• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coffee vs Espresso

Which one do you prefer?

• Coffee

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Espresso

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Other (latte, cappuccino)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Espresso for the taste and for the fond memories of ordering double espressos in Italy during a memorable trip where we walked and sight saw for 8 hours, ate for 8 hours and slept for 8 hours.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Espresso for the taste and for the fond memories of ordering double espressos in Italy during a memorable trip where we walked and sight saw for 8 hours, ate for 8 hours and slept for 8 hours.

That slow food sure beats fast food anytime eh?

I am assuming you were in northern Italy. Rather beautiful isn't it? I don't think a double espresso is the same down south. You'd get the same minuscule amount of liquid filtered through twice the amount of ground coffee and a glass of water on the side

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That slow food sure beats fast food anytime eh?

I am assuming you were in northern Italy. Rather beautiful isn't it? I don't think a double espresso is the same down south. You'd get the same minuscule amount of liquid filtered through twice the amount of ground coffee and a glass of water on the side

Rome, Florence, Assisi, Sienna and the Ligurian Coast.

I had some notable experiences one of which was going into the Colosseum and having the experience of knowing how 'old' felt compared to the US where everything is relatively brand new.

Another was going into St. Peter's and other buildings and thinking about a peasant's emotional reaction to going from experiencing hovels and dirt into magnificent buildings that can take the breath away from even jaded Westerners.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Oh we got lots of bars here, too! :D Just as many as the cafes, though they don't serve coffee like yours. They all have their house beers on tap, though, and they usually bottle their own craft brews (or you can just bottle your own from their selection with a growler).

I think the cafes are more low key places to relax, where bars are where people go to socialize and tend to be more lively. Here, at least. :)

Our bars are quite different. Many bars are pâtisseries too. Meaning, in the bar you can drink coffee or cappuccino have lots of cakes, pastries...croissants.
Quite different from American bakeries (where they sell bread too), whereas our bakeries sell bread and pizzas only. Salty stuff.

Bar sweets
unnamed-3.jpg

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Many years ago i was told by an Italian that to drink coffee in the afternoon is sacrilege and is bad for the digestion, it should never be done in any circumstances. Much better to sip a nice grappa

Right or wrong i don't know, i often have a coffee in the afternoon, perhaps @Estro Felino can enlighten me.

I don't know. I do know that drinking espresso after 6 pm can bring troubles falling asleep.

But many many Italians drink espresso at any hour of the day.

Last edited:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I’m not sure what you would call my coffee, re method of brewing.
I put a cup of water in the microwave, and bring it to the point of physical movement, but not a rolling boil.
It is the point where adding any solid will cause the water to bubble vigorously.

Then I drop a handful of coffee in, and if I have judged it perfectly, the water will boil vigorously momentarily, but stop short of overflowing the cup.

I stir that, which causes lots of crema to form on top, then pour that into another warmed cup through a filter.

Perfect.

A physicist could probably explain why it works so well.

I don’t like the water to boil before adding the coffee. I think it requires oxygenated water to brew the coffee properly.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Our bars are quite different. Many bars are pâtisseries too. Meaning, in the bar you can drink coffee or cappuccino have lots of cakes, pastries...croissants.
Quite different from American bakeries (where they sell bread too), whereas our bakeries sell bread and pizzas only. Salty stuff.

Bar sweets
View attachment 42526

Oh, interesting! Here, bakeries almost exclusively only sell sweet things- especially donuts. :D

e97274877232ac27f53b33602a5202aa.jpg

This is Sluy's bakery. They specialize in Scandinavian confections. Bars here tend to serve more restaurant style foods. There's an Irish pub next to where I live that serves the best shepherds pie I've ever had. :D

ChristineM

Premium Member
One for @oldbadger

I seem to remember discussing Dolce Gusto machine with you some time ago, i think it was you but....

Anyway this morning i found a new coffee. The normal coffee i drink is a shot of espresso or barista espresso with a cafe au lait on top. These espresso capsules very between strength 7 and 9. The new coffee o found is espresso napoli at strength 13... wow

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
One for @oldbadger

I seem to remember discussing Dolce Gusto machine with you some time ago, i think it was you but....

Anyway this morning i found a new coffee. The normal coffee i drink is a shot of espresso or barista espresso with a cafe au lait on top. These espresso capsules very between strength 7 and 9. The new coffee o found is espresso napoli at strength 13... wow

True...... Good memory!
My wife loves Dolce Gusto Cappuccino and I just bought a new Gusto machine for her because the other one broke down; worn out, I should think.

I buy three boxes of Gusto a week for her which is 24 coffees for £10.

I drink tea, and only occasionally pour hot water on to 'Nescafe Gold Blend' for an instant black coffee.

ChristineM

Premium Member
True...... Good memory!
My wife loves Dolce Gusto Cappuccino and I just bought a new Gusto machine for her because the other one broke down; worn out, I should think.

I buy three boxes of Gusto a week for her which is 24 coffees for £10.

I drink tea, and only occasionally pour hot water on to 'Nescafe Gold Blend' for an instant black coffee.

We recently bought another for the same reason