• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming back to Islam

Maija

Assalamu Alaykum sisters and brothers,

After a few years of being without Islam and praying for an answer, i am coming back to Islam. I prayed for God to give me an answer, nothing like a dream or a sign except for the previous beliefs i held-without getting into them, no longer make sense. I can no longer make my beliefs up as I go along when Alhamdulilah Islam has defined that answer. i miss so much my hijab, the Muslim Ummah, my solid prayer routine- falling asleep knowing I have remembered God 5x with salah...i am hoping my husband, if i lead a good enough example as a happy and hard working wife, will see this and come to Islam too..Allahu Alam..Please make dua for me to keep strong and most importantly for forgiveness of my sins. I fear I commited shirk in associating with other religions- if i did, with coming to Islam is there hope for me to see Jannah if i follow Gods command from now?

Last edited:

Sahar

Sure, with repentance your sins turn into virtues! :) How lucky we are for having such a beautiful merciful God!
Alhamdulillah! Welcome back :) May Allah forgive our sins and bestow on us peace of mind and heart...ameen.

Maija

Sure, with repentance your sins turn into virtues! :) How lucky we are for having such a beautiful merciful God!
Alhamdulillah! Welcome back :) May Allah forgive our sins and bestow on us peace of mind and heart...ameen.

Subhanallah, it feels good already- i know there will be struggles. For i.e. telling my husband (he has seen me through a few religions and we've only known each other since 2008), it was actually not as difficult as I thought it would be. He needed no explanations, he knows I'm a seeker at heart.

I told him I'd need another abayat, I had donated mine because they were being unused. :cover: He said, wait and see that you've been making your daily prayers and then okay..Fair enough. Give it a week or so..Till then I wrap myself in a long Ethiopian blanket, white with coloured embroidery, like the Sahaba used to do..

And then I read some of "The Ideal Muslimah." It will be good for me to make some Muslimah friends inshallah..

Thanks Sahar for your response, yes Allah's mercy and compassion has brought me back.

:shout

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Masha Allah, welcome back to Islam sister.

Like Sahar has mentioned Allah forgives all sins to those who repent. In a Hadith Qudsi it says that all humans are sinners and the best of them are those who repent.

Those who accept Islam have all their previous sins from that moment on forgiven. Anyone who with full conviction and sincerity declares that none other than Allah is worthy of worship and dies in that belief is guaranteed Jannah.

Maija

Masha Allah, welcome back to Islam sister.

Like Sahar has mentioned Allah forgives all sins to those who repent. In a Hadith Qudsi it says that all humans are sinners and the best of them are those who repent.

:bow:

Those who accept Islam have all their previous sins from that moment on forgiven. Anyone who with full conviction and sincerity declares that none other than Allah is worthy of worship and dies in that belief is guaranteed Jannah.

Jazak allahu khayran Gharib and Sahar, for your warm welcome.

I am going to start going to mosque again and take shahada with a witness.

La ilaha illa Allah wa-Muhammad rasul Allah.

Praying would be easier if I was home all the time, at the office it's a bit harder. It's my small jihad that at the moment I am happy to have for Allah (swt) I don't have my very own office, rather I share a cubicle with several individuals in a room. I will talk to the HR manager about the possibility of using a prayer room, as it's more burden and not correct to make up all these prayers at the end of the day when I come home - 4pm.

Anyway, I will leave the ranting of a person returning to the beauty of Islam.

It's funny, in my religious searching, other religions I found were too customizable (not a real word), wish didn't work for me. Making it up as I went along meant that I might not stick to something that was good for me even though it was difficult in the beginning. It also meant I was always adjusting, reevaluating and second guessing a routine that could be what I want, i.e. *When do I pray? * How many times? *what do I say? etc...

Islam has provided all of that for our convenience, several reminders, moments with God.

I've made a quick turn back to Islam and the routine, except that I am not wearing hijab immediately- I will stick to my prayer routine for a while and then let God guide me, inshallah.

After salat I also make du'a for my husband to find Islam, I would not like for us to be a split religion. I have heard the period he needs to be given is 3 months, that seems so short..

I have read different things about reverts being married to non muslims:

In Qur'an 60:7-12
Verse 7 states: "It may well be that Allah will grant love between you and those whom you (now) hold as enemies, for Allah has power over all things, and is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who do not (actually) fight you for (your faith) nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them; for Allah loves those who are just. Allah only forbids you with regard to those who fight against you for (your) faith, and drive you out of your homes, and support (others) in driving you out, from turning to them (for friendship and love). It is such as turn to these (in these circumstances) who do wrong."

Should a person, upon accepting Islam, divorce his or her non-Muslim spouse? Many famous early male Companions adopted Islam long after their wives. For example, 'Umar's wife Zaynab was the sister of 'Uthman bin Maz'un. Both of them were Muslims. Hamzah's wife was Salmah, and 'Abbas' wife was Lubabah (Umm Fadl), daughters of Hind bint Awf by different husbands. In 'Abbas' case, Umm Fadl claimed to be the second woman to revert to Islam, the same day as her close friend Khadijah. Officially, 'Abbas accepted Islam just before the fall of Makkah 20 years later!
The Prophet did not ask them to divorce their non-Muslim husbands. In fact, they gradually entered Islam by being convinced of its truth. Incidentally, not only wives brought their husbands into Islam: Fatimah brought her brother 'Umar, Umm Habibah brought her father Abu Sufyan, and the Prophet's daughter Zaynab brought Abu al-'As. There are many similar cases.

ZAWAJ.COM: Articles and Essays

I just am sharing this because it's the first time for me to read this opinion on the subject, usually I've read that they must divorce if the husband does not revert.

Good night and thanks in advance for reading..

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I would love to see replies about this because previously I have been told to wait for 3 months and then part ways. It took me years to accept Islam, how can I ask for my husband to do this in 3 months, when he's accepting of my decisions and not threatening to my faith?

If it is a sin, then I'm guilty of it. I would not want him to convert out of insincere reasons, like just to stay with me. Rather it be from his heart, after seeing how great Islam has been for me. Sure it's a harder road to take but if a woman has enough strenght then why not?

Sahar

I found this Fatwa interesting; issued by the European Council for Fatwa and Research, headed by the prominent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi:
...Third: If the wife reverts to Islam while her husband remains on his religion, the Council sees the following:

1) If her reversion to Islam occurs before the consummation of marriage, then they must immediately separate.

2) If her reversion to Islam occurs after the consummation of marriage, and the husband also embraced Islam before the expiry of her period of waiting (`Iddah), then the marriage is deemed valid and correct.

3) If her reversion to Islam occurs after the consummation of marriage, and the period of waiting expires, she is allowed to wait for him to embrace Islam even if that period happens to be a lengthy one. Once he does so and reverts to Islam, then their marriage is deemed valid and correct.

4) If the wife chooses to marry another man after the expiration of the period of waiting, she must first request a dissolution of marriage through legal channels.

Fourth: According to the four main schools of jurisprudence, it is forbidden for the wife to remain with her husband, or indeed to allow him conjugal rights, once her period of waiting has expired. However, some scholars see that it is for her to remain with him, allowing him to enjoy full conjugal rights, if he does not prevent her from exercising her religion and she has hope in him to revert to Islam.

The reason for this is to consider the case of women who would find it difficult to embrace Islam with the condition of being separated from their husbands and deserting their families. Those scholars based their view upon the ruling of `Umar ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, in the case of the woman from Al-Heera who reverted to Islam while her husband remained on his religion.

According to the authentic narration of Yazeed ibn `Abdullah Al-Khatmi, `Umar ibn Al-Khattab made it optional for the woman to leave her husband or to stay with him. They also cite, in supporting their view, the opinion of `Ali ibn Abi Talib concerning the Christian woman who embraced Islam while still married to a Christian or a Jew. Ali said that her husband’s conjugal right was still inalienable, as he had a contract. This is also an authentic narration. It is also known that Ibrahim Al-Nakha`i, Ash-Shi`bi and Hammad ibn Abi Sulayman had the same view.​
I Want to Embrace Islam: But Can I Keep My Marriage? - Da`wah to Non- & New Muslims - counsels - OnIslam.net

Maija

I found this Fatwa interesting; issued by the European Council for Fatwa and Research, headed by the prominent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi:
...Third: If the wife reverts to Islam while her husband remains on his religion, the Council sees the following:

1) If her reversion to Islam occurs before the consummation of marriage, then they must immediately separate.

2) If her reversion to Islam occurs after the consummation of marriage, and the husband also embraced Islam before the expiry of her period of waiting (`Iddah), then the marriage is deemed valid and correct.

3) If her reversion to Islam occurs after the consummation of marriage, and the period of waiting expires, she is allowed to wait for him to embrace Islam even if that period happens to be a lengthy one. Once he does so and reverts to Islam, then their marriage is deemed valid and correct.

4) If the wife chooses to marry another man after the expiration of the period of waiting, she must first request a dissolution of marriage through legal channels.

Fourth: According to the four main schools of jurisprudence, it is forbidden for the wife to remain with her husband, or indeed to allow him conjugal rights, once her period of waiting has expired. However, some scholars see that it is for her to remain with him, allowing him to enjoy full conjugal rights, if he does not prevent her from exercising her religion and she has hope in him to revert to Islam.

The reason for this is to consider the case of women who would find it difficult to embrace Islam with the condition of being separated from their husbands and deserting their families. Those scholars based their view upon the ruling of `Umar ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, in the case of the woman from Al-Heera who reverted to Islam while her husband remained on his religion.

According to the authentic narration of Yazeed ibn `Abdullah Al-Khatmi, `Umar ibn Al-Khattab made it optional for the woman to leave her husband or to stay with him. They also cite, in supporting their view, the opinion of `Ali ibn Abi Talib concerning the Christian woman who embraced Islam while still married to a Christian or a Jew. Ali said that her husband’s conjugal right was still inalienable, as he had a contract. This is also an authentic narration. It is also known that Ibrahim Al-Nakha`i, Ash-Shi`bi and Hammad ibn Abi Sulayman had the same view.​
I Want to Embrace Islam: But Can I Keep My Marriage? - Da`wah to Non- & New Muslims - counsels - OnIslam.net

Masha'Allah, Allah (swt) has made our plight easy. This religion that gets a bad name as being unreasonable or difficult, upon examination has our best interests and needs in mind.

i will comment after work more inshallah, thank you so much for researching this, not only for me but for illykitty !

Last edited:

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
I would love to see replies about this because previously I have been told to wait for 3 months and then part ways. It took me years to accept Islam, how can I ask for my husband to do this in 3 months, when he's accepting of my decisions and not threatening to my faith?

If it is a sin, then I'm guilty of it. I would not want him to convert out of insincere reasons, like just to stay with me. Rather it be from his heart, after seeing how great Islam has been for me. Sure it's a harder road to take but if a woman has enough strenght then why not?

Edited. Forgot this isn't Islam DIR, this is under Sunni DIR.

Last edited:

Sahar

Rational Mind, I hope you can respect that this is a Sunni DIR. No need to turn this into a debate or attack. We can do this in other sections.

Maija

Exactly.

I agree on this one.

I am giving him as long as he needs, unless this affects our marriage too much and causes grief or a divide. I know that he is not a big fan of religion, :( and I think he has no stance on any of it, perhaps it's easier to start with and work with than him having a stance that he is Christian and Islam being a threat --- :shrug: I am trying to see any positive things that might benefit our case.

There was a comment from him about how things escalate with me on religion and me one day wearing hijab, I didn't deny it, inshalllah Allah (swt) will give us both strength and protect our union.

He has been so patient mashallah.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Exactly.

I agree on this one.

I am giving him as long as he needs, unless this affects our marriage too much and causes grief or a divide. I know that he is not a big fan of religion, :( and I think he has no stance on any of it, perhaps it's easier to start with and work with than him having a stance that he is Christian and Islam being a threat --- :shrug: I am trying to see any positive things that might benefit our case.

There was a comment from him about how things escalate with me on religion and me one day wearing hijab, I didn't deny it, inshalllah Allah (swt) will give us both strength and protect our union.

He has been so patient mashallah.

Exactly, that is my position. Unless he opposes me and it causes big issues, then there's no reason for me to divorce. He isn't a fan of religion either. He is a monotheist but doesn't hold any beliefs. But you have to keep in mind, people change.

I had a period of time of being an atheist, and Alhamdulillah, I was given the chance to change, I presume because Allah (swt) knew that I would. However, I am not Allah, I don't know what my husband will decide to do. The only thing I can do, is hope and not presume that he will never change, unless he becomes a threat to my faith.

I'd rather think that someone can change, time given and patience most importantly, than thinking that change isn't going to happen. Benefit of the doubt in other words or thinking the best out of someone instead of the worse. (And I'm a glass half empty sort of person usually!)

I had arguments before (not a fight) but I remember on an occasion he reminded me to wear the hijab (because I was trying it out). So IDK, maybe there's some hope. He might be guided someday, Insha'Allah.

But yes, let's be grateful for our husbands putting up with our constant changes! :D

Maija

I had arguments before (not a fight) but I remember on an occasion he reminded me to wear the hijab (because I was trying it out). So IDK, maybe there's some hope. He might be guided someday, Insha'Allah.

But yes, let's be grateful for our husbands putting up with our constant changes!

@ the bolded- I must say Mashallah and remind myself not to get jealous.
:shout
He is a good man.

I am grateful,but not surprisingly these days have been filled with my happiness and his curiosity and questioning what I am doing, not in a way voicing disagreement but more a natural confusion.

It was hard to sit him down and say "I am going to be Muslim again,". instead I just said I will start praying again. I noticed we are both happier because when I get off of work, my energy and mood is not so depleted that I have little to talk about :facepalm:work has been difficult and I often mentally fatigued when I leave.

Anything however, could happen, he could decide that ultimately he doesn't want a wife who wears hijab, may Allah (swt) make me strong for any possibility- who knows. I am also keeping positive but trying to remain detached, its a combination of knowing- my prayers are always heard, Allah (swt) knows best and it is not my will be done but His.

May Islam as our pillar, help stabilize us and prepare us for any resulting action. Ameen.

Sahar

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am sure I can learn from them as well.

Just take it step by step and I wish you, sweet sisters, all happiness. :) Keep us updated!

Maija

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am sure I can learn from them as well.

Just take it step by step and I wish you, sweet sisters, all happiness. :) Keep us updated!

You are so lucky to be in Egypt, land of many muslimahs. :group: I was in Egypt a few years ago, I absolutely LOVED it :p

I guess the one thing about reverts/muslims is that they stick together, so ideally all I need to find is one sister, find and keep good company.

:flower2: Prophet Muhammad (saws) said: “The example of a good companion and a bad companion is like that of the seller of musk, and the one who blows the blacksmith’s bellows.. So as for the seller of musk then either he will grant you some, or you buy some from him, or at least you enjoy a pleasant smell from him. As for the one who blows the blacksmith’s bellows then either he will burn your clothes or you will get an offensive smell from him.” :flower2:

Sahar, BarakAllah fi ! you are so kind. IllyKitty and I are in good hands, whatever struggles we have - we shall remember that we are not given more burden than we can bare and I have heard that Allah (swt) enjoys hearing the supplications of his servants,

:islam:

Monotheist 101

Best of Luck to All you Ladies..
God is the Most Merciful and He is aware of every single aspect of his creation..even that concealed in the Heart..If you have good intentions and place your trust in Him..I have complete faith that he will guide you, May you find all the answers you look for in Islam :)

I know I'm not Sunni..but the part of me that is Sunni thought I should drop by and wish you guys the best..

Sahar..we need more knowledgeable muslim women like you in Australia..Good representatives of Islam :)

Last edited:

dynavert2012

congratulations sister

for sure there's a hope to enter the paradise and to be with Allah in the heaven to see his face and to drink from the hand of our prophet, may Allah gather all of us there

Allah said "And those who do not invoke with Allah another deity or kill the soul which Allah has forbidden [to be killed], except by right, and do not commit unlawful sexual intercourse. And whoever should do that will meet a penalty., Multiplied for him is the punishment on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein humiliated , Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful." 25:68-70
you already repent in this life, so all of your sins will be converted to good deeds "hasanat" be optimistic

and said "Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.",
and the prophet said Allah the Exalted said, `O son of Adam! If you mention Me to yourself, I will mention you to Myself. If you mention Me in a gathering, I will mention you in a gathering of the angels (or said in a better gathering). If you draw closer to Me by a hand span, I will draw closer to you by forearm's length. If you draw closer to Me by a forearm's length, I will draw closer to you by an arm's length. And if you come to Me walking, I will come to you running).

so as you are walking to him, he's running to you :)

just remind us in your prayer

Maija

congratulations sister

for sure there's a hope to enter the paradise and to be with Allah in the heaven to see his face and to drink from the hand of our prophet, may Allah gather all of us there

Allah said "And those who do not invoke with Allah another deity or kill the soul which Allah has forbidden [to be killed], except by right, and do not commit unlawful sexual intercourse. And whoever should do that will meet a penalty., Multiplied for him is the punishment on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein humiliated , Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful." 25:68-70
you already repent in this life, so all of your sins will be converted to good deeds "hasanat" be optimistic

and said "Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.",
and the prophet said Allah the Exalted said, `O son of Adam! If you mention Me to yourself, I will mention you to Myself. If you mention Me in a gathering, I will mention you in a gathering of the angels (or said in a better gathering). If you draw closer to Me by a hand span, I will draw closer to you by forearm's length. If you draw closer to Me by a forearm's length, I will draw closer to you by an arm's length. And if you come to Me walking, I will come to you running).

so as you are walking to him, he's running to you :)

just remind us in your prayer
That is beautiful ! :) Mashallah, that really touched me and made me want teary!the love that Allah (swt) has for us is truly amazing, Alhamdulillahi rabbil 'alameen.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such beautiful passages with us :)

loverOfTruth

Assalamu Alaykum sisters and brothers,

After a few years of being without Islam and praying for an answer, i am coming back to Islam. I prayed for God to give me an answer, nothing like a dream or a sign except for the previous beliefs i held-without getting into them, no longer make sense. I can no longer make my beliefs up as I go along when Alhamdulilah Islam has defined that answer. i miss so much my hijab, the Muslim Ummah, my solid prayer routine- falling asleep knowing I have remembered God 5x with salah...i am hoping my husband, if i lead a good enough example as a happy and hard working wife, will see this and come to Islam too..Allahu Alam..Please make dua for me to keep strong and most importantly for forgiveness of my sins. I fear I commited shirk in associating with other religions- if i did, with coming to Islam is there hope for me to see Jannah if i follow Gods command from now?

Salaam and Congratulations.

"...and never give up hope of Allah's(God's) Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's(God's) Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith." (Al Qur'an 12:87)

That is the essence of worshiping the Creator. Making mistakes is not a problem, giving up hope in Allah's (swt) mercy is the REAL problem.

"If any one does evil or wrongs his own soul but afterwards seeks Allah's(God's) forgiveness, he will find Allah Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful." (Al Qur'an 4:110)

Allah(swt) never breaks His promise.