• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common sense

MatthewA

No, thank you for your time though. You have a nice day. Power stone.

`~ Apologies on the double post

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do understand that abortion should be legal because It’s safer that way.

Beyond that, abortion should be legal because the choice should belong to the early term pregnant woman, not the church using the force of government to compel others to obey its religious preferences.

The purpose of religion I think regarding that is just to say killing is wrong.

Originally, the purpose of the church's ban on abortion was to promote maximal childbirth. They oppose whatever will slow the birth rate, such as homosexuality, divorce, birth control, sex education, and recreational sex. That was the Catholics.

The protestants got on board as well, but their reasons were different. Like the Republicans, they saw the abortion matter as a wedge issue that would manufacture faux outrage at atheists and liberals to increase church revenues and Republican voter turnout.

It's not about whether killing is right or wrong just like all this voting legislation is not about election integrity.

Furthermore, what do we need with the church's take on abortion? Why would secular humanists care what Christians (or any other religious group) call immoral, or what they think their god wants? Our values are derived by the application of reason to empathy, and they are often at odds with religious values.

MatthewA

Have no problems with Abortion clinics and they doing what they do ~

Even in the suggestion of a person having had a abortion then they even found God later in life.

~

The choice of having an abortion is there just as much as the probability of maybe having baby placed upon a person door step in hopes they take care of the child

or adoption,

even worse another choice of the mother killing their own child by insanity of their cries and the sorrows of life upon the mother.

~

The choice of having an abortion is totally open `

~

So is the choice of thinking for yourself and questioning if murdering or killing is wrong or if murder is justifiable some how by whatever factors ~

Though from me myself I would never suggest that murdering or killing anyone is a good thing to do at all. Those type of things haunt you and catch up with you in life. :(

Take care and May God give the increase - if you believe in God and the Lord Jesus Christ ~ if not that is fine~ Just take care! :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I do understand that abortion should be legal because It’s safer that way. The purpose of religion I think regarding that is just to say killing is wrong. I mean I’m not thrilled about abortion so I think it’s a good thing that we have it jotted down in some dusty book that killing is wrong so before we jump to conclusions and blame religion for all the abortion related strife I think we can use our common sense and realize that religion is just answering the question of if ending life is bad. No big deal really
Yes, it's a big deal.
I do support abortion up to about 12 weeks, and beyond that where life is in danger or serious complications found.

But Extreme-Religion 'can be' seriously warped over pro-life issues.

I notice that many extreme Christians tend to be aggressively pro=life, even demanding that rape victims should bear 'rape-children' ..... I've even read these nutters saying that rape victims probably bore some responsibility for their pregnancies!

Why do so many Christian pro-lifers object to providing free education, free healthcare and medical services, free education ....to adulthood .... for all? Pro-life? No.... pro subjection of women, I reckon.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I do understand that abortion should be legal because It’s safer that way. The purpose of religion I think regarding that is just to say killing is wrong. I mean I’m not thrilled about abortion so I think it’s a good thing that we have it jotted down in some dusty book that killing is wrong so before we jump to conclusions and blame religion for all the abortion related strife I think we can use our common sense and realize that religion is just answering the question of if ending life is bad. No big deal really

I have no issues with religious folk following the tenets of their religion within the bounds of secular law.
I simply want them to take the same view with me.

For what it's worth, my wife and I wouldn't abort. Nor would we 'gay marry' each other. Supporting those things is about allowing OTHERS to make their own choices. Not about self.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Should rape be made legal so that it's safer that way?

You might have to enlighten me on your meaning here.
Are you suggesting that allowing rape within sanitary conditions by trained professionals is safer than backyard rape using various unsanitary means?

Or are you using rape as a simple prop whilst hyperbolically aiming for dramatic effect?

Clara Tea

Hello PowerStone,

The question seems to be is killing wrong?

My self believe that even hatred is a form of murdering another person~ without actual murder. (1 John 3:14-16) - Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer : This scripture is one reason why I do say this. (Hatred/murder/killing - is not good ~ or healthy)

You might believe other wise, but these are some of my own thoughts on killing/murder/hatred.

But then again what does killing mean? Killing animals to survive and eat, killing human beings, Killing elderly?

What do you think about killing/Murder ? Is it okay to you?

Some believe that "thou shalt not kill" should be "thou shalt not murder." But, as it stands, it says "kill."

That doesn't specify killing humans or animals. But the bible does mention the consumption of animals, I assume that it means that "thou shalt not kill" only applies to humans.

Clara Tea

I think that all could agree that current abortion law, in some states, should be changed to prevent aborting a fetus that could miraculously survive. Survival of an early fetus means that it is likely blind, crippled, malformed, and mentally challenged. Doctors are now mandated to try to save fetuses like this that are aborted but survive.

MatthewA

Some believe that "thou shalt not kill" should be "thou shalt not murder." But, as it stands, it says "kill."

That doesn't specify killing humans or animals. But the bible does mention the consumption of animals, I assume that it means that "thou shalt not kill" only applies to humans.

Hello Clara Tea,

Is that what it says? Thou shall not kill, or not murder? Guess it is kill, (forgotten - lol).

My assumption would be that of not killing humans either.

Seems that Man gave names to all the tame animals ; wild animals, bird of the air, he saw many animals, and birds, but he could not find a companion that was right for him. ( Genesis 2:20 ) ~ According to the bible.

As humans we have ate all types of different animal foods, and slain animals for food, back in the old testament believe they had to slay animal for a covering of their sins ~ Until Jesus Christ came and paid for the sins of the world - Now we no longer slay animals sacrifices like they did in the old testament. (According to the bible and what it says) ~ Could be wrong you have to decide those answers for yourself.

Take care :)

Fallen Prophet

Ending a life is not necessarily a bad.

Intentionally ending an innocent life because it is inconvenient to you is bad.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Mac Davis wrote a song.....the Ghetto
Elvis made it big

consider

Fallen Prophet

I believe that the idea that abortions being legal made them safer is a common misconception.

Fatality rates of "back-alley" abortions dramatically dropped after the introduction of antibiotics in the 1940's and continued to improve.

The term "back-alley" abortion is even misleading since by as early as 1955 - 90% of all illegal abortions were performed by trained physicians.

AJPH.50.7.948 (aphapublications.org)

In 1972 - the year before Roe v. Wade was passed - there were only 63 abortion related fatalities - and 38% of those deaths were the result of legal abortions.

Abortion Surveillance -- United States, 1992 (cdc.gov)

Basically - it was not Roe v. Wade that made abortions safer - but the development of better medicine.