• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COL 2:16 And The Sabbath - Are You Being Told The Truth?

3rdAngel

You are obviously knowledgeable and very interested. You would probably get a lot out of reading the Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein.

Before the 1970s archaeologists used the Bible and a spade to PROVE the Bible.

Since then they let the archaeology speak for itself.

Archeology and also history from the right sources proves the bible true. It is quite amazing and one of the reasons I became a Christian.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The hour is coming and now is however that God is calling his people wherever they may be OUT FROM FOLLOWING THE TEACHINGS AND TRADITIONS OF MEN back to the pure words of GOD alone.
If you think the biblical texts are the “pure words of God alone,” then you’re misrepresenting what the texts are, and there’s no use debating with you.

You’re completely glossing over the fact that Paul had it out with James and the Judaic Christians in Jerusalem over whether Christian converts had to become Jews. They (the apostles) concluded that it was not necessary. Since Gentiles don’t observe the Sabbath, there’s no need for non-Jewish Christians to observe the Sabbath. Gentile Christians are not subject to the Levitican code.

3rdAngel

If you think the biblical texts are the “pure words of God alone,” then you’re misrepresenting what the texts are, and there’s no use debating with you. You’re completely glossing over the fact that Paul had it out with James and the Judaic Christians in Jerusalem over whether Christian converts had to become Jews. They (the apostles) concluded that it was not necessary. Since Gentiles don’t observe the Sabbath, there’s no need for non-Jewish Christians to observe the Sabbath. Gentile Christians are not subject to the Levitican code.

It is because I believe the scriptures are the Word of God that I share the scriptures with you. If you do not believe and follow God's Word than it is you who is misprepresenting the scriptures and the Word of God because you do not believe them. You have only been provided God's Word and God's Word is not my words but God's Word so your argument is with God not me. What is it in the scriptures that have been provided here that you claim are not God's Word? If you cannot prove your claims through the scripture why do you not believe God's Word? According to the new testament scripture God's ISRAEL are all those who believe and follow God's Word there are no more JEWS or Greeks *EPHESIANS 2:11-13; GALATIANS 3:28-29; ROMANS 9:6-8; ROMANS 2:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13. If you are not a part of God's ISRAEL you have no part in the new covenant promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12. Gentiles are grafted in *ROMANS 11:13-27. Sin is the transgression of God's Law *1 JOHN 3:4. If we break any one of God's 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11. God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *ROMANS 3:20 and if we break it just like any of the other commandments we stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11 and need to seek him in repentance and forgiveness PROVERBS 28:13; 1 JOHN 1:9. There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says God's 4th commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. This is a teaching and tradition of men that JESUS warns us about in MATTHEW 15:3-9. In times of ignorance God winks at *ACTS 17:30-31but If we continue in known unrepentant sin after we have been given a knowledge of the truth there remains no more sacrifice for sin but a fearful looking forward to of the judgment to come *HEBREWS 10:26-39. The wages of sin is death to all those who reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23

May God help you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:

sojourner

If you do not believe and follow God's Word than it is you who is misprepresenting the scriptures and the Word of God because you do not believe them
Who said I didn’t believe them? I merely claim that they are the words of people.
Please provide empirical and unbiased evidence that God wrote anything. There is plenty of evidence that people have written things.

You have only been provided God's Word and God's Word is not my words but God's Word so your argument is with God not me
I have been provided with a highly biased and unfounded opinion. So my argument IS with you who provided that opinion.
What is it in the scriptures that have been provided here that you claim are not God's Word
Again, show me where God picked up a pen and a completed literary work fell out of the sky.

According to the new testament scripture God's ISRAEL are all those who believe and follow God's Word there are no more JEWS or Greeks *EPHESIANS 2:11-13; GALATIANS 3:28-29; ROMANS 9:6-8; ROMANS 2:28-29; COLOSSIANS 3:11; ROMANS 10:11-13. If you are not a part of God's ISRAEL you have no part in the new covenant promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12. Gentiles are grafted in *ROMANS 11:13-27. Sin is the transgression of God's Law *1 JOHN 3:4. If we break any one of God's 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11. God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *ROMANS 3:20 and if we break it just like any of the other commandments we stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11 and need to seek him in repentance and forgiveness PROVERBS 28:13; 1 JOHN 1:9.
Proof-texting is the literalist’s fallacy. So, if no Jews, no Levitican Law. Thanks for proving my point.

3rdAngel

Who said I didn’t believe them? I merely claim that they are the words of people.
Your contradicting yourself. Your actually saying you do not believe God's Word by writing that they are the words of people and not of God. Your own words testify against you.
Please provide empirical and unbiased evidence that God wrote anything. There is plenty of evidence that people have written things.
You have been provided empirical and unbiased evidence. God's Word is not mine but God's. In response you provide your words which are not God's but yours so it is your words that are not empirical and unbiased as you testify of yourself with your own words which are not God's Word but your words.
I have been provided with a highly biased and unfounded opinion. So my argument IS with you who provided that opinion.
Not really, you have been provded God's Word and you do not believe them, so your argument is with God not me.
Again, show me where God picked up a pen and a completed literary work fell out of the sky.
If I do will you believe God's Word? *EXODUS 32:16
Proof-texting is the literalist’s fallacy. So, if no Jews, no Levitican Law. Thanks for proving my point.
There you go thank you for proving my point. Your arguement is with God not me. The natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness to him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. How can you know God when you do not know God's Word?

Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:

sojourner

Your contradicting yourself. Your actually saying you do not believe God's Word by writing that they are the words of people and not of God. Your own words testify against you.
No, I’m not. I believe in the truths contained in the texts. Whether those words are God’s words is what is up for debate. You made the claim; you need to provide the evidence for that claim.

You have been provided empirical and unbiased evidence. God's Word is not mine but God's
What evidence? You claim that these are God’s words. I claim they are not. You’ve read and (I’m assuming) legitimately studied the Bible. I have read and legitimately studied the Bible. We have authors for a few texts, such as Paul. Paul was a human being, not God. I see absolutely no evidence that these are God’s words. 0 evidence that God put pen to paper. 0.
Not really, you have been provded God's Word
I’ve been provided with a collection of ancient texts. You claim that God wrote them. I claim that God did not. The available evidence is on my side.

If I do will you believe God's Word? *EXODUS 32:16
That’s a mythic story with no basis in fact, and any bible scholar with a brain stem knows it. I call habeas corpus. Show me the tablets, along with verifiable video of God writing them, and you’ll have a case. Otherwise, it’s merely opinion without basis in fact.

How can you know God when you do not know God's Word
People knew God long before there was a Bible.

3rdAngel

No, I’m not. I believe in the truths contained in the texts. Whether those words are God’s words is what is up for debate. You made the claim; you need to provide the evidence for that claim.
You are indeed contradicting yourself. You are the one that wrote...
sojourner said: Who said I didn’t believe them? I merely claim that they are the words of people.
If you believed that the scriptures were God's Word than you would believe what the scriptures teach..

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness and again Matthew 4:4 Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

Your the one saying you believe the scriptures and at the same time saying that it is not God's Word not me. This is yout contradicting. Maybe you cannot see it. You either believe what the scriptures say or you do not. It seems you do not but say you do.
What evidence? You claim that these are God’s words. I claim they are not. You’ve read and (I’m assuming) legitimately studied the Bible. I have read and legitimately studied the Bible. We have authors for a few texts, such as Paul. Paul was a human being, not God. I see absolutely no evidence that these are God’s words. 0 evidence that God put pen to paper. 0. I’ve been provided with a collection of ancient texts. You claim that God wrote them. I claim that God did not. The available evidence is on my side.
Thankyou for proving my point. Your contradicting yourself. History and archeology proves the bible as God's Word. If it were the teachings of men there would be no fulfilled prophecies. Men cannot tell the future of our world. Everything in the new testament scriptures come from the old testament scripture which are prophecies in themselves that are fulfilled in the new covenant. Together both the old and new testament scriptures are the two great witnesses that point to JESUS as the Messiah and God's plan of salvation for mankind. Man cannot heal the sick and raise the dead in the scriptures you claim to believe but do not. There are over 8000 prophecies in the old and new testament that have or are being fulfilled everyday that prove God's Word true. Plently of evidence I would say. Yet here you are today closing your eyes and ears to the evidence in God's Word because you say in your heart there is no God. I would say to you that your have zero evidence for your claims that the scriptures are not God's Word. Where is the evidence that you claim to have that the scriptures are not God's Word? Yep you have provided none because you do not have any. You have only provided your opinion. I would say the evidence is on my side and you do not have any. If you believed God's Word as you claim we would not be having this conversation.
That’s a mythic story with no basis in fact, and any bible scholar with a brain stem knows it. I call habeas corpus. Show me the tablets, along with verifiable video of God writing them, and you’ll have a case. Otherwise, it’s merely opinion without basis in fact.
There you go proving my point again that your contradicting yourself saying you believe the scriptures and than calling them mythical stories. I would say to you prove your claims that Exodus 20 is a mythical story and there were never any tables of stone? You cannot can you. All you are providing is your own opinion because you do not believe God's Word that you claim you believe. If you do not believe God's Word how can you say you believe in God? - It sounds like you are confused as you are contradicting yourself.

May you receive God's Word and be blessed.

Last edited:

sojourner

If you believed that the scriptures were God's Word than you would believe what the scriptures teach..

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness and again Matthew 4:4 Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

Your the one saying you believe the scriptures and at the same time saying that it is not God's Word not me. This is yout contradicting. Maybe you cannot see it. You either believe what the scriptures say or you do not. It seems you do not but say you do.
Timothy doesn’t t claim that God wrote anything. He does claim the God inspired the writing. But that’s a different action.

History and archeology proves the bible as God's Word
Nope. Nothing in the archaeological record to corroborate the Exodus. Nothing.

Everything in the new testament scriptures come from the old testament scripture which are prophecies in themselves that are fulfilled in the new covenant
Tell that to a devout Jew.

Together both the old and new testament scriptures are the two great witnesses that point to JESUS as the Messiah and God's plan of salvation for mankind
See above.

Man cannot heal the sick and raise the dead in the scriptures you claim to believe but do not
I was at the hospital the other day and saw several people made well, and even a couple of resuscitations.

Where is the evidence that you claim to have that the scriptures are not God's Word
Th3 fact that the Bible never claims to have been written by God, and the fact that the texts, themselves did not appear for centuries after the time they convey. Added to that the obvious parallels between many biblical accounts and mythic writings from different religions that are much earlier than those in the Bible.

There you go proving my point again that your contradicting yourself saying you believe the scriptures and than calling them mythical stories
They are mythic stories. These myths contain truths (which is the very reason they’re classified by literary scholars as “myth.”)

. I would say to you prove your claims that Exodus 20 is a mythical story and there were never any tables of stone
Habeas corpus. Produce the tablets.

3rdAngel

Timothy doesn’t t claim that God wrote anything. He does claim the God inspired the writing. But that’s a different action.
Well that is not true. Timothy claims that all scripture is given by inspiration of God. Are you saying that the scriptures in Exodus 20 that Moses wrote are not from God when he says that God spoke and wrote the 10 commandments with his own finger *Exodus 20:1-17; Exodus 32:16?
Nope. Nothing in the archaeological record to corroborate the Exodus. Nothing.
Now if many of the things written in the bible have been proven by Archeology and some things have not been found through Archeology does that make the things in the bible that have not been found as yet not true? Of course not it only means that Archeology has not found it. Your argument is simply an argument in silence and does not prove that the Exodus is not true. Yet there is what many believe is Josephs tomb found in Egypt which supports the biblical acocunt on how the Israelites arrived in Egypt to begin with.
Tell that to a devout Jew.
No need to. I believe God's Word. Seems you do not.
I was at the hospital the other day and saw several people made well, and even a couple of resuscitations.
Raising the dead and healing the sick in the days of JESUS and the Apostles is not what any physician can do at that time or now. The ways of men are not the ways of God.
Th3 fact that the Bible never claims to have been written by God, and the fact that the texts, themselves did not appear for centuries after the time they convey. Added to that the obvious parallels between many biblical accounts and mythic writings from different religions that are much earlier than those in the Bible.
There you go again not believing the scriptures which you say you believe. Thankyou for proving my point. As posted earlier, men cannot tell the future of our world. There are over 8000 prophecies in the old and new testament that have or are being fulfilled everyday that prove God's Word true. Plently of evidence I would say. Yet here you are today closing your eyes and ears to the evidence in God's Word because you say in your heart there is no God. I would say to you that you have zero evidence for your claims that the scriptures are not God's Word. Where is the evidence that you claim to have that the scriptures are not God's Word? Yep you have provided none because you do not have any. You have only provided your opinion. I would say the evidence is on my side and you do not have any. If you believed God's Word as you claim we would not be having this conversation.
They are mythic stories. These myths contain truths (which is the very reason they’re classified by literary scholars as “myth.”) Habeas corpus. Produce the tablets.

There you go proving my point again that your contradicting yourself saying you believe the scriptures and than calling them mythical stories. I would say to you prove your claims that Exodus 20 is a mythical story and there were never any tables of stone? You cannot can you because your argument is simply an argument in silence. All you are providing is your own opinion not based on any fact. Yet there is over 8000 prophecies that have been fulfilled or are being fulfilled that both history and archeology prove are true. I do not follow literary scholars as they cannot even agree among themselves and the Jewish scholars were the ones that help to crucify the Messiah because they did not know the very scriptures that pointed to his coming. You are trying to argue the wisdom of men over the widom of God. The wisdom of men is foolishness with God.

May you receive God's Word and be blessed. Ignoring it does not make it disappear.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Not really. Everything in the new testament scriptures come from the Torah and the prophets. Together these are the two great witnesses that point to the Messiah (JESUS) who your fathers rejected and crucified on a tree. Hard to see what you do not want to see or hear what you do not want to hear. That is why you are still waiting in the airport and do not know that your plane has already departed.
No, your New Testament does not mesh with the Tanakh.

Let me ask you a question. Your gospel of Matthew quotes a prophecy that it attributes to Jeremiah:

Matthew 27:9-10
Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.”

Tell me, what is the chapter and verse in Jeremiah where this prophecy is located?????? I'll tell you. It doesn't exist. Matthew is WRONG.

Your gospels misquote the Tanakh and quote it out of context so much (and Matthew is the worst of them) that when Jews who know the Tanakh read them, it is the best argument why NOT to become a Christian. If you distort our beloved scriptures, why would we come to be baptized?

3rdAngel

No, your New Testament does not mesh with the Tanakh.
Sure it does. You simply do not believe it and that is why your still in an airport waiting for a plane that has already departed :).
Let me ask you a question. Your gospel of Matthew quotes a prophecy that it attributes to Jeremiah: Matthew 27:9-10 Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.” Tell me, what is the chapter and verse in Jeremiah where this prophecy is located?????? I'll tell you. It doesn't exist. Matthew is WRONG.
No problem. Jeremiah 32:6-10 describes Jeremiah being commanded by the LORD to buy a field with seventeen shekels of silver. It says:

Jeremiah 32:6-10 "And Jeremiah said, The word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Behold, Hanameel the son of Shallum thine uncle shall come unto thee, saying, Buy thee my field that is in Anathoth: for the right of redemption is thine to buy it. So Hanameel mine uncle's son came to me in the court of the prison according to the word of the LORD, and said unto me, Buy my field, I pray thee, that is in Anathoth, which is in the country of Benjamin: for the right of inheritance is thine, and the redemption is thine; buy it for thyself. Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD. And I bought the field of Hanameel my uncle's son, that was in Anathoth, and weighed him the money, even seventeen shekels of silver. And I subscribed the evidence, and sealed it, and took witnesses, and weighed him the money in the balances." Note Matthew 27:9-10 does not say "written" word it says "spoken" word. The text does not say how many pieces of silver in Jeremiah's day amounted to this seventeen shekels of silver. The amount may have equaled thirty pieces of silver in the days of Jesus. In any case, since only Jeremiah refers to a God-appointed purchase of a field, the reference to Jeremiah at Matthew 27:9-10 is certainly intentional and not an error as you claim. The text of Matthew 27:9-10 says "that which was "spoken", not "that which was written", so there is no need to look for the exact quotation in the book of Jeremiah. Jeremiah spoke the prophecy but did not write it. Zechariah then wrote Jeremiah's oral prophecy while omitting the reference to a field because that detail had already been described in Jeremiah 32:6-10.The words from Zechariah 11:12-13 are not the exact words recorded at Matthew 27:9-10. Zechariah does not mention the "children of Israel" and the "field". In fact, only Jeremiah mentions the "field" which is why it is not mentioned in Zechariah. Jeremiah 32:6-10 describes Jeremiah being commanded by the LORD to buy a field with seventeen shekels of silver that may be equal to the 30 pieces in the days of JESUS.
Your gospels misquote the Tanakh and quote it out of context so much (and Matthew is the worst of them) that when Jews who know the Tanakh read them, it is the best argument why NOT to become a Christian. If you distort our beloved scriptures, why would we come to be baptized?
Not really. That is simply your opinion and interpretation proven wrong as you fathers being keepers of the oracles of God did not believe the scriptures or understand them which is why they crucifed the very Messiah that the scriptures that they held pointed to. Time to leave the airport. Your plane has already departed.

Nice to see you again :)

IndigoChild5559

No problem. Jeremiah 32:6-10 describes Jeremiah being commanded by the LORD to buy a field with seventeen shekels of silver.
Bzzzzt!!! Sorry. NOT 30 pieces of silver. Therefore not the "prophecy." There is in fact NO prophecy of 30 pieces of silver in Jeremiah. So much for the honestly of your gospels. And you think I wanna come get baptized???? I think not.

Time to leave the airport. Your plane has already departed.
Your horrendous overuse of the same metaphor is like a scratched aka broken record, that plays the same thing over and over and over. Whatever value that portion of the record may have once had is simply lost in the irritation of the endless repeat.

I probably just dated myself!! LOL :)

sooda

Veteran Member
Note! The word “catholic” is quite often used as the name of the Roman Catholic church; however, this is not true. The Roman Catholic church is the particular church located in Rome. It is a PART of the catholic church and not THE catholic church. Also, Israel is not the church. Nor is the Church the “New Israel.” The church did not replace the nation of Israel either. More about this can be read in my article on “Why the Church is catholic or universal.

The holy catholic church - Apostles Creed

sooda

Veteran Member
Sure it does. You simply do not believe it and that is why your still in an airport waiting for a plane that has already departed :).

No problem. Jeremiah 32:6-10 describes Jeremiah being commanded by the LORD to buy a field with seventeen shekels of silver. It says:

Jeremiah 32:6-10 "And Jeremiah said, The word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Behold, Hanameel the son of Shallum thine uncle shall come unto thee, saying, Buy thee my field that is in Anathoth: for the right of redemption is thine to buy it. So Hanameel mine uncle's son came to me in the court of the prison according to the word of the LORD, and said unto me, Buy my field, I pray thee, that is in Anathoth, which is in the country of Benjamin: for the right of inheritance is thine, and the redemption is thine; buy it for thyself. Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD. And I bought the field of Hanameel my uncle's son, that was in Anathoth, and weighed him the money, even seventeen shekels of silver. And I subscribed the evidence, and sealed it, and took witnesses, and weighed him the money in the balances." Note Matthew 27:9-10 does not say "written" word it says "spoken" word. The text does not say how many pieces of silver in Jeremiah's day amounted to this seventeen shekels of silver. The amount may have equaled thirty pieces of silver in the days of Jesus. In any case, since only Jeremiah refers to a God-appointed purchase of a field, the reference to Jeremiah at Matthew 27:9-10 is certainly intentional and not an error as you claim. The text of Matthew 27:9-10 says "that which was "spoken", not "that which was written", so there is no need to look for the exact quotation in the book of Jeremiah. Jeremiah spoke the prophecy but did not write it. Zechariah then wrote Jeremiah's oral prophecy while omitting the reference to a field because that detail had already been described in Jeremiah 32:6-10.The words from Zechariah 11:12-13 are not the exact words recorded at Matthew 27:9-10. Zechariah does not mention the "children of Israel" and the "field". In fact, only Jeremiah mentions the "field" which is why it is not mentioned in Zechariah. Jeremiah 32:6-10 describes Jeremiah being commanded by the LORD to buy a field with seventeen shekels of silver that may be equal to the 30 pieces in the days of JESUS.

Not really. That is simply your opinion and interpretation proven wrong as you fathers being keepers of the oracles of God did not believe the scriptures or understand them which is why they crucifed the very Messiah that the scriptures that they held pointed to. Time to leave the airport. Your plane has already departed.

Nice to see you again :)

Jeremiah 32. The Lord’s purpose in having Jeremiah buy the field was to demonstrate to the Israelites that the Babylonian captivity was not permanent.

3rdAngel

Bzzzzt!!! Sorry. NOT 30 pieces of silver. Therefore not the "prophecy." There is in fact NO prophecy of 30 pieces of silver in Jeremiah. So much for the honestly of your gospels. And you think I wanna come get baptized???? I think not.
Sure it was. A shekel of silver in Jeremiah's prophecy time is a weight measurment of silver and is not equal to a piece of silver in Roman times. Your denial is amazing. Then again some only see what they want to see.
Your horrendous overuse of the same metaphor is like a scratched aka broken record, that plays the same thing over and over and over. Whatever value that portion of the record may have once had is simply lost in the irritation of the endless repeat. I probably just dated myself!! LOL
A metaphor that has truth in it is still truth. Your welcome my friend. May you recveive God's Word and be blessed. Ignoring it does not make it disappear. :)

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Sure it was. A shekel of silver in Jeremiah's prophecy time is not equal to a piece of silver in Roman times. Your denial is amazing. Then again some only see what they want to see with eyes wide shut and ears closed as said the prophet Isaiah.
It never says that the 30 pieces that Judas got were equal to 17 sheckels. Never. It doesn't tell how many sheckels it was worth at all. It simply says 30 pieces. Now--SHOW ME where in Jeremiah it prophesizes thirty pieces.

Answer: it doesn't. Your gospel writer made it up.

Remember: here is the QUOTE. You have to find THESE EXACT WORDS in Jeremiah

From Matthew 27
9 Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, 10 and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.”

I'm telling you THAT QUOTE IS MADE UP. You will not find it in Jeremiah. Your gospel writer lied.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

It never says that the 30 pieces that Judas got were equal to 17 sheckels. Never. It doesn't tell how many sheckels it was worth at all. It simply says 30 pieces. Now--SHOW ME where in Jeremiah it prophesizes thirty pieces. Remember: here is the QUOTE. You have to find THESE EXACT WORDS in Jeremiah
From Matthew 27 9 Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, 10 and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.”

Sure it was. Your confused here my friend. A shekel of silver in Jeremiah's prophecy time is a weight measurment of silver and is not equal to a piece of silver. Your denial is amazing. Then again some only see what they want to see. The scripture is true but you do not believe it.

The weighing of the silver is explained in the earlier post as shown in both Jeremiah and recorded by Zechariah here...

Zechariah 11:12-13, [12], And I said to them, If you think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. [13], And the LORD said to me, Cast it to the potter: a goodly price that I was priced at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

Matthew 27:9-10 "Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value."

Note
Matthew 27:9-10 does not say "written" word it says "spoken" word. The text does not say how many pieces of silver in Jeremiah's day amounted to this seventeen shekels of silver. A shekel is a wieght measurment of silver that equaled thirty pieces of silver (recorded in Zechariah 11:12-13 as 30 pieces of silver). In any case, since only Jeremiah refers to a God-appointed purchase of a field, the reference to Jeremiah at Matthew 27:9-10 is certainly intentional and not an error as you claim.

Jeremiah spoke the prophecy but did not write it. Zechariah then wrote Jeremiah's oral prophecy while omitting the reference to a field because that detail had already been described in Jeremiah 32:6-10.The words from Zechariah 11:12-13 are not the exact words recorded at Matthew 27:9-10. Zechariah does not mention the "children of Israel" and the "field". In fact, only Jeremiah mentions the "field" which is why it is not mentioned in Zechariah. Jeremiah 32:6-10 describes Jeremiah being commanded by the LORD to buy a field with seventeen shekels of silver that may be equal to the 30 pieces in the days of JESUS.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When what are called "Unitate churches", namely churches that eventually joined the Catholic Church under the papacy, the name "Roman Catholic Church" often became used to differentiate the Roman tradition from that of the Eastern tradition of the Uniate Churches.