• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

commentary on stuff

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Hi Chuck.

Do you want just a small overview (like example bottom), or averse by verse, or :confused:

Deuteronomy 7
The rules for the conquest of Canaan.
It's God's rules for the conquest of Canaan and what to do when they get there.

Genesis 6
The "Flood"
The so called flood story of Noah. For me personally it's just a rehash of previous, eg. Babylonian, flood stories. Could have been a local flood, like when the glaciers melted at the end of the last ice age.

A previous Flood story was rewritten to fit Judean Monotheistic thought, to show that YHWH care about those who serve Him, and He would bring His wrath down on those that didn't believe in Him

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Genesis 6 1-8
The number of people increased all over the earth, and daughters were born to them. (Gen 6:1 GW)
As is with people, Multiplying comes natural

The sons of God saw that the daughters of other humans were beautiful. So they married any woman they chose. (Gen 6:2 GW)
The Sons of God could be angels, as Judean mythology, when this was written, has yet to evolve the notion of Satan and Demons.

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not struggle with humans forever, because they are flesh and blood. They will live 120 years." (Gen 6:3 GW)
The Lord saying to an unnamed party, that He will not strugle with men, but the reason is only given later. But in the context of the myth it seems not connected to the story, and might have been added later.

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, as well as later, when the sons of God slept with the daughters of other humans and had children by them. These children were famous long ago. (Gen 6:4 GW)
The Nephilim or Giants was either the result of the marriage of Daughters of Man and the Sons of God, or natural selection.

The LORD saw how evil humans had become on the earth. All day long their deepest thoughts were nothing but evil. (Gen 6:5 GW)
In the myth it is never stated, except for the marriage above, why mankind was seen as evil.

The LORD was sorry that he had made humans on the earth, and he was heartbroken. (Gen 6:6 GW)

So he said, "I will wipe off the face of the earth these humans that I created. I will wipe out not only humans, but also domestic animals, crawling animals, and birds. I'm sorry that I made them." (Gen 6:7 GW)
YWHW feeling remorse, decided to get rid of everything He made. But the real reason why is never stated.

But the LORD was pleased with Noah. (Gen 6:8 GW)

Deuteronomy 7 1-4
The LORD your God will bring you to the land you're about to enter and take possession of. He will force many nations out of your way: the Hittites, Girga****es, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites-seven nations larger and more powerful than you. (Deu 7:1 GW)

When the LORD your God gives them to you and you defeat them, destroy every one of them because they have been claimed by the LORD. Don't make any treaties with them or show them any mercy. (Deu 7:2 GW)

Never marry any of them. Never let your daughters marry their sons or your sons marry their daughters. (Deu 7:3 GW)

These people will turn your children away from me to worship other gods. Then the LORD will get very angry with you and will quickly destroy you. (Deu 7:4 GW)

YHWH's saying thru the Deuteronomist that the nations living in Canaan is bigger than Israel, and when they "conquer" Canaan they should get rid of the nations living there. Also not to worship other Gods or give their children into marriage with any nations living there.

Isabella Lecour

i just want a pagan to comment on these two verses thats all.

It doesn't sound like you want a commentary on that but is just looking for soundbites. Even if someone provided you with that soundbite, it will not represent and does not stand for all Pagans.

Besides my standard interview fee would apply. And I'm not sure I'm willing to supply your quotes without a lot more information about you, your article, the reasons you are writing it and the reasons why you're after a quick quote.