• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common themes across faiths

ManSinha

I am not of the Abrahamic faith but have been exposed to both Christianity (missionary school) and Islam (diverse multi cultural city) since childhood - and I think that I know some of the dharmic mythologies as well - there come points of intersection

The Noah's ark story is one
The return of the Anointed One - in the first seal of the Book of Revelation is another

When I see similarities in legends and stories that are separated by centuries of time and geographies without the existence of social media - I question whether there was some common incident that inspired or drove some of this

Most people on this forum are familiar with the Noah's ark story

Well - please meet the tale of Matsya - the Fish - please take a second to read - it is just one page or slightly less

I would very much appreciate any comments / first thoughts

And before someone goes claiming copyright - I do believe - and am open to being corrected - that the Rigveda precedes the OT

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not of the Abrahamic faith but have been exposed to both Christianity (missionary school) and Islam (diverse multi cultural city) since childhood - and I think that I know some of the dharmic mythologies as well - there come points of intersection

The return of the Anointed One - in the first seal of the Book of Revelation is another

When I see similarities in legends and stories that are separated by centuries of time and geographies without the existence of social media - I question whether there was some common incident that inspired or drove some of this

Well - please meet the tale of Matsya - the Fish - please take a second to read - it is just one page or slightly less

And before someone goes claiming copyright - I do believe - and am open to being corrected - that the Rigveda precedes the OT

I'm very much a universalist and see common motifs and themes across faiths, the great delugee being one of them.

Carl Jung one the influential pioneers of the field of psychology argued had a theory about the collective unconscious.

He refers to structures of the unconscious mind which are shared among beings of the same species. According to Jung, the human collective unconscious is populated by instincts and by archetypes: universal symbols such as The Great Mother, the Wise Old Man, the Shadow, the Tower, Water, the Tree of Life, and many more.

Jung considered the collective unconscious to underpin and surround the unconscious mind, distinguishing it from the personal unconscious of Freudian psychoanalysis. He argued that the collective unconscious had profound influence on the lives of individuals, who lived out its symbols and clothed them in meaning through their experiences. The psychotherapeutic practice of analytical psychology revolves around examining the patient's relationship to the collective unconscious.

Collective unconscious - Wikipedia

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I find Noah's story of a few flood survivors is just part of many flood legends.
Even the Egyptian Book of the Dead has destruction by water, a divine cause, a warning given,humans saved in a vessel.
Australia has Kurnai, Alaska has Tlingit and Kolushes, Babylon's Berossus' account besides Gilgamesh epic, Bolivia has Chiriguano, Canada has Cree, China has Lolo, East Africa has Masai; Figi has Walavu-levu tradition, Greece has Llucian's account, Iceland has Eddas, India has Bhil and Kamar ban Andaman Islands, Iran has Zend-Avesta, Italy has Ovid's poetry, Mexico has Huichol and Codex Chimalopopoca, Peru ahs Indians of Huarochiri, Russia has Vogal, Vietnam has Bahnar just to mention a few legends.
No flood would mean No legends, and there are many similar to the Noah account of a few survivors.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Carl Jung..................
He refers to structures of the unconscious mind which are shared among beings of the same species. According to Jung, the human collective unconscious is populated by instincts and by archetypes: universal symbols such as The Great Mother, the Wise Old Man, the Shadow, the Tower, Water, the Tree of Life, and many more.
...and I find the Bible's ' Tree if Life ' is found in the Genesis account about the Garden of Eden.
Once Adam and Eve broke God's Law they lost access to the 'Tree of Life '.
In Revelation, under Christ's 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth takes place according to Revelation 22:2 mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' Tree of Life ' on Earth again for the 'healing' of earth's nations.
This return of the ' Tree of Life ' is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and bring those healing benefits to earth's nations as also described in Isaiah 35th chapter.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I'm in a bit of a hurry and am not of the Sikh faith, but I've been to a fair number of Sikh events over the years and I have much respect for the faith.

Anyhow, I gotta go for now but will get back to the above later today when I have more time.