• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common Sense Deactivated?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
On closer examination....(I love it when threads take me to places that I never thought of going to)....I came across this piece on the domestication of the fruits we eat today compared to what they use to look like originally....

This is how it begins.....

WHAT FRUITS & VEGETABLES LOOKED LIKE BEFORE WE DOMESTICATED THEM
AMANDA MONTEIRO FEBRUARY 11, 2016

before-759x500.png

The world is in a constant state of flux. Things are changing every second of every day, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly, and this is a natural part of life. So it should come as no surprise that much of the food we eat today has changed as well, and bears little resemblance to its distant forebears. There are many reasons for this, including evolution and plant/animal interactions within ecosystems, changes in farming technology and methods — GMOs are one unfortunate example of this — and plant hybridization, which is in itself an agricultural technology. (Click here to know the difference between GMO and hybrid seeds.)

Once we began growing these particular fruits and vegetables en masse to meet the demands of consumers, they started to change. Take a look at what fruits and vegetables used to look like, before we domesticated them."

What Fruits & Vegetables Looked Like Before We Domesticated Them

We already know that the mass producing of cash crops for a ready market is the springboard for a tastier and more colorful product that is hopefully (though not always) more nutritious. If its appealing to the eye, it helps with the price too. :D

It goes on to talk about the humble banana.....

Wild/ Modern Bananas

The first bananas are thought to have been cultivated about 10,000 years ago in what is now known as Papua New Guinea. Portuguese colonists in the 15th and 16th centuries established banana plantations in the Atlantic Islands, Brazil, and Western Africa. North Americans soon began consuming bananas on a small scale; it was only until the 1880s that it became more widespread.

Today our hybrid bananas come from two wild varieties, Musa acuminata and Musa balbisiana, which had large, hard seeds, like the ones in this photo. The modern banana has much smaller seeds, contains more nutrients, and, it has been conjectured, tastes much better."

Regardless of the shape, the seeds, the color or the taste, people still ate them and so did the creatures who lived in that habitat.

Now this article says "The first bananas are thought to have been cultivated about 10,000 years ago in what is now known as Papua New Guinea." Cultivated means specifically grown by humans and this was 10,000 years ago? So what sort of 'evolutionary modification' are we suggesting here? It seems as if humans have modified a good many edible things to suit their own needs and tastes as they progressed in knowledge of agricultural breeding practices, be they for better taste, larger size, better shape or for financial gain.

I will leave you to read the rest (if you desire) but one thing stands out in this article that is in all articles that make suggestions about what science doesn't really know. If something is "thought to have been", it means that it is a guess, not a fact. They have put 2 and 2 together, assuming that 2 and 2 was in the original equation....which is something they tend to do with most things in the dim dark past.

Without the original DNA being designed the way it was, no manipulation by humans could have taken place.

When humans manipulate many organic things, they are often left with sterile hybrids that cannot reproduce. Nature never does that. Look at the original banana and see how generous the Creator was with the seeds he implanted for their continued production. Cut open any tomato or capsicum and see how many seeds are contained in each piece. All have the potential for producing hundreds of plants.

Throw an old potato in the garden and watch as it grows into a potato plant that will give you lots more potatoes. What do the fruits that man produces give them back? They might taste a little better but they have to figure out a way to keep growing them without seeds. Then you have big corporations GM'ing seeds and patenting them so that farmers need to buy those GM seeds at added cost rather than gathering seeds from a previous crop for free. (Like they use to)

Still, no modifications could be made without the original fruit containing the ability for adaptation, be it natural or artificial. The original was 'designed' with that potential.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Regardless of his methods or his tactics, (obviously the reason why atheists hate him) answer his honest questions for yourself. Can everything come from nothing?

Current ideas say YES.

Can the book of life have no author? Can any book write itself?
The 'book of life' isn't a book. yes, it has no author.

suncowiam

Another hey look, I have a "fool proof" argument why Atheists are wrong, yet, I can't prove God actually exists.

Then there's the whole banana and humans splicing gene argument why Atheists are wrong.

Awesome!

Good luck to you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What if it was God?
jawsmiley.gif

I'm referring to the concept of God. Whatever crazy idea people come up with. Long before Christianity.

Primitive man sitting around the campfire coming up with an explanation for the world.

I doubt every concept of God created by man was put there by God.

siti

You mean we have fossils of ancient bananas?
jawsmiley.gif
Can you show me these? What shape, size, color and taste did these have? Apes apparently ate them anyway.
There are wild bananas that have not been cultivated by humans - they are small, have little edible flesh and are full of seeds - they are essentially seed pods - which is what fruits are of course - but wild bananas are very different from the fleshy cultivated variety that Comfort uses as evidence of divine design - IOW, God's bananas required significant improvement before being suitable for the supermarket shelves that the ID crowd believe to be stocked with mouth-watering designer fruits divinely produced specially for the delectation of human taste buds. Same goes for apples, oranges, cabbages, carrots, beans, pumpkins, tomatoes, potatoes, wheat, barley, eggplants, cucumbers, melons...you name it...

...but I do see why you had to ask people to deactivate common sense before reading your thread!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Define 'nothing'.

"pronoun
Nothing means not a single thing, or not a single part of something."
(Collins English Dictionary)

In the beginning there was nothing and all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, nothing exploded into something that became everything!

Does that sound scientific?
297.gif

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally think he had a good point with the banana. :p It is perfectly designed to be peeled and held in the direction of the mouth for immediate consumption. (when you are hungry, this is important) You really believe that was just an accident? Discarding the banana peel might be a trifle hazardous to pedestrians but it makes excellent fertilizer for the garden. :D "Nature" is applauded for its design and recycling skills.....but what is "nature" exactly? Is it that "something" that came from "nothing", I wonder?

And the modern banana with those qualities is the result of a mutation in 1836 in Jamaica. So, yes, it was an 'accident' in the sense that nobody planned it. Previously, the fruit was the plantain, which is not nearly as sweet and edible as the banana.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-evolutionary-history-of-bananas

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
"pronoun

In the beginning there was nothing and all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, nothing exploded into something that became everything!

297.gif

It's a mis-characterization of what the hypothesis says. But, yes, we *know* that quantum fluctuations can produce 'something' from 'nothing' and that when this happens, it is possible for the resulting 'bibble' of 'something' to expand into a universe like ours.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I'm referring to the concept of God. Whatever crazy idea people come up with. Long before Christianity.

God didn't start with Christianity. In fact God had no start...creation did however.

Primitive man sitting around the campfire coming up with an explanation for the world.

What if there were no such things as "primitive men"? They are an invention of evolutionists. There is no proof that all humans were at one time, primitive. There are primitive humans even today existing in the same world as technologically advanced humans.

I doubt every concept of God created by man was put there by God.

You are welcome to your doubts......I don't have any. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"pronoun

297.gif
What it sounds like is the story you're selling:

God somehow creates himself and then through magic poofing creates everything else.

james bond

Love him or hate him, Ray Comfort makes a good argument.

Can nothing create everything?

What evidence would convince you that there is intelligence demonstrated in the DNA that makes up all living things?

>>D: Can nothing create everything?<<

It's not common sense, but about science. Atheist science thinks so, but they've been wrong before.

For creation science, it's about using science to study Adam and Eve and Noah's Flood.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
True, atheists used to think a creation event, a beginning to time itself was impossible, 'religious pseudoscience'
Darwinists used to think life must have developed in slow steady increments, not distinct sudden stages...
Some even openly dislike the idea of God for asking more questions!

The simplest explanation is always the most tempting, but reality does not seem to share the academic fondness for Occam's razor does it? :)

Heh...I chuckled at this. Your overall point is completely valid though, in terms of 'gut feeling' being a pretty bad way of judging reality.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
God didn't start with Christianity. In fact God had no start...creation did however.

What if there were no such things as "primitive men"? They are an invention of evolutionists. There is no proof that all humans were at one time, primitive. There are primitive humans even today existing in the same world as technologically advanced humans.

You are welcome to your doubts......I don't have any. :)

Do you think every concept of God held by man was put there by God?

We've primitive tribes now with no concept of the Christian God. Do you think their ideas about God where placed in their head by God?

Any idea of any type of God I might think of was placed in my head by God? Should we all just go with whatever concept of God we create because if it's in our head, it was put there by God?

Or do you think it's possible man might have created some of these concepts on his own?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Regardless of his methods or his tactics, (obviously the reason why atheists hate him)
Yes, we hate him because he's dishonest and manipulative. Is that a bad thing?

answer his honest questions for yourself. Can everything come from nothing?
We don't know, because we have no examples of "nothing" to test it is meaningless to assert ANYTHING about what can or cannot result from it. Not that the question is relevant, because the Universe doesn't need to have come from nothing. It's a false dichotomy.

Can the book of life have no author?
Life and the Universe are not a book.

Can any book write itself?
See above.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
"pronoun

297.gif
No, because it's not what science says. At least, not using the definition of "nothing" that you are using.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I see most of you avoiding the main questions.....(how unusual) bananas notwithstanding.....can something come from nothing?

What does science really know as opposed to what they guess 'might have' happened?

Is the "book of life" just an incredible accident? Did no one write this extremely complex book that took humans thousands of years to discipher....and is yet to fully understand how to control it? We didn't call it that...scientists did.

Did DNA just accidentally program itself so that every creature on this planet could have a unique size, shape and characteristics? And all of them just happened to have their own means of reproduction?

The details for all modifications were already present in that DNA, some put into play automatically when environment or food supplies were changed for some reason....but these mechanisms were hidden from man for millennia, just waiting for them to become smart enough to discover them. Once discovered, man saw himself as a god of sorts, because he was able to artificially replicate what nature did, naturally. All he ended up being was a copy-cat. And because he ran amok with his knowledge and could see financial gain in the process, environmental impact and potential damage to unaltered DNA, hardly entered his mind.
4fvgdaq_th.gif
This is why planet Earth is is such awful trouble....polluted almost beyond man's ability to repair....why? Because he will not stop making money at the planet's expense. When you throw God away, decency and care for others disappears with him. When money is your god, you will serve it faithfully. Genetically altering things carries with it responsibilities, but scientists haven't really demonstrated that they care about the long term consequences.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
>>D: Can nothing create everything?<<

It's not common sense, but about science. Atheist science thinks so, but they've been wrong before.

For creation science, it's about using science to study Adam and Eve and Noah's Flood.

Atheist science?
What is that???

siti

I see most of you avoiding the main questions.....(how unusual) bananas notwithstanding.....?
OK - what are the main questions? Oh - I see these...

...can something come from nothing?
We don't know - we don't know that there ever was "nothing" but even if we assume there was, the same argument applies to the existence of God anyway, doesn't it?

What does science really know as opposed to what they guess 'might have' happened?
Science knows only what it sees - then it formulates a hypothesis to explain it and looks again, more closely or casting a wider glance, to see if the hypothesis explains previously unobserved facts - if it does the hypothesis gradually becomes a theory. But "science" knows only one fact for certain - that it does not have all the facts. Your assumption of creation presumes to suggest that we do have all the answers - or at least that we know someone who does.

Is the "book of life" just an incredible accident?
Almost certainly.

Did no one write this extremely complex book that took humans thousands of years to discipher....and is yet to fully understand how to control it?
Yes - no 'one' wrote it - and it is incomplete and evolving just as its content is...appealing to complexity doesn't help your argument because you have no choice but to invoke even greater complexity - the "mind of God" - in order to explain how this complexity arose, but you have no explanation for how that "God" complexity arose - all you can say is it just is.

Did DNA just accidentally program itself so that every creature on this planet could have a unique size, shape and characteristics?
Probably.

And all of them just happened to have their own means of reproduction?
Yes.