action-Non-Action. Complete Peace. No competition at all; Compassion for all sentient beings; freedom of the highest order; and it is formed in such beauty and grace.

It carries me away in a manner that is unlike anything I experienced in my Jewish practice.

So I though we could start there. o_O:D

Possible areas of discussion:

• Translation ( this is big topic for daoists, I can bring multiple translations to each thread )
  • Meaning ( obviously )
  • Personal Meaning ( if the verses touch someone personally, it might be nice to share that )
  • Pictograph analysis ( I have always wanted to analyze traditional Chinese language )
  • whatever else comes up :)
I intend to post the threads in the interfaith/sacred texts sub-forum unless there is an objection.

I'd like there to be at least 2 other interested parties in order to move forward.

Is anyone interested in giving it a shot for maybe 1 chapter ( 64 ) to see how it goes?

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'd love to meet you at the Taoist DIR, but I'm already at 3 DIR's (Buddhist, LHP, and Mysticism.) Maybe I'll drop the LHP DIR to chat over there.

If you want to discuss Zhuangzi as well, I'm game. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would be remiss not to recognize @Jayhawker Soule who turned me on to the whole daoist thing here. It's a long story, but basically, there's a very cool thing happening in Reform, Renewal, Reconstruction, and Conservative movements where Judaism is being presented in a totally new manner. As *drumroll*
...... a way of life.

That is very kind, although you give me far too much credit.

As for wu-wei, I'm afraid that concept would be difficult for me since I value intention. In fact, I would argue that the modern concept of tikkun olam mandates progressive intentionality. Perhaps you'll be able to work out a synthesis.

I wish you luck. More than that, I wish you shalom.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Then I found daoism. Old school daoism. And it is sublime, in my personal opinion. Specifically the idea of WuWei ( not the bear ). So much and so little in one word. Well. It's very peaceful compared to what I'm used to practicing.

Further Background:

What I love about WuWei as a concept is that it treats the concept of infinity without *interfering* with infinity. It is, by definition, a grounded practice. As a comparison, when I am practicing Judaism, I'm standing at attention, swaying, trembling, occasionally bowing, and sweating like you wouldn't believe. The melodies are heart-breaking, but also... they trigger me. So, I've decided to take a break from it.

As I mentioned earlier, and also on my status updates on my profile page. I am, sorry to report, I am struggling. But I am going to be OK, I have a brand new set of meds, It's a friggin pandemic, no problems getting rest, and I'm going to put down Jewish practice for a while, and cultivate WuWei ... ( not the bear ).

I'll still identify as Jewish:

I will still be maintaining my religious label as Judaism. * Not Old-school * I'll stop pretending to be a DJ... Just regular old Judaism which involves, believe it or not, making jokes and talking about food.

However I will be adding myself to the Daoist-Dir ( Non-revealed if you're looking for it ) as part of my 3 choices. If there are any other daoists out there besides WuWei ( yes, the bear ) it would be great to see you over there. I will try my best not to sound like Yoda, I promise. :D

...... a way of life.

Doesn't seem too innovative from the outside, however, It's a very Daoist approach to Judaism.

• Gender neutral? of-course.
  • Halacha? whats that?
  • Tribal? heck-no.
  • Nit-picky? never.
  • Personal freedom? Darn-skippy.
It's a completely *peaceful* approach to an old ( forgive me ) barbaric practice. I think this is going to be really-really healthy for me.

the bear is more Taoist/Deist than anything else, and for that matter leans much more towards Taoism. Also had a little bit of a hard time coming to grips with that, based on heritage and family history.

Wu wei (無爲; wú wéi) translates as "inaction", and everything comes from Wu Wei

And now for the ask:

I would like to start going thru the DaoDeJing one chapter at a time and talking about what it means with any interested RF'er via discussion ( not debate ).

Please reply to this post if you are interested.

You may also want to take a look at the Chuang Tzu

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
... for that matter leans much more towards Taoism ...
Does this mean if I start a thread you would consider participating?

Do you have an objection to the thread being in Interfaith discussion?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
A Note for somewhat interested parties:

I vow to try to speak *briefly* in all my posts in the proposed thread; but *also* not like Yoda?

Does that make it sound more inviting to folks?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Does this mean if I start a thread you would consider participating?

Do you have an objection to the thread being in Interfaith discussion?

if I see a reason to participate I will, unless you prefer I don't. As for interfaith, makes no difference to me

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Samantha Rinne ,

Would you consider adding your input to a DaoDeJing thread? I'm thinking of starting at Chapter 64, but, you can pick the chapter if you have a favorite.

Either way, I hope you're well.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
if I see a reason to participate I will, unless you prefer I don't. As for interfaith, makes no difference to me
I prefer you do, to be honest, if for nothing more than a little comedy if the thread gets too serious.

But aside from that, I thank you for your participation if you choose to contribute in any manner.