• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commitment to God

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In Hinduism, there is karma yoga, one of the four main yogas, where all action in life is done in service to the Lord. Krishna teaches this to Arjuna in (I think) chapter three of the Bhagavad Gita.

Obviously, one lives in accordance with one's dharma, but "fun things" aren't expressly forbidden. I mean there aren't any heavy metal vomit parties or anything like that, but one is able to eat food one enjoys (not in excess, of course) or attend gatherings and have fun. It's just done as devotion to the Lord.
Islam has maybe more strict guideline or commandments to the followers, i dont expect all people to understand why it is so strict and for non muslims i get it :) why they dont like to be " told what to do"

I can not yet fully answer why i feel so much more comfortable as a muslim, than i did before, in other religions.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To commit once life to God (for believers) take a lot of effort, to come to a point where you say, "Ok God" i give my life in service to you. From today, what ever happens i lay my full faith in you.

But it does not end there, that is only the beginning. From that day, you know life will change, if you do those changes in your life, soul searching to empty your mind of bad habbits and to serve God in a righterous way. It is truly difficult to stay focused and ready when life get hard or difficult.

Why is it so hard? Because your ego tells you about all the fun things, the food you can not eat, the partys you can not go to.
Or that if you just relax a little it is ok.

Commitment to God is truly difficult, but the reward is amazing, if one make it.

Any thoughts?
My foremost thought is that I don't think like that, not least because I have no idea what real thing the word "God" is intended to denote.

But if people have attitudes of decency, respect and inclusion to their fellow-humans, and they also find it agrees with them to follow your suggestion, who's to argue?

And if they don't have those attitudes, what does it matter whether they see themselves as having committed their lives to God or not?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My foremost thought is that I don't think like that, not least because I have no idea what real thing the word "God" is intended to denote.

But if people have attitudes of decency, respect and inclusion to their fellow-humans, and they also find it agrees with them to follow your suggestion, who's to argue?

And if they don't have those attitudes, what does it matter whether they see themselves as having committed their lives to God or not?
Good questions. I would be unable to answer for others. To me finding the faith in Allah was the most great thing happen in my 43 years on this planet :) so giving my everything to Allah does not feel as a loss of freedom :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To commit once life to God (for believers) take a lot of effort, to come to a point where you say, "Ok God" i give my life in service to you. From today, what ever happens i lay my full faith in you.

But it does not end there, that is only the beginning. From that day, you know life will change, if you do those changes in your life, soul searching to empty your mind of bad habbits and to serve God in a righterous way. It is truly difficult to stay focused and ready when life get hard or difficult.

Why is it so hard? Because your ego tells you about all the fun things, the food you can not eat, the partys you can not go to.
Or that if you just relax a little it is ok.

Commitment to God is truly difficult, but the reward is amazing, if one make it.

Any thoughts?

Again, I see it very differently. Sincere Hindus aren't committed to God, they're committed to dharma. God is not some Boss.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Again, I see it very differently. Sincere Hindus aren't committed to God, they're committed to dharma. God is not some Boss.
Dharma is a great way to describ existance :) for one who believe in a God, i think it's a different way of describing dharma, the big question become, how do we see God, is God a being or a manifistation of universal rules?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you are so lacking in self control, then its well that you " serve God ".
To become one of self control it is first important to understand the teaching of God, but understanding more and more, less sin is done and more service to God is done correctly. It is not so that by accepting Allah one become someone who never do wrong again :)
I can not ask others to believe if they have no interest in it. And i can not speak for how any other person should or should not understand the teaching.

Audie

Veteran Member
To become one of self control it is first important to understand the teaching of God, but understanding more and more, less sin is done and more service to God is done correctly. It is not so that by accepting Allah one become someone who never do wrong again :)
I can not ask others to believe if they have no interest in it. And i can not speak for how any other person should or should not understand the teaching.
So why don't you keep your problems to yourself.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good questions. I would be unable to answer for others. To me finding the faith in Allah was the most great thing happen in my 43 years on this planet :) so giving my everything to Allah does not feel as a loss of freedom :)
One of the titles of the Islamic God is "the compassionate, the merciful", isn't it? That sounds like a good start to me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One of the titles of the Islamic God is "the compassionate, the merciful", isn't it? That sounds like a good start to me.
Yes and when i started reading the quran i found Allah to be both compasdionate and merciful toward me. But Allah also clearly show me my own weakness, something i have to work on daily to become a better muslim :)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes and when i started reading the quran i found Allah to be both compasdionate and merciful toward me. But Allah also clearly show me my own weakness, something i have to work on daily to become a better muslim :)
Whenever a better Muslim is a better human, we're on the same side. The world needs people of goodwill, and they'll get along no matter where they come from.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can not yet fully answer why i feel so much more comfortable as a muslim, than i did before, in other religions.
I always felt comfortable as a Baha'i because the guidelines are similar to Muslim guidelines.
There is nothing I would want to do that I cannot do and I realize that the Laws are for my own good and protection.
One thing among many things that Baha'i and Islam have in common is that they are both religions of Laws, not religions of grace, like Christianity.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I always felt comfortable as a Baha'i because the guidelines are similar to Muslim guidelines.
There is nothing I would want to do that I cannot do and I realize that the Laws are for my own good and protection.
One thing among many things that Baha'i and Islam have in common is that they are both religions of Laws, not religions of grace, like Christianity.
I like baha'i way of practice:)

QuestioningMind

Nobody else makes our decisions. We choose to follow the teachings and the laws of the religion and as long as we are living within the law, we are not restricted form enjoying life. It is only when we allow worldly things to come in between us and God that it is a problem.

“Should a man wish to adorn himself with the ornaments of the earth, to wear its apparels, or partake of the benefits it can bestow, no harm can befall him, if he alloweth nothing whatever to intervene between him and God, for God hath ordained every good thing, whether created in the heavens or in the earth, for such of His servants as truly believe in Him. Eat ye, O people, of the good things which God hath allowed you, and deprive not yourselves from His wondrous bounties. Render thanks and praise unto Him, and be of them that are truly thankful.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 276

Nobody else makes our decisions.

They do if you decide to let other sources make your decisions for you.

QuestioningMind

Alcohol to me is of no use:) i do not like the tast, or that I lose control if i was to drink to much. And much food are not healthy for humans, so i try stay away from it.

Then you should definitely not drink alcohol or eat any foods that you consider to be unhealthy. I'm just confused why anyone would need some old book to decide such things for them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I realize that it's my choice. I'm simply trying to understand why anyone would willingly give up their right to choose for themselves.
I will still have to chose to do the right thing in every situations i experience:) but to i understand the consequence of it if I chose to follow my ego, and not listen to Allah. So to the best of my ability i chose to do it the way Allah teaches me to do it.