• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comparing Buddhism, Daoism, Yoga and Brahmanism

PureX

Veteran Member
The "root" is Taoism. A very old eastern philosophy based on an idea that relates humanity to the world in such a way as to create a kind of profound conundrum; that is then resolved by what is often referred to as "inaction".

Morphius

The "root" is Taoism. A very old eastern philosophy based on an idea that relates humanity to the world in such a way as to create a kind of profound conundrum; that is then resolved by what is often referred to as "inaction".
Pure X could u explain more please.

rocala

A nice question Morpheus, thank you. I have only skimmed the document but I see things that I like. The common root idea does tie in with my own viewpoint.

PureX

Veteran Member
Pure X could u explain more please.
Man exists sort of suspended between two realms of being; the physical realm, and the metaphysical realm. We might label these the material realm and the divine realm. The divine realm being the realm of meaning and purpose, and the physical realm being the expression of that meaning and purpose.

But in such a halfway state, man is not fully aware or either, even though we are partially aware of both. So we do not know our purpose, and we therefor do not know 'how to be'.

To resolve this conundrum, Taoism asserts that we can fulfill our purpose, nevertheless, by aligning ourselves with the 'flow of being', or the 'way existence exists'. The word Tao refers to this way, or flow. That through the practice of honesty, humility, and spontaneity, we can fulfill the nature of our own being. And therefor the purpose of our being (without having to know it).

"Inaction" is a term used to refer to that alignment with the flow of 'what is', as opposed to our constantly trying to bend or alter or stem that flow to gain our own determined state of being.

Morphius

Man exists sort of suspended between two realms of being; the physical realm, and the metaphysical realm. We might label these the material realm and the divine realm. The divine realm being the realm of meaning and purpose, and the physical realm being the expression of that meaning and purpose.

But in such a halfway state, man is not fully aware or either, even though we are partially aware of both. So we do not know our purpose, and we therefor do not know 'how to be'.

To resolve this conundrum, Taoism asserts that we can fulfill our purpose, nevertheless, by aligning ourselves with the 'flow of being', or the 'way existence exists'. The word Tao refers to this way, or flow. That through the practice of honesty, humility, and spontaneity, we can fulfill the nature of our own being. And therefor the purpose of our being (without having to know it).

"Inaction" is a term used to refer to that alignment with the flow of 'what is', as opposed to our constantly trying to bend or alter or stem that flow to gain our own determined state of being.
Thanks!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Wu wei

Vitality

He really dosent address in detail what non action is supposed to be.

Haven’t read this in its entirety due to time constraints. However, a quick skim revealed the goal is not to define non-action, but instead offer a comparison of what non-action entails for each discipline along with the origins of such practices. Seems pretty on-point from what I did read thus far. What I find interesting about the different schools of thought is the different intentions behind non-action; a subject of ongoing discourse among friends of mine.