• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold Thai Pongal

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Tomorrow is Thai Pongal. We're currently at -36C, tonight it's supposed to set records at -45 or so, and tomorrow, starting at 8:30, Thai Pongal goes on. Mainly it consists of starting a fire outside, and boiling a pot of 'pongal' (a mix of grains) over to ensure good harvests. The priest then comes out and does a brief sun puja. So it will be interesting for sure. Hopefully the priest can chant really fast, if he indeed goes out. The young male devotees will handle the pot part, if they dress warmly, which means a lot. It's been cold before for this festival, but never THIS cold. Maybe they'll cancel it or move it inside. We shall see.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Tomorrow is Thai Pongal. We're currently at -36C, tonight it's supposed to set records at -45 or so, and tomorrow, starting at 8:30, Thai Pongal goes on. Mainly it consists of starting a fire outside, and boiling a pot of 'pongal' (a mix of grains) over to ensure good harvests. The priest then comes out and does a brief sun puja. So it will be interesting for sure. Hopefully the priest can chant really fast, if he indeed goes out. The young male devotees will handle the pot part, if they dress warmly, which means a lot. It's been cold before for this festival, but never THIS cold. Maybe they'll cancel it or move it inside. We shall see.
That is really, really cold.

Could it be moved inside? How big is the pot?

Last year we didn't get to go to Holi because of snow. We planned for the day, husband took the day off, and they moved it. He needs to put in for time off three weeks in advance, so we missed it that year(Ares was not happy).

Weather stinks sometimes.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Tomorrow is Thai Pongal. We're currently at -36C, tonight it's supposed to set records at -45 or so, and tomorrow, starting at 8:30, Thai Pongal goes on.

When I was still in Texas almost three years ago when the infamous freeze occurred, the temperature went down to -17 Celsius, and even lower. We had no electricity, so no heating. While I was indoors, it was so cold that it felt like a block of ice was pressed against my face. It was really uncomfortable. So, when I read that it is -36 Celsius there, I am utterly astonished at how cold that must feel.

Anyway, Happy Thai Pongal to you, yours, and your temple community. I hope the days following it are filled with infinite blessings.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Blessings of Pongal to all. We celebrated Lohri yesterday. Daughter, son-in-law, grand daugher and her (Roman Catholic) husband, and us, all were there except my elder grandson, who is in Odisha for studies. Lohri is not really a Kashmiri festival, it is a Punjabi festival, but Delhi is partly Punjab now. Our festival of winter is 'Khich Mavas' (Kedgeree New Moon) which we celebrated a few days ago (also my wife's birthday by Hindu calendar). We worship 'Yaksha', the spirit of winter with a piece of cotton for his cap. Coldest morning in Delhi yesterday 3.6 C.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I got chilled just thinking about it. I hope it turns out well. Sadly, adverse conditions distract from the meaning of any event. Sort of like trying to drain a swamp when you’re up to your armpits with hungry alligators. May Lord Sūrya step in and turn up the heat. oṁ sūryadevāya namaḥ

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is really, really cold.

Could it be moved inside? How big is the pot?

Last year we didn't get to go to Holi because of snow. We planned for the day, husband took the day off, and they moved it. He needs to put in for time off three weeks in advance, so we missed it that year(Ares was not happy).

Weather stinks sometimes.
The pot is about 3 gallons. It's normally a home festival, but many years ago our group thought it would be more fun to do it together.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I got chilled just thinking about it. I hope it turns out well. Sadly, adverse conditions distract from the meaning of any event. Sort of like trying to drain a swamp when you’re up to your armpits with hungry alligators. May Lord Sūrya step in and turn up the heat. oṁ sūryadevāya namaḥ
At -20 it's kind of fun. All the scaredy-cats like me peek out the front windows to see the really tough macho men stirring the pot. The communal part is that each devotee, in turn, puts some grain, from cupped hands, into the pot. It is considered auspicious for the first boiling milk/mixture flows over the edge towards the sun, so they purposely tilt it a bit in that direction. Poor Sun is at about 5 degrees above the horizon at that time.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So it went fairly well. A tiny group of 3 men stoked the fire, and the priest did the sun worship etc. bit from inside with the door open for about 5 seconds. Our second priest is currently in Sydney Australia helping at a kumbhabhishekham. He's a bit warmer, but still not warm for Sydney ... maybe +23 C. I spoke with his wife, she said she wished she was there.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindus celebrating Makar Sankranti today. Bath in sacred rivers and water bodies, especially the new destination - Sarayu in Ayodhya. The Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister offered Kichri (Kedgeree) to Saint Gorakhnath (Gorakshanath - defender of cows), who established the Gorakhnath Mutt in Gorakhpur. Gorakhnath is hugely respected in Nepal sand we are getting a large number of pilgrims from Nepal. Poor too, not just the rich. After all, Janakpur in Nepal is where Mother Sita was born (Mithila, King Janak's kingdom). King Janak is considered an enlightened person in Hibduism.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
PTI01-15-2023-000028A-0_1673765665404_1673765665404_1673765683087_1673765683087.jpg
PTI01-15-2023-000016A-0_1673763610378_1673763610378_1673763621828_1673763621828.jpg

makar-sankranti-2024-best-travel-destination-know-here.jpg
1705242045New%20Project%20(10).jpg

Jaipur Kite Festival 2024, there was a similar one in Ahmedabad. Lt. Governor of Delhi trying his hand at kite flying.
Kite flying is considered auspicious on Sankranti, just as token gambling on Diwali.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
However, kite flying killed at least three people. Some people use Chinese thread which is very strong and sharp. When people are going on bikes, it slashes at the neck. It is illegal to sell or use that thread, but getting the culprit (the seller or the kite flyer) is impossible. At lest for now, government should ban kite flying.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The rituals at the Ayodhya temple have started. Today's ritual was 'prayaschitta' (penance for any bad deeds that Anil Mishra, the chief host may have done). He is a member of the Rama Janmabhoomi Trust. He is the chief host of the ceremonies and not Narendra Modi. Being the host (Yajamana) requires hours of performing the rites each day (Jan 17 to 22) and Modi would not have all that time.

Lord Rama's idol in a black stone as a five-year old child has been selected, and tomorrow it will be shown to people.
I will post it as soon as the first image is available. The idols being shown on internet are representations only and not the one that has been selected.
The 108 ft long, 3,600 kg, USD 6,000, incense stick has been brought to Ayodhya and has been kindled. How, I do not know. It is likely to last 21 days.
Please note that the Ayodhya temple has not been built by government money. It has been built with public donations. Of course, government has spent money for infrastructure development.

PTI01-16-2024-000079A-0_1705393598261_1705393642475.jpg
PTI01-16-2024-000054B-0_1705393598411_1705394035197.jpg

If you want to know what is happening in India, search Youtube with words like 'Ayodhya', 'Pran Pratishtha', 'Ram lala', etc. There will be hundreds of videos. Select those from English News Sites. There are many reliable sites which carry live telecasts (note the time difference).

Last edited:

ajay0

Wishing you a happy and prosperous Makar Sakranti and Thai Pongal, Jainarayan. :)

May this festival end the streak of inauspiciousness in your life and bring auspiciousness, wisdom and prosperity instead. :rose:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Happy Pongal wishes, albeit belated to all.

After 30 years of celebrating Pongal in the US, I realized this time that I need that brass pot traditionally used for cooking Pongal. Therefore it is on my wish list for things to get in India, next time I visit.
1705501939788.png

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Happy Pongal wishes, albeit belated to all.

After 30 years of celebrating Pongal in the US, I realized this time that I need that brass pot traditionally used for cooking Pongal. Therefore it is on my wish list for things to get in India, next time I visit. View attachment 87095
You can cook it in an earthen pot if that is available at your place or from Amazon. Pongal is celebrated by all communities in Tamilnadu and Kerala. My grand daughter's in-laws who are Roman Catholics celebrated it.

pongal_200_expess-photo-prashant-nadkar.jpg