• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

comment please

Alceste

Vagabond
I need an atheist to comment on

Deuteronomy 7 and Genesis 6 you will be quoted in an essay I'm writing

Both represent "god" as a character with human qualities we generally consider to be reprehensible. Vengeance, jealousy, spite, murder, hate, destructiveness, hypocrisy (in the light of his sixth commandment) and tribalism.

FYI, it's good form to post links or quote the material you'd like feedback on.

Deuteronomy 7 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com
Genesis 6 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

dust1n

Zindīq
Deuteronomy 7 is unjustified divine aristocracies that really amount to dribble in the terms of spirituality.

Genesis 6 shows God really sucks at the whole 'creation' thing, so much he had to try twice!

I have tried to decipher these two passages, but I can't find anything of merit within them. Deuteronomy 7 is all about God's merciful nature which is echoed throughout the bible in other passages such as the ones that condone sex slavery and homophobia. Genesis 6 talks about how God swamped the world with water that can't be found in today's world because 'He' obviously got really thirsty one day and decided to drink it all up.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
What stands out to me in both passages is the extent to which the authors believed their god to have human motives and emotions. God is completely sympathetic to the comparatively small tribe of humans that he has "chosen", and he promises success in war while admonishing any acts of peace or collaboration with their more powerful rivals. He is not much different from the tribal gods that those rivals worshipped. There isn't much in those passages to distinguish the Jewish god from the false gods made up by other tribes and nations in their world.