• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COL 2:16 And The Sabbath - Are You Being Told The Truth?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
by trying to argue that 2 TIMOTHY 3:16 is in reference only to the Old testament scriptures. This is not biblical
Of course it is. I wouldn’t have posted it otherwise.
When God's Word says ALL SCRIPTURE it is including the teachings of JESUS and the Apostles
Nope. Only includes what the writer of Timothy knew at the time to be scripture. Sorry; you’re wrong here.

Wrong! According to the scriptures the Church are all those who believe and follow God's Word (the scriptures
I don’t see the problem. The Holy Catholic Church does just that.

Ebionite

When God's Word says ALL SCRIPTURE it is including the teachings of JESUS and the Apostles :)
You're conflating prophetic insight with an expansive interpretation of what Paul wrote about text that was already written when he wrote about it. "God's Word" might as well mean "my interpretation of religious text that I like".

3rdAngel

That was Isaiah. You’re not Isaiah. And Isaiah wasn’t a Christian. No one has appointed you to be a prophet. Your posts are a reed shaking in the wind.

My words are built on solid rock sifting sand. The reason you do not hear God's Word is also from ISAIAH when he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear you indeed, but understand not; and see you indeed, but perceive not. Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed. Who makes me what is not up to you. I only share God's Word to you but you do not believe them.

For me, he must increase and I must decrease. I only point all to the Word of God because it is there we find the one who loves us that we may love him. I know him and am known by him. All that he shows me I see and must show to all because I am blind. He tells me it is those that say they see that do not see. These are they that have once known him or do not know him. There is only life in the living Word.

These are his Words and not my own. Freely I give because freely I have received. I must speak in the light and what I hear preach in the housetops. Many will not hear because they do not know Him. He is the Word of God and those that believe him are those that he has chosen. They follow him because they love him and are loved by him. Many are called but few are chosen. There is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed come judgment day.

3rdAngel

Matthew doesn’t do the whole “worship God in spirit and in truth” schtick. That’s John’s gig.

SOOO your point is what? Throw out the Gospel of John and only cherry pick scripture that agrees with you when the scriptures teach man does not live by bread alone but by EVERY WORD that proceeds out of the mouth of God? If God's Word says ALL SCRIPTURE and EVERY WORD I believe it and so should you :)

Last edited:

3rdAngel

You're conflating prophetic insight with an expansive interpretation of what Paul wrote about text that was already written when he wrote about it. "God's Word" might as well mean "my interpretation of religious text that I like".
Nonsense Theo. Are you trying to say that the teachings and JESUS and the Apostles (New Testament scriptures) are not inspired by God? When the scriptures say ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God? All scripture is all scripture according to 2 TIMOTHY 3:16. It is God's Word and I believe it. How about you? :)

3rdAngel

3rdAngel said: by trying to argue that 2 TIMOTHY 3:16 is in reference only to the Old testament scriptures. This is not biblical
Your response...
Of course it is. I wouldn’t have posted it otherwise.

You did. Your trying to argue that 2 TIMOTHY 3:16 which says ALL SCRIPTURES IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD.... does not include the scriptures of the new testament teachings of JESUS and the APOSTLES.

* If you disagree do you believe that the scriptures of the New Testament are inspirted by God?

You have dug a deep hole for yourself. If you say yes your disagreeing with your claims in relation to ALL SCRIPTURE only being true to the OLD Testament scriptures. If you say no then your saying the very teachings of JESUS and the Apostles are not the inspired words of God. Can you see your error here?

May you receive God's Word and be blessed, ignoring it does not make it disappear :).

rstrats

3rdAngel,

You define scripture as being sacred writings contained in the Bible (post #1043). So I ask again, how do you know which writings are scripture, i.e., sacred writings, and which are not? And are all translations/versions equal with regard to sacred writings?

sojourner

The reason you do not hear God's Word
You're not in a position to know what I do or do not hear. In fact, I do listen; it's a major part of my job to listen to God.

Who makes me what is not up to you. I only share God's Word to you but you do not believe them.
It kind of is; I'm a duly recognized and authorized church leader. It is the church -- the Body of Christ -- who recognizes God's call, alongside the individual's discernment of call. Because it's not only the individual who's called, but the church is called too. Ministry isn't a "me 'n God" thing. It's a community thing. And the community has to discern the call, as well as the individual.

Your second sentence: You are sharing your interpretation of what you read. It's your interpretation I have a problem with -- not the texts, themselves.

These are his Words and not my own.
See above. This is all your interpretation.

SOOO your point is what? Throw out the Gospel of John and only cherry pick scripture that agrees with you
My point is that you pointed me to Matthew when you wrote "...worship in spirit and truth." My point is that you're so mushing the various messages of the texts that you can't even get the sources straight. Sure, use all the texts, but use them properly. That is, don't conflate the individual messages and twist them into some overarching "story" or "single message" that just isn't there, except in your own mind.

If God's Word says ALL SCRIPTURE and EVERY WORD I believe it and so should you
Paul said that "all scripture is profitable...," not God. And Paul only understood the Hebrew texts to be "scripture," so that's what Paul was referring to -- not the "whole bible," as we know it. This is a glaring case of your interpretation of what's being said getting in the way of what's actually being said. You're not exegeting the texts.

God's Word is not false it is the truth but you do not believe them.
This is another case of your own confusion (or willful misdirection). You said that you spoke "only the scriptures." But you haven't spoken "only the scriptures." You've added your own commentary -- especially where the RCC is concerned. That was what I responded to with my "false."

And please stop accusing me of 1) not listening and 2) not believing.

sojourner

Your trying to argue that 2 TIMOTHY 3:16 which says ALL SCRIPTURES IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD.... does not include the scriptures of the new testament teachings of JESUS and the APOSTLES.
Correct. The sentiment of the passage does not include the NT texts.

If you disagree do you believe that the scriptures of the New Testament are inspirted by God?
Of course I do -- I wouldn't be in the position I am if I didn't. What I'm disagreeing with is your misuse of the passage in order to validate the NT texts. What you apparently don't understand is that your validation isn't necessary or asked for.

You have dug a deep hole for yourself.
You forgot the third option, which I laid out above. ^^^

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe according to the scriptures God's law has not gone away. It is fulfilled in the life of the believer by faith in the power of God's Word.

As Paul says....

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yes, we establish the law.

and again....

ROMANS 8:1-4 [1], There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. [2], For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. [3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: [4], That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

God's law is fulfilled in the life of the believer through faith in God's Word by the new covenant promise of a new heart to love *EZEKIEL 11:19; JEREMIAHJ 31:31-34; HEBREWS 8:10-12. Paul expressed it here...

ROMANS 13:8-10 [8], Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. [9], For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. [10], Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

The purpose of God's Law (10 Commandments) is to give us the knowledge of good and evil; sin and rightesouness * ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7. and to lead us to the cross of Christ that we might be forgiven through faith in God's Word GALATIANS 3:22-25 and be free to walk in God's Spirit *GALATIANS 5:16.

There are many more scriptures that prove the above. You may have notices here I have only quoted Paul's writings.

Nice to see you Muffled.

I believe that is not true. I believe this scripture is true:
Matt 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.