• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comparative Religion Overload?

DanielR

omg, I think I've read thousand of pages of philosophical texts and sacred texts over the past years. Sometimes I didn't understand a concept in Advaita then I went over to Buddhism, still not satisfied I've found answers in Sufism, Christian Mysticism, Kabbalah, etc. then back to Advaita and so on... I was always cruising around Nonduality though!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
*puts on clown make up* Why so serious?
You know Indians? Nothing as important as religion and religious discussions. Have been doing that for many millenniums. ;)
I was always cruising around Nonduality though!
Then, why dither? Accept and be free of all doubts. :)
What stops you? I think, it could be abandoning the idea of God. That was my last hurdle too. "I have been worshiping the Gods for so many years, do I jettison them now?"

Last edited:

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
I'm back where I was again before the overload.
Following a synchronicity, I got a new job - which has given me lots of time away from reading and studying, conversely it has gotten my mind on things that don't matter to me which makes it easier to re-evaluate the things outlined in my OP.

I'm definitely still a Hermeticist/Thelemite with a strong Hindu(ism) connection. I've realized that I've been incorrectly calling myself a "Pantheist" when I'm actually a "Panentheist"; I believe God is a force within all matter in the universe but isn't the universe itself, particularly, God manifests in many avatars/forms (such as the Thelemic/Egyptian and Hindu Gods) which are all collectively "God". I also believe in the existence of non-God entities, to an extent but strongly disagree with spiritualist (+ New Age) beliefs on the subject.

I've realized that part of my overload, is that I've been largely favoring reading (of religious, philosophical and scientific texts) over other forms of media and art - like music and movies etc. - so one side of the weight scale (existential) has been out-pressured to the other (art); and afterall, they both compliment each other.