• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common sense

King Phenomenon

I believe that the idea that abortions being legal made them safer is a common misconception.

Fatality rates of "back-alley" abortions dramatically dropped after the introduction of antibiotics in the 1940's and continued to improve.

The term "back-alley" abortion is even misleading since by as early as 1955 - 90% of all illegal abortions were performed by trained physicians.

AJPH.50.7.948 (aphapublications.org)

In 1972 - the year before Roe v. Wade was passed - there were only 63 abortion related fatalities - and 38% of those deaths were the result of legal abortions.

Abortion Surveillance -- United States, 1992 (cdc.gov)

Basically - it was not Roe v. Wade that made abortions safer - but the development of better medicine.
38% too many.
Got any numbers for undocumented?
Numbers for other medical related issues besides death?
And if u think back alleys are good then y not main alleys?
And something tells me your numbers are off anyway. I’ll let somebody with a little more knowledge speak to that though

Fallen Prophet

38% too many.
Got any numbers for undocumented?
Numbers for other medical related issues besides death?
And if u think back alleys are good then y not main alleys?
And something tells me your numbers are off anyway. I’ll let somebody with a little more knowledge speak to that though
First off - they aren't my numbers - I supplied the sources.

Second - I did not say that abortions should be made illegal - only that making them legal did not make them any safer.

It was the advancement of medicine and technology that made them safer.

I'm not going to give credit to where it is not due.

The government did not make abortions safer.

The idea that making abortions legal would save women's lives is a lie. Misinformation fed to the masses by people with a political agenda.

King Phenomenon

First off - they aren't my numbers - I supplied the sources.

Second - I did not say that abortions should be made illegal - only that making them legal did not make them any safer.

It was the advancement of medicine and technology that made them safer.

I'm not going to give credit to where it is not due.

The government did not make abortions safer.

The idea that making abortions legal would save women's lives is a lie. Misinformation fed to the masses by people with a political agenda.
I guess the only way we would really know if it’s better for us would be to make them illegal everywhere not by looking at some numbers from 50 yrs ago. That’ll probably never happen in the United States so I guess we’ll never know. Got a sneaky suspicion that It wouldn’t be good though even with all the advancements in medicine and technology. So I’m guessing that these doctors who are risking their freedom would charge alot. what about poor women? This conversation is stupid

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
And only religious people have ever acted in ignorance?
WTF does any one else have to do with the specific people in question?
Answer: absolutely nothing.

Care to try again?
Or is "well other people do it to" the best you got?
Cause if "well other people do it to" is all you got, you got nothing.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I believe that the idea that abortions being legal made them safer is a common misconception.

Fatality rates of "back-alley" abortions dramatically dropped after the introduction of antibiotics in the 1940's and continued to improve.

The term "back-alley" abortion is even misleading since by as early as 1955 - 90% of all illegal abortions were performed by trained physicians.

AJPH.50.7.948 (aphapublications.org)

In 1972 - the year before Roe v. Wade was passed - there were only 63 abortion related fatalities - and 38% of those deaths were the result of legal abortions.

Abortion Surveillance -- United States, 1992 (cdc.gov)

Basically - it was not Roe v. Wade that made abortions safer - but the development of better medicine.
Except you do not have accurate numbers before Roe vs. Wade.
No one has.

so basically this above quoted post is nothing more than wishful thinking.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You're right - but if the actions of the members of a religion are in direct violation of the expressed principles of said religion - then you cannot blame the religion for those actions - but only the individuals.

I can blame the religion for its teaching.

Fallen Prophet

I guess the only way we would really know if it’s better for us would be to make them illegal everywhere not by looking at some numbers from 50 yrs ago. That’ll probably never happen in the United States so I guess we’ll never know. Got a sneaky suspicion that It wouldn’t be good though even with all the advancements in medicine and technology. So I’m guessing that these doctors who are risking their freedom would charge alot. what about poor women? This conversation is stupid
The government likes to take credit for things they had nothing to do with.

They do that so people will come to trust and rely on it without question.

The numbers don't add up. Only 63 abortion related deaths the year before Roe v. Wade - and that number continues to go down because of advances in medicine - not government overreach.

Fallen Prophet

WTF does any one else have to do with the specific people in question?
Answer: absolutely nothing.

Care to try again?
Or is "well other people do it to" the best you got?
Cause if "well other people do it to" is all you got, you got nothing.
I was only saying that a religion cannot be blamed for the actions of those who act against the doctrines and teachings of said religion.

That would be like blaming the government of a country for those citizens who decide to break their laws.

Blame the individuals - not their religions.

Fallen Prophet

Except you do not have accurate numbers before Roe vs. Wade.
No one has.

so basically this above quoted post is nothing more than wishful thinking.
I supplied a source from the CDC. Only 63 abortion related deaths in 1972 - the year before Roe v. Wade.

I don't understand why anyone would oppose the idea.

I'd rather put my faith in science and medicine than the government.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Of course. That makes sense.

Yet - in regards to this topic - the actions of these people do not scan with the teachings of Christianity.

And neither do abortions.

Have you actually read the bible? Particularly the 85% of it that is the OT...

Abortion is a straw man on this thread but i will comment on a post you made to @Good Boy

- I did not say that abortions should be made illegal - only that making them legal did not make them any safer

So you are saying the outlawing of back street kitchen tables and rusty knitting needles to replace it with hygienic operating rooms and clean equipment did not make abortion any safer.?

Fallen Prophet

Have you actually read the bible? Particularly the 85% of it that is the OT...
Yes - I have read the Bible.
Abortion is a straw man on this thread...
Isn't abortion the main topic of the OP?

How is that a strawman?
So you are saying the outlawing of back street kitchen tables and rusty knitting needles to replace it with hygienic operating rooms and clean equipment did not make abortion any safer.?
I shared a source that claimed that as of 1955 90% of all the "back-alley" abortions were performed by trained physicians.

What you are spewing is propaganda created by political advocates with an agenda to destroy the Black community.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes - I have read the Bible.

Isn't abortion the main topic of the OP?

How is that a strawman?

I shared a source that claimed that as of 1955 90% of all the "back-alley" abortions were performed by trained physicians.

What you are spewing is propaganda created by political advocates with an agenda to destroy the Black community.

And the bible describes atrosoties and hiw ro commit them in the name of God

My bad, my mind was elsewhere when i replied.

No, what i am spewing thank you very much is that before 1973 in the us, later elsewhere, there are actually no records of who carried out abortions. So how you can make such a claim is rather odd.

The high number of deaths from back street abortion was not generally discussed back then because of the illegality. Now however there are many older women who have spoken out about their experiences or of their friends who died.