• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

coffee and tea ( decaff coffee and tea )

LilyPhoenix

I now recognize myself as Hindu am vegetarian , i am a recovering Alcoholic and Drug addict
I go to AA meetings most of the time where there is coffee and tea i know that there is a rule for Hindus not to drink coffee or tea the problems am having is weather i can drink it if there nothing else for me to drink and bringing in a bottle of juice with me seems odd and in the past there has been people bringing in drink ( Alcohol mixed with juice ) saying its just juice
Am unsure if i can have decaff coffee and tea ? would that be ok ?
sorry if this seems like a weird question

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not sure where you got the idea that it's forbidden. Tea is widely consumed by Hindus, coffee not so much. I drink both. Maybe some particular sects have some rules against it, but not generally. So in my opinion, just drink it.

Shantanu

I now recognize myself as Hindu am vegetarian , i am a recovering Alcoholic and Drug addict
I go to AA meetings most of the time where there is coffee and tea i know that there is a rule for Hindus not to drink coffee or tea the problems am having is weather i can drink it if there nothing else for me to drink and bringing in a bottle of juice with me seems odd and in the past there has been people bringing in drink ( Alcohol mixed with juice ) saying its just juice
I was born Hindu and have never heard that it is prohibited to drink tea or coffee for any kind of religious reasons. In fact I do not think that even alcohol is banned as such for a Hindu, although it is not a good habit because it can be so destructive.

LilyPhoenix

i always thought that hindus didnt have coffee or tea ... I love Coffee i have all different flavors and kinds i was worried that i had to throw them all way
I also like tea again i have all different flavors and kinds
My husband is an atheist he hardly ever drinks coffee or tea he more of a juice person
Both of us dont drink at all but i have a problem with it my husband just dont like it how it makes him feel plus we have a car he loves driving
so he dont touch it
yes alcohol is very destructive what its makes you feel like the way people behavior is effected what its can do to your body it kills
that one of the many reasons why i stopped drinking
Thank you both for Answering my post

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
The Shri Chai Sampradaya is a living testament of the importance of 4:00 pm tea consumption. Its founder and guru, Shri Dharmakirrana Goswami Maharaj, is a bloody hell fine good example of most vigorous tea consumption, whose ancestors were important members of the sampradaya's founding group in Boston where many grand tea parties happened.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
DA, just don't go drinking about 10 cups of tea to celebrate the news. You'll be up all night.

Here's how to make Madras coffee...

LilyPhoenix

Oh gosh that looks amazing
no i will not drink 10 mugs of tea am having my first one for today decaff
if i get caffeinated tea or coffee after a set time am up all night

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I say don't worry about not consuming tea and coffee. Perhaps there are some strict groups that don't but I wouldn't worry about that.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Dark asylum ji

no not a weird question at all , ...

but first of all congratulations and best wishes for your full recovery , ....

from the above replies it looks like not all Hindus follow the same dietry regulations , ...I am surprised

however amongst our vows is the vow to abstain from all stimulants , so yes it is the caffine in Tea and Coffee ,
but that dosent rule out Herb and Fruit Teas which are far more healty for you in the long run , ....I love Rosehip tea or if you can find Rosehip and Hibiscus ,even better , ... it is so full of vitinin c and anti oxidants that when everyone else is coming down with colds , ...I very luckily seem to escape them ! .....pluss the vitimin C and antioxidants would be great for anyone comming of drugs and alcahol , ....there was an amazing study that found that Rosehip reducesd withdrawal symptoms in Heroin users , ....

Most Yogic and serious meditative traditions avoid all stimulants this includes many Buddhist and Hindu traditions , ...from the Ayurvedic perspective any stimulant destroys ones inner ballance therefore is not condusive to meditation or ones general peacefullness and wellbeing , ...caffine can imballance or increase Vata too much , too much vata brings on a feeling of stress and agitation , ...A realy good thing for you would be to read up on the Ayuravedic principles regarding Diet , as the better you ballance your health the better your chances of recovering from the addictions , I can promice you you will find it a facinating read .

on the subject of decaff , ....if you realy miss coffee occasionaly is ok but it is better to try to wean your self off it I worry a little about the extra processes that decaff has to go through , you loose the caffine but gain some other not so wonderfully pure stuff in the processing , .....

eat as much fresh and unprocesses foods and you will realy feel the difference , ...

Kirran

Premium Member
I agree with ratikala, I don't drink stimulants either, as I follow a meditative and yogic aspect to Hinduism. So coffee is very rare for me. As I do a very strenuous kind of hatha yoga, a cup very rarely is thought to be OK, but it's definitely been a few months now. Decaf is processed, so I don't drink it personally.

So it depends what kind of path you're following, what area of Hinduism appeals to you. And it's important to remember you shouldn't force yourself, or repress anything. Do things slowly, harmoniously.

The Shri Chai Sampradaya is a living testament of the importance of 4:00 pm tea consumption. Its founder and guru, Shri Dharmakirrana Goswami Maharaj, is a bloody hell fine good example of most vigorous tea consumption, whose ancestors were important members of the sampradaya's founding group in Boston where many grand tea parties happened.

This was actually too funny to even deal with. Jai jai Bidalaswami!

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Shantanu ji

I was born Hindu and have never heard that it is prohibited to drink tea or coffee for any kind of religious reasons. In fact I do not think that even alcohol is banned as such for a Hindu, although it is not a good habit because it can be so destructive.

not so much that it is banned but most serious adepts take vows to abstain , ...

please read the Ayuraveda you will realy appreciate the reasons behind its recomendations for abstainance , ....as the toxic efects destroy Sattva , it is considered a poison except in certain medicinal preparations .

yes , ..destructive because it is toxic , it is a poison .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram George ananda ji

I say don't worry about not consuming tea and coffee. Perhaps there are some strict groups that don't but I wouldn't worry about that.

if ones Doshas are perfectly ballanced then a little cafine might not hurt . but too much , ...health and stress problems will result ....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram , .....Poeticus ji

you never cease to astound me , .....

Hughhh Shri Chai Sampradaya , is a cultural intepolation (if you can have such a thing), ...surplanted into the Indian psyche by the Britishers , ...who brought it from China for the purposes of trade , ....And .....Hughhh and even the Habit of afternoon Chai parties is a hangover from colonial habits , .... and all this before Boston was fully founded !

before the interferance of those damnd Britishers all India had to offer was beautifull spiced masala teas with wonderfull health giving qualities , ...and Cardamom , ....yum yum , ...:p

Kirran

Premium Member
Hughhh Shri Chai Sampradaya , is a cultural intepolation (if you can have such a thing), ...surplanted into the Indian psyche by the Britishers , ...who brought it from China for the purposes of trade , ....And .....Hughhh and even the Habit of afternoon Chai parties is a hangover from colonial habits , .... and all this before Boston was fully founded !

before the interferance of those damnd Britishers all India had to offer was beautifull spiced masala teas with wonderfull health giving qualities , ...and Cardamom , ....yum yum , ...:p

Hahaha, ratikala this is a long-running injoke coming off me being British :p

You're British too, I'm sure you could join the Sri Chai Sampradaya haha

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Hahaha, ratikala this is a long-running injoke coming off me being British :p

You're British too, I'm sure you could join the Sri Chai Sampradaya haha

No ! .....I am starting my own Sampradaya following strict Ayuravedic principles , doing all the things that the Bharatias did before the arival of McDonalds , Starbucks Deep freezes and Microwaves , ....we are going to eat so healthily that we never get stressed , ...and because the diet is so pure we will be sattvic in nature , without ego , therefore we will...never argue ! ....just meditate and sing bhajan all day .

I think I will call it Ananda Sampradaya :p

and stick out tongue is quite normal and a freindly jesture (because of my part tibetan ancestory) :p

ratikala

Istha gosthi
I don't drink tea or coffee because I'm vegan, but even if I could, I wouldn't. Sattvik diet is the new trend. ;)

what do you mean New trend ???:p

and you are vegan too , ...Jai Jai

but surely the no tea no coffee is a regulative principle ??? is it same for Sri Vaisnava's ?

Kirran

Premium Member
No ! .....I am starting my own Sampradaya following strict Ayuravedic principles , doing all the things that the Bharatias did before the arival of McDonalds , Starbucks Deep freezes and Microwaves , ....we are going to eat so healthily that we never get stressed , ...and because the diet is so pure we will be sattvic in nature , without ego , therefore we will...never argue ! ....just meditate and sing bhajan all day .

I think I will call it Ananda Sampradaya :p

and stick out tongue is quite normal and a freindly jesture (because of my part tibetan ancestory) :p

Well, there'll be far fewer available puns related to American political movements!

And you will not have Bidalaswami on board (Cat-Swami = Poeticus).

But OK, I'll come visit your Ananda Sampradaya ashram.

I don't personally drink tea or coffee, and don't eat any tamasic food if I can help it, and very little rajasic food even.

Shantanu

namaskaram Shantanu ji

not so much that it is banned but most serious adepts take vows to abstain , ...

please read the Ayuraveda you will realy appreciate the reasons behind its recomendations for abstainance , ....as the toxic efects destroy Sattva , it is considered a poison except in certain medicinal preparations .

yes , ..destructive because it is toxic , it is a poison .
Good advice, unfortunately I am al little addicted to my morning cup of tea:(

I don't drink tea or coffee because I'm vegan, but even if I could, I wouldn't. Sattvik diet is the new trend. ;)
Did they not consume Soma drink as a stimulant in Vedic times?

Kirran

Premium Member
The Aghoris have been getting crazy drunk and doing drugs for a very long time. As in other areas, Hinduism varies on its recommendations for stimulants :)