• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comfirmation Bias

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
59e7bcf8ddd0631c1e8b4df5-750-375.png

Confirmation Bias

I found this article a bit interesting. It's not religious and applies to anyone with deep seeded belief, morals, political stances family values, and so forth that we believe are ingrained in us rather than a form of confirmation bias. What is interesting is when you think "this does not apply to me" before taking another breathe to read it objectively, you displayed confirmation bias. If you think that this post is just like all other Carlita's posts, confirmation bias. Anyway, interesting topic especially in regards to religion. Who can have a conversation when their beliefs etc are challanged in their minds.

Talk on...

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Long term it's a hopeful sign that we're coming to understand the role confirmation bias has.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I was thinking the same thing today at fishing. These fish have confirmation bias, if only they had read Carlita's post I would be catching all the fish.

David T

Premium Member
59e7bcf8ddd0631c1e8b4df5-750-375.png

Confirmation Bias

I found this article a bit interesting. It's not religious and applies to anyone with deep seeded belief, morals, political stances family values, and so forth that we believe are ingrained in us rather than a form of confirmation bias. What is interesting is when you think "this does not apply to me" before taking another breathe to read it objectively, you displayed confirmation bias. If you think that this post is just like all other Carlita's posts, confirmation bias. Anyway, interesting topic especially in regards to religion. Who can have a conversation when their beliefs etc are challanged in their minds.

Talk on...
Read my piece on emperical proof the compatibility of religion science. I call the outcome liber canis. It's so scientific sounding btw.!!!

David T

Premium Member
Long term it's a hopeful sign that we're coming to understand the role confirmation bias has.
Yes, and then we will go "we really understand they were stupid we r smart" and off to the loony tune dance we go. That seems to be a popular tune btw. Has a sort of rhythm to it, each verse different but the same melody!!!

There are numerous cognitive functions and powerful psychological forces that profoundly influence all of us in ways that make us far less rational than we actually believe we are. Confirmation bias is merely one of these.

We vastly overestimate the degree to which our viewpoints are held based on facts, evidence and critical reasoning. This doesn't rule out that we can sometimes be reasonably rational, but over the totality of out views we are all pretty irrational.

That's why I hold the belief that only an irrational person can consider themselves to be a Rationalist.

Some people try harder than others and are more cognitively capable, but no one can actually override their normal cognitive functioning on a truly consistent basis. We certainly didn't evolve to be particularly concerned with abstract qualities of 'truth'.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It occurs to me that "confirmation bias" is in some sense a psychological way of framing the fact that we all weave our own life stories in ways that are meaningful for us. The specific epithet of our species is, and always has been, a total misnomer. Humans are not Homo sapiens, they are Homo religio - story weavers and tale spinners. Verbiage like "confirmation bias" however makes this sound like a bad thing. I'm not a fan of such value judgements on these things, but if I had to make one, I'd say it's only bad when folks don't mind their stories. The culture I find myself surrounded by seems to have a poor appreciation of story and the power or narrative/mythos. More often than not, folks do not mind their stories.

The culture I find myself surrounded by seems to have a poor appreciation of story and the power of narrative/mythos.

Myths are what other people believe when they are wrong about stuff and want an emotional comfort blanket because they are weak. Mine don't count as myths because I'm right and in no way could be considered an emotional comfort blanket because those are only for children and silly weak people and I am neither.

*clown emoji*

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Myths are what other people believe when they are wrong about stuff and want an emotional comfort blanket because they are weak. Mine don't count as myths because I'm right and in no way could be considered an emotional comfort blanket because those are only for children and silly weak people and I am neither.

*clown emoji*

Yeah, American culture is full of some rather questionable narratives. A few that play into stories like this:

• Emotions are bad. Intuition is bad, feelings are bad... basically anything that isn't "reason" is bad.
  • Hedonism is bad. If it makes you feel good, it is bad. Pleasure is bad. Happiness and comfort are bad.
  • Myth means falsehood. It means a lie, an untruth. And that is bad too.
Quite the dysfunctional patient we have to deal with here, yeah? One of the things I like about Paganisms is that they respect mythos, don't demonize emotion, and don't demonize personal pleasure and happiness. :sweat:

But hey, I'm biased. :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
By George, I think you've just answered the age old question: What is the purpose of life?

How so?

I tend to keep it simple when it comes to answering that particular question, and the answer doesn't particularly emerge from what I wrote up there... haha.