1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Committing adultery today

Discussion in 'Christianity DIR' started by Messianic Israelite, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Messianic Israelite

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Assemblies of Yahweh
    In the Bible, committing adultery was punishable by death (Leviticus 20:10). Unlike other cultures, in Yahweh's Laws, both the adulterer and adulteress were to be put to death. In our modern day society, we have a lapsed attitude towards adultery. I believe our current Prime Minister Boris Johnson is said to have committed adultery for example and no punishment was forthcoming. Does anyone think that if there were a death penalty for committing adultery that society would improve and there wouldn't be such a high incidence of divorces? Does anyone find it strange, that even in the U.S which bases their constitution on the Bible, adultery is not punishable by death?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. Musing Bassist

Musing Bassist In Hac Lacrimarum Valle

Ratings:
    +1,102
    Religion:
    Traditionalist Catholicism (Personal Ordinariate)
    Christians are not under the judicial of the Mosaic Law, thus there is no obligation to enact the death penalty for adultery. Adulterers should be called to repentance rather than punished by secular law. John 8:10-11

#2 Musing Bassist, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson ζει

Ratings:
    +527
    My biological parents were married, but not to each other. Had the law to which you refer been enforceable and enforced after I was conceived but before I was born, I wouldn't be here today, typing this. Had the law been enforceable and enforced after I was born but before my biological mother dropped me off at my biological father's house, in all probability I would have had as miserable an upbringing as my two half-brothers who are now dead. Because the law to which you refer was not enforceable and enforced, my mother dropped me off at my father's house and his wife raised me till I was 12 and turned me over to her Lutheran preacher who raised me with his own five children until I turned 18. I am now 71 and am here to tell you: I have personally known no less than eight righteous people, none of whom were biologically related to me and all of whom believed in Jesus of Nazareth and had a profound understanding of and appreciation for these words from Deuteronomy 4:31:

כִּי אֵל רַחוּם יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ (For the LORD your God is a merciful God).
    Uncle Terry says: until you have understood that, you have understood nothing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Messianic Israelite

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Assemblies of Yahweh
    I assume with that reasoning we should let murderers go free (forgiveness), rapists too and all other law breakers. Clearly we have to distinguish a line between Government law and the laws of the New Covenant which are applied to the individual.

I personally feel that adultery should be punishable. Whether by death or imprisonment is a separate issue.

5. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,318
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm glad I actually read your OP. From the title, I thought you were planning on "committing adultery today." I was going to advise you against it. Hurts a lot of people, especially when the couple has children. As far as the death penalty? Naw. Different time. We need to get past the idea that we should be killing people. Just look at countries where they still kill people for such things. To be clear, I am against adultery, but prison or death is not the answer.

6. Messianic Israelite

Ratings:
    +17
    Religion:
    Assemblies of Yahweh
    Thanks for sharing your opinion David. haha, no I'm not thinking of committing adultery, don't worry! It is true, when you look at countries that, for example, stone people to death still, it seems barbaric, but in the Kingdom of Yahweh, the death penalty will be used to exterminate of the sinners (Psalm 101:8). I am curious, you say you are against adultery but you don't believe it should be punishable? Isn't that a bit duplicitous?

7. Musing Bassist

Musing Bassist In Hac Lacrimarum Valle

Ratings:
    +1,102
    Religion:
    Traditionalist Catholicism (Personal Ordinariate)
    With a distinction between immorality and criminality, we need assume nothing of the sort.

Unless you are confident in your own righteousness, you should be careful in calling for stones.